Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Looks like Buffalo might buy out Skinner. I wonder if signing him like how Dallas did with Duchene makes sense

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
What do people think of this idea?

Trouba (3.5 mil retained for 2 years)

for

Jeff Skinner (4.5 mil retained for 3 years)

This would result in Skinner costing us 8 mil for 2 years and then 4.5 mil in the 3rd year.

Trouba would cost Buffalo 9 mil for 2 years, after which they'd have a cap hit of 4.5 mil for 1 year.

Buffalo gets a veteran leader who can add some size and physicality to their defense while saving 4.5 mil in the 3rd year.

The Rangers take on an extra 4.5 mil 3 years from now, but they get a player who may be a fit in the top 6.

We could also potentially expand the deal to include Goodrow (1 mil retained) for Jokiharju.

Thoughts?
Sounds like Buffalo is going to buy out Skinner so you can have him for free if you want

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Exactly. There really needs to be some sort of compromise in the cap to 1) level the cost of living/tax playing field and 2) reward teams for drafting and developing well.
The first one is really a non-issue. Multiple agents have debunked the myth that the difference between state taxes is actually a factor in what the players take home. So much depends on how much you are paid in salary vs signing bonuses, where you live your offseasons, what away teams you play, are you putting the money on differend funds etc. Short version: the players (especially the star players who can afford a competent accountant) playing in these high-tax states (Canada, New York, California) will take home just as much as those players in non/low-tax states. Also, living costs? Oh please. Why not make a compromise to the cap where Winnipeg gets extra because the weather is shitty.

For like 95% of the players, they don't really care about the specific # of dollars they are making, or how much more they have to spend on their living. What they care about is how they stack up against their peers, because most of the top athletes have giant egos. That's how they became this good.

As for the 2nd part, there definitely should be a way to keep the players you have drafted OR have played for your team for X number of years much easier. Be it by exemptions, or by a different cap% modifier whatever.

Last edited:
Reactions: frozenrubber

Machinehead

GoAwayBrady
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
download - 2024-06-18T124422.508.png

Skinner drives offense at 5v5 like f***ing crazy.

I'm concerned about the defense number. Not because I care about defense but that number shows up for different reasons. If it's there because he legit just sucks at covering people, I really don't care. If it's there because he avoids the boards and can't hang onto the puck, I'm concerned.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
The first one is really a non-issue. Multiple agents have debunked the myth that the difference between state taxes is actually a factor in what the players take home. So much depends on how much you are paid in salary vs signing bonuses, where you live your offseasons, what away teams you play, are you putting the money on differend funds etc. Short version: the players (especially the star players who can afford a competent accountant) playing in these high-tax states (Canada, New York, California) will take home just as much as those players in non/low-tax states.

As for the 2nd part, there definitely should be a way to keep the players you have drafted OR have played for your team for X number of years much easier. Be it by exemptions, or by a different cap% modifier whatever.
Well every game played in NYC is taxed with the local/state income tax, non resident if your "home" address is elsewhere. (Every game's salary is taxed in the state where the game is played. At least that is how it was explained to me by an accountant. If I'm wrong please don't hesitate to correct me.) As opposed to ZERO state income tax, yes that is a difference. Unless you are an actual tax cheat, there is CERTAINLY an advantage to playing at least half your games in a no tax state.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Ive always kinda liked Skinner, but maybe thats because he has always scored against us. He can put the puck in the net at least but can he gain the zone? Thats kinda what they need at top 6RW

effen

Feb 3, 2018
I feel like Lindgren is the worst at protecting himself of maybe any player I've ever seen. That guy gets horribly boarded like 2x per game. At some point its like...its not them dude, its you.
Libor Hajek waves hi because he can't speak with a feeding tube (he is fine don't worry).

• Haha
Reactions: McRanger92

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Well every game played in NYC is taxed with the local/state income tax, non resident if your "home" address is elsewhere. (Every game's salary is taxed in the state where the game is played. At least that is how it was explained to me by an accountant. If I'm wrong please don't hesitate to correct me.) As opposed to ZERO state income tax, yes that is a difference. Unless you are an actual tax cheat, there is CERTAINLY an advantage to playing at least half your games in a no tax state.
Sure. But if you are not paid in salary but signing bonuses... :naughty:

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Steve Sullivan Jeff Skinner really only fits on a team like Nashville that can support his style.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
View attachment 883928

Skinner drives offense at 5v5 like f***ing crazy.

I'm concerned about the defense number. Not because I care about defense but that number shows up for different reasons. If it's there because he legit just sucks at covering people, I really don't care. If it's there because he avoids the boards and can't hang onto the puck, I'm concerned.

I think he floats like crazy as the big issue

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Sure. But if you are not paid in salary but signing bonuses... :naughty:

If the signing bonus is paid out in NY then that will likely be taxed at the NY rate... Canada has different tax laws than us. Mathews is also an American citizen I don't know how that sits in Canadian Tax Law, but according to your articla it has a huge bearing:

As pertains to "athlete taxes in Canada, the main factor in determining how much Canadian income tax a player pays is based on his residency. While many factors can affect the determination of where a player resides for tax purposes, most foreign-born players, like Matthews, can likely structure their affairs to avoid triggering Canadian residency rules.

Why is residency important? Sticking with the Maple Leafs example, players who are residents of either Canada or the United States are taxed on their entire salary in their home country. Those who are considered residents of the U.S. must also pay tax in Canada – but only to the extent of time on Canadian soil."

And that is also about FEDERAL, or whatever they call it in Canada, taxes, not state or local. I imagine different provinces and cities have local taxes as well, but I don't know the rules up there.

In the states, you are taxed in the state/locality where you earn it. If you are a non resident, you are taxed at a lower rate than resident, but certainly more than a no tax state. If you are being paid to play hockey in NY you are getting taxed.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
hat do people think of this idea?

for

This would result in Skinner costing us 8 mil for 2 years and then 4.5 mil in the 3rd year.

Trouba would cost Buffalo 9 mil for 2 years, after which they'd have a cap hit of 4.5 mil for 1 year.

Buffalo gets a veteran leader who can add some size and physicality to their defense while saving 4.5 mil in the 3rd year.

The Rangers take on an extra 4.5 mil 3 years from now, but they get a player who may be a fit in the top 6.

We could also potentially expand the deal to include Goodrow (1 mil retained) for Jokiharju.

Thoug

What do people think of this idea?

for

Thoughts?
Delete my post here; already info already posted by others. My bad.

Last edited:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
In the states, you are taxed in the state/locality where you earn it. If you are a non resident, you are taxed at a lower rate than resident, but certainly more than a no tax state. If you are being paid to play hockey in NY you are getting taxed.
So who makes the determination on "where you are earning", and based on what grounds? Is there a tax official who makes a judgement call if necessary? Not just talking about hockey, but in general. If you are getting paid for the job while not living in the state? If you are working remote for a job in a different state? If you are working in a different state but living in NY?

Getting a bit astray here but it's the offseason this is what it's all about I guess.

Reactions: bhamill

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
So who makes the determination on "where you are earning", and based on what grounds? Is there a tax official who makes a judgement call if necessary? Not just talking about hockey, but in general. If you are getting paid for the job while not living in the state? If you are working remote for a job in a different state? If you are working in a different state but living in NY?

Getting a bit astray here but it's the offseason this is what it's all about I guess.
If MSG/NYR are paying you a signing bonus, it would seem most likely you are being paid "in" NY. If you work remotely, out of state, for a NY employer, you are still considered to be earning "in NY." As far as actually playing games what I'm told is that base the salary for each game on WHERE the game is played.
A signing bonus isn't exactly "pay" so I'm not going to try to say anything with any certainty, but states write their tax laws to try to generate tax income, not lose out on it.

Yup, its offseason alright. Hahaha.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Stammer and JAM both projected to get 3 year deals with AAVs in the 6s (as per Daily faceoff)? Gimme dat.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If Skinner gets bought out I can pretty much guarantee that a team like Colorado ends up signing him for cheap.

He'd essentially take over the role that Drouin had last year.

I don't think he'd be a fit here, we don't really have the quality forward depth to support a player with his shortcomings.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The Patrick Kane ship sailed a while ago.

The only way it works even a little bit is if they boot Panarin and he'd be like... low on my list of players I'd look at to bridge some of the gap there.

Really outside of Guentzel, I'm not really interested in any of the other "top 6" options out there in UFA and thats a guy I'd grab strictly to slot right into where Panarin plays right now.

• Love
Reactions: leetch99

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
If MSG/NYR are paying you a signing bonus, it would seem most likely you are being paid "in" NY. If you work remotely, out of state, for a NY employer, you are still considered to be earning "in NY." As far as actually playing games what I'm told is that base the salary for each game on WHERE the game is played.
A signing bonus isn't exactly "pay" so I'm not going to try to say anything with any certainty, but states write their tax laws to try to generate tax income, not lose out on it.

Yup, its offseason alright. Hahaha.
I think the truth is somewhere in the middle (as usual lol). But I maintain my stance that the tax-differential isn't really a thing in the NHL. It's just a scapegoat for especially Canadian fans, for why their teams have been so bad they haven't been able to win a cup in 30 years.

Reactions: bhamill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad