Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Darnell Nurse is a 9.25 million dollar player. Let's try and not compare our salaries to the most horrendous outliers please -- recipe for disaster.

McDrai are not fools. They have a decision coming up to leave some money on the table like RNH did in order to build a regular Cup contender. If Draisaitl signs the biggest ticket in the NHL at some point this season we'll know where his priorities lay and we will have to re-evaluate our expectations of this club. We can only be so invested in the club winning as its best players are.

If McDavid and Drai both choose to leave nothing on the table for the club to go out and balance the roster -- if Bouchard chooses the same, we will simply not have enough space to make it work. That's on them.
Leon's original deal had him at 11.6% of the cap. Given the likely cap next year a comparable deal would put him at about $10.7M. Unlike the last time where his deal was based on promise, his current status is much higher. Moreover, even with fairly modest cap increase over the contract it quickly became a bargain. The NHL is on the verge of a potential huge increase in the cap over the next 5 years. Every player in the league knows this. So even at $13M one might argue that it is fair value right now. In that case the value in such a signing will be realized a few years afterwards. If Leon signed an 8 year deal at say $13M, by the mid point of his deal lesser players will be making comparable money. While I would love for it to happen much less than that number is probably unrealistic for Leon.

It certainly looks like we are on the cusp of a significant reset in player values for players in demand. 31 year old Dylan Demelo just signed a 4 year deal at $4.9M. While I like the player a lot he is really a journeyman #4 defenseman. This deal represents a 63% raise over his previous contract and for the most part I suspect people will feel it is a fair deal because competent RHD's are in demand.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Is it fair to say Draisaitl is injury prone as a player?

All his injury are kind of circonstancial and it's not like he have a bad knee that keeps busting but I feel he awlays have something going on.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

All his injury are kind of circonstancial and it's not like he have a bad knee that keeps busting but I feel he awlays have something going on.
Isn't it just the ankle sprain in 2022 and then the broken rib this year?

I could see the argument that he isnt injury prone physically but maybe his play style absorbs too much punishment, but maybe not. With just a couple instances it really could be coincidence. But I'm sure he will continue to evolve his game

Bottom line is that this isn't a concern to me. I have no problem with Draisaitl being a bit of a gamble. Lots of stuff has to go the right way to win. This is no different

Kerberos

Hound of Hades
Nov 4, 2021

Don't think that's fair to be honest. The injuries he's suffered, for the most part, have been things out of his control and he's still managed to play through almost all of them.

The rib and the finger is the first time he's been severely hampered.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting

Physically I wouldn't put it as injury prone. He's put together and strong as an ox and with good supporting musculature supporting joints etc. Guy trains like a madman.

Its the WAY he plays that makes him susceptible to injury but its the way he needs to play to be effective, productive. The trouble with Drai is basically that he requires in his game being a bull, fighting off checks, winning puck battles etc. he plays the game that way because its the way he succeeds. Drai doesn't have the burn speed to break contain. He has to use physicality to survive contact, retain puck, etc.

Lastly McD, Drai, everybody basically exist in hells kitchen version of NHL hockey. They don't have Dave Semenko riding shotgun pummelling anybody. They have to suffer the full brunt of the hacks like Zadorov who are on ice to stop them anyway they know how, and an NHL enforcement that allows anything goes.

If Drai played under the protection of real player protection or protection of an enforcer I don't know he'd be having all the same injuries.

Drai is actually more iron man than not. He misses less games than anybody on the club.

Last edited:

McDaddy

ruh roh
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Physically I wouldn't put it as injury prone. He's put together and strong as an oxe and with good supporting musculature supporting joints etc. Guy trains like a madman.

Its the WAY he plays that makes him susceptible to injury but its the way he needs to play to be effective, productive. The trouble with Drai is basically that he requires in his game being a bull, fighting off checks, winning puck battles etc. he plays the game that way because its the way he succeeds. Drai doesn't have the burn speed to break contain. He has to use physicality to survive contact, retain puck, etc.

Lastly McD, Drai, everybody basically exist in hells kitchen version of NHL hockey. They don't have Dave Semenko riding shotgun pummelling anybody. They have to suffer the full brunt of the hacks like Zadorov who are on ice to stop them anyway they know how, and an NHL enforcement that allows anything goes.

If Drai played under the protection of real player protection or protection of an enforcer I don't know he'd be having all the same injuries.

Drai is actually more iron man than not. He misses less games than anybody on the club.
On the premise of this entire post, the injuries that have come as a result of this years playoff HAS to be an indicator that we need at least ONE tough guy, no?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
On the premise of this entire post, the injuries that have come as a result of this years playoff HAS to be an indicator that we need at least ONE tough guy, no?
I've always thought so and several enforcers exist that can play, and punch, and we've even discarded guys willing to do that.

Another problem though on the club is guys becoming pacifist either through injury or thinking they are too valuable. This describing Kane and Nurse.

The situation has been so desperate on the enforcement front in recent years that we'd had guys like even Puljujarvi and Janmark fighting. I recall Ryan even trying to fight. Mcleod even got in one tosser. Its pretty much a joke as none of those guys can fight.

Kostin was no great fighter either but willing to go anytime, and could erase guys with punishing hits too. The latter is the other thing lacking on this club. So lacking that Holloway in the playoffs saw it as most of his role to go hitting opponents. So little of that in the lineup. Desharnais also a complete joke in the regard. He likes to be physical but can't fight a fly.

The team for years has been so lacking in physicality and hitting that its superstars, McD and Drai have always felt its what they themselves have to bring.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Draisaitl refusing to give any info regarding upcoming potential contract negotiations with the team.

Hopefully just playing it cagey, but didn’t exactly sound like a slam dunk he wants to be here long term moving forward.

Reactions: 5Hollywood5

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
If he wants to be a 14M player. He can be and the Oilers should pay up.

But if he wants to give him and the team a chance to win it all. Him and McD should negotiate an understanding. Market value minus X%. Bouch too should be involved in this planning.
Make sure Draisaitl is overpaid in the 6-8 years of his contract. You know, when they start to get McGrai.

Not sure how to calculate that, but it's a thought. ;)

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Lol. Bout the biggest nothing burger that Leon interview. Handy thought about it. Hasn’t even talked to his agents yet. Hasn’t been on his mind at all. Will figure it out later.

So about to be expected 2 days after the SCFs.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

No. Not at all.
Draisaitl refusing to give any info regarding upcoming potential contract negotiations with the team.

Hopefully just playing it cagey, but didn’t exactly sound like a slam dunk he wants to be here long term.

He was just giving the points his agent told him to. He said he loves playing here. He just doesn't want to sign a bad deal or get lowballed.

The guys on 1440 this morning were predicting a 4 year deal at 14M.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
this is why I rarely post any more. I did not compare the two players. Leon is one of my favorite oilers and I detest the effort put forth by Huberdeau after he got his contract.

My opinion is that Drai's next contract has the potential to be franchise crippling. He is going to be paid 8 years of 12 or 13. Leon will be 30 years old in the first few weeks of his 8 year contract. This could easily be one of those times we ignore the obvious danger and just go ahead
As someone who is old enough to have lived through the exodus of players from the dynasty years and after that the unexpected departure of Chris Pronger, I would suggest the real franchise crippling move would be to let a player like Draisaitl move on whether it be losing him to free agency or trading him. It took us decades to find players like McDavid and Draisaitl and that was in an era where there were far fewer than 32 teams in the league. The team needs to do whatever it takes to sign him. They aren’t replacing him anytime soon.

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Lol. Bout the biggest nothing burger that Leon interview. Handy thought about it. Hasn’t even talked to his agents yet. Hasn’t been on his mind at all. Will figure it out later.

So about to be expected 2 days after the SCFs.
By Day 25 I'll be starting to worry.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

Absolutely not. Boeser is injury prone. Demko is injury prone. Taylor Hall is injury prone.

His ankle injury was from a dirty slew foot. His rib injury, a dirty cross check from Myers.

General comment: I’m also not sure why people are scared he’ll bolt to LA. Why?

Here’s my reasons why LA is a non-factor:

He’s been to the conference finals twice in three years, cup finals once.

LA just extended their interim coach, who after a few players on the Kings said they’d like to try something other than the 1-3-1 after the Oilers booted them, he said they’re sticking with it.

Cam Talbot & David Rittich are your goalies (subject to change).

This is going to sound harsh, but his girlfriend is a D level actress. If she hasn’t become an A or B lister by now, she’s not going to become one. Stick to the Canadian made Christmas Hallmark movies. They’re not married, they’re not engaged, they have no kids so if she wants to chase that, I’d say “Go chase it by yourself. I have my own career and I want to win a championship and that’s not in LA.”

Yes I’m still a bit bitter about losing one mega-star to a D list actress. I’m not in any mood to lose another.

Last edited:

BlackDogg

There is nothing to do in Mockingbird Heights
Oct 3, 2015
Absolutely not. Boeser is injury prone. Demko is injury prone. Taylor Hall is injury prone.

His ankle injury was from a dirty slew foot. His rib injury, a dirty cross check from Myers.

General comment: I’m also not sure why people are scared he’ll bolt to LA. Why?

Here’s my reasons why LA is a non-factor:

He’s been to the conference finals twice in three years, cup finals once.

LA just extended their interim coach, who after a few players on the Kings said they’d like to try something other than the 1-3-1 after the Oilers booted them, he said they’re sticking with it.

Cam Talbot & David Rittich are your goalies (subject to change).

This is going to sound harsh, but his girlfriend is a D level actress. If she hasn’t become an A or B lister by now, she’s not going to become one. Stick to the Canadian made Christmas Hallmark movies. They’re not married, they’re not engaged, they have no kids so if she wants to chase that, I’d say “Go chase it by yourself. I have my own career and I want to win a championship and that’s not in LA.”

Yes I’m still a bit bitter about losing one mega-star to a D list actress. I’m not in any mood to lose another.
If she was an aspiring weather girl, maybe...

Reactions: Ritchie Valens

5 14 6 1

We are the 11.5%
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
No. Not at all.

He was just giving the points his agent told him to. He said he loves playing here. He just doesn't want to sign a bad deal or get lowballed.

The guys on 1440 this morning were predicting a 4 year deal at 14M.
Stauffer says he thinks its will bea 7 or 8 year pact

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Hopefully just playing it cagey, but didn’t exactly sound like a slam dunk he wants to be here long term moving forward.
lol. wat. He answered perfectly. It's a year away, said Oilers have first crack and loves it here. The media tryin to pry him into a decision was the cagey part

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad