Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Yes we do.
Lav tried it his way and, bottom line, it did not work = fail.

IF we did it my way and gave Rempe mo mins, it is plausible to view that:
- since Rs desp needed physical presence vs FL
- and Rempe would give that
- then, while it is unclear if that would be enuf [based on several variables incl. dep on how many mo mins Rempe played],
- it IS clear that would be part of the solution, not part of the problem

you too can insist on being contrarian, but the above logic checks out

so if you want to say 'no'
back it up
otherwise, yield to the logic of the situation

Honest question but have the Rangers or any team for that matter done what you suggest ?

Unless a teams rebuilding its a mix of old and young and come playoff time it’s mainly older with rentals added

Rempe isn’t even an nhler in my eyes yet .
I’m fine giving him more looks in the season but he’s still so young and more of a distraction/ purposely

Reactions: TominNC

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
Both of you evaded the question. Specifically, what is KK better at today then he was 2-3 seasons ago? I've never claimed this is is "final form" or that he peaked already. Sure it's common sense to assume he will improve with age, but the year to year gains he showed were very modest. Personally, he looks like the exact same player he was after Gallant's first year here. He doesn't look any stronger or play with any more confidence, nor has his skating improved even slightly.

If we're being honest, he regressed a bunch this year & it had nothing to do with his knee. He was playing some of the worst hockey of his career before he got hurt, so the injury excuse is bogus. He had either 3 or 4 points total after 20+ games when he went down.

I'm not writing him off entirely & I'd love to eat crow, but more & more his ceiling looks like a mid 40 point, 3rd line grinder who hopefully can be an effective PKer. Which is why so many of us have no issue including him in hockey trades that improve the team. I'm not interested in trading him for a 3rd rounder in 2026 simply to remove him from the lineup...I'd much rather keep him here for the season & hope the light finally turns on.
Defense. He was horrendous defensively his first season. Now he can suppress goals.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Igor, like Henke before him, is a crutch. The team leans on its crutch.

There's talk about making hard decisions. A hard decision would be removing the crutch, use the money to improve the skaters, and force the skaters to be the best players.
How is it a crutch? He is a part of the team. That would be like saying a team should yet rid or a top center or an elite defenseman because it a crutch, which also makes no sense.

Reactions: TominNC

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Crutch is the completely wrong word, but if your cap is being dominated by a goalie, and you are too good to be drafting in the early lottery, then yes - it makes it very hard to improve the offensive talent; especially if you don’t play in one of the no income tax states.

You need to make sure that you have a certain amount of offensive output, and with that much cap going to a goalie, it can be to find goals and assists at lower cap hit. Which is why you get the Lundqvist comps. Lundqvist never had teams (especially after his extension) that had this kind of talent in front of him. The unfortunate reality is Lundqvist’s extension did play a part in that. Not saying they’d been better off, but having your goalie paid that high does come with other disadvantages

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
How is it a crutch? He is a part of the team. That would be like saying a team should yet rid or a top center or an elite defenseman because it a crutch, which also makes no sense.
Because we would have lost in the second round 4-1 and/or been swept in the ECF without Igor.

It wasn't like he stole a game or two. He stole 5 of 6 wins after we dismantled Washington.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Because we would have lost in the second round 4-1 and/or been swept in the ECF without Igor.

It wasn't like he stole a game or two. He stole 5 of 6 wins after we dismantled Washington.
I’m failing to see how this is bad?

Dominate player, dominates and we win. So we need to get rid of him?

We had 2 other dominate players in Panarin and Fox (injured) who didnt do anything. If we are getting rid of dominant players, lets get rid of the one who disappears in the 11M panarin. Plenty of money for Igor then.

• Love
Reactions: Filthy Dangles

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I’m failing to see how this is bad?

Dominate player, dominates and we win. So we need to get rid of him?

We had 2 other dominate players in Panarin and Fox (injured) who didnt do anything. If we are getting rid of dominant players, lets get rid of the one who disappears in the 11M panarin. Plenty of money for Igor then.
DominANT

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
People on this board wanting to pay Lindgren 4 mill to be a 3rd pairing dman but don't want to pay the best goalie in the league 10 mill. WTF
I don’t want to pay either. Stuart f***ing Skinner is about to win the cup.

You can’t win relying on a goalie.

Rangers need to remove the security blanket and build an actual elite team .

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
We’ve gotten two of the best playoff runs from a goalie in the recent era with Igor at half the salary he’s going to have if he gets extended and they have ended because the rest of the team was vastly inferior to their opponent. The conundrum is, if you need the goalie to be so good that he has to steal series then the rest of the team is flawed to the point that they usually won’t win the cup, and if you have an elite team in front of the goalie then there’s no reason to pay top dollar for the goaltender.

I’m not saying it’s not a tough choice but the idea of hoping the goalie steals a Stanley cup isn’t appealing.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Florida has made 2 straight cups and are within 1 game if winning this year with the highest paid goalie in hockey.

It’s easy to play this game
yes but this is a guy 35/+ area, looked fine until he went deep in POs, first more vulnerable vs Rs, had to be bailed out by team, and then we see longer finals go, more tired he looks

Shesty is prime incl as to age, and we should get return reflecting that

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Honest question but have the Rangers or any team for that matter done what you suggest ?

Unless a teams rebuilding its a mix of old and young and come playoff time it’s mainly older with rentals added

I’m fine giving him more looks in the season but he’s still so young and more of a distraction/ purposely
1. honest answer: yes
I called return on Nils L to Dallas and to hold firm

2. Mo important, that is NOT the ?
Correct ask is if I got it right, not whether or not R braintrust listened to me.

There is a long list, and my record is more correct than wrong.

-------------------------
Unless a teams rebuilding its a mix of old and young and come playoff time it’s mainly older with rentals added.
Rentals should be avoided b'c only cannibalize futures works vs long term.
Exceptions to every rule, but that should be the rule.

And vets petering out suggests youth, which is cheaper and at least has upside, = more worthwhile way to go, notwithstanding exceptions to every rule.

Your entitled to your op.
We disagree, except as to his being young

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad