Player Discussion Leon Draisaitl's next contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Great post. I do agree that Drai is more efficient than lazy. It's the same with Kucherov who is a smart player and uses his IQ (unlike Mcleod)

That said Drai does take the regular season off and I think those bad habits can hurt him a bit in the playoffs. He has had some bad mistakes.
He's just a larger player. He won't scare circles against the opposition, but he's a good enough skater, is strong like a bull, has a great vision and a shot.

Knob hopes to draifack Florida Cats!

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
disclaimer - if you think this post is BS, I am ok with that.

I have a friend of a good friend who worked with the Oilers analytical group. My good friend is not an exaggerator and I believe what he says. He was told that Oiler analytics do not shed a good light on Leon and they do not want him signed long term. The feeling is that his performance is already falling off a cliff. IMO, this has the potential to be a franchise crippling contract like Huberdeau

I love the guy but you cannot pay for past performance

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I have a friend of a good friend who worked with the Oilers analytical group. My good friend is not an exaggerator and I believe what he says. He was told that Oiler analytics do not shed a good light on Leon and they do not want him signed long term. The feeling is that his performance is already falling off a cliff. IMO, this has the potential to be a franchise crippling contract like Huberdeau

I'd probably fire the analytics group if that is their assessment.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Yeah overpaying him will be a joke. Nothing like watching him skate straight legged all day long

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
Fingers crossed that the profound pain of losing in game 7 of the SCF will influence him to accept less in order to free up more cap space for additional impact players to get them over the line.

/NHLPA and agents say no f’ing chance but one can dream

Reactions: McDoused

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Fingers crossed that the profound pain of losing in game 7 of the SCF will influence him to accept less in order to free up more cap space for additional impact players to get them over the line.

/NHLPA and agents say no f’ing chance but one can dream
His agents may want him to get the most he can but the NHLPA has no role in this. Every extra penny he gets comes out of the pocket of everyone else in the NHLPA.

The position you are suggesting is basically the NHLPA advocating that each of its members contribute some of their pay to give more to Leon.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Comparing a Drai extension to the Huberdeau contract is just shake your head, LOL horrible. Hubie couldn't carry Drai's jockstrap.

We just lost game 7 and this place is already in peak off-season form. Good lord.
It's gross.

I've seen everything from what you mentioned to McDavid and Draisaitl were pathetic in the last 2 games to Henrique was a wasted acquisition to this offseason is going to be depressing. Oh and a new one in the trade thread that the Oilers are too old to compete much longer and may need to rebuild. Oh and that Skinner is a loser also.

Last night sucked hard but the doom and gloom is absurd even for this place.

To get this back on to the Draisaitl topic. This is going to be a tricky contract, you kind of have to sign him because you can't break up the band that was within a goal of winning a Stanley Cup but there's also the real possibility that Drai peaked already and that he'll be paid for past performance as opposed to future projection. He's going to get signed because there is no other choice really but I'm not going to lie, it's a contract I'm nervous about.

Last edited:

topseed

Jun 17, 2024
I'd also be super cautious when signing him. Don't shoot me, but he isn't worth 14mx7-8 or whatever he is demanding. He is definitely on the decline, really disappointed in his series vs Panthers and somewhat vs Stars too. Sounds insane, but really think his RS already showed that he is slowing down. I understand that it's impossible to replace him, but if he asks for all the marble, trade him.

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I know he just had a let down of a finals and I won't make excuses for that, but it doesn't change the ultimate reality. You simply cannot replace this player. That isn't how the league works.

Just have to pay the man and hope he's better on the next go round.

Reactions: McDoused and TB12

rec28

Dec 16, 2003
Vancouver Island
Visit site
His agents may want him to get the most he can but the NHLPA has no role in this. Every extra penny he gets comes out of the pocket of everyone else in the NHLPA.

The position you are suggesting is basically the NHLPA advocating that each of its members contribute some of their pay to give more to Leon.
I understand your point but taken to its logical conclusion, it would suggest that the NHLPA’s ultimate goal is to have every player earn precisely the same salary, regardless of tenure or stature, such that no one has money taken out of their pocket to pay someone else. I can’t see any universe where they don’t advocate zealously for the stars and veterans to get every penny they can.

Reactions: SavoieSeason

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Comparing a Drai extension to the Huberdeau contract is just shake your head, LOL horrible. Hubie couldn't carry Drai's jockstrap.

We just lost game 7 and this place is already in peak off-season form. Good lord.
this is why I rarely post any more. I did not compare the two players. Leon is one of my favorite oilers and I detest the effort put forth by Huberdeau after he got his contract.

My opinion is that Drai's next contract has the potential to be franchise crippling. He is going to be paid 8 years of 12 or 13. Leon will be 30 years old in the first few weeks of his 8 year contract. This could easily be one of those times we ignore the obvious danger and just go ahead

Reactions: Oilers88

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
A broken team one goal away from the Stanley Cup? If the Oilers are broken, then 30 other teams are even more broken. But it's OK. The Oilers have enough diehard fans they don't need fairweather ones. See you.

I understand your angry right now and that too shall pass

• Haha
Reactions: Duke74

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
As one of you mentioned, this is a very difficult question to ponder. I was extremely disappointed in his showing in the last two rounds, especially in the finals. On one hand, I want to wait for the injury report to learn exactly what he was dealing with. Conversely, it seems that he's been injured in each of the last three playoff runs, which raises a few red flags. One is about his conditioning and ability to withstand the rigors of the post-season. Another is about his durability as he ages, which relates directly to his contract.

Reactions: AlbOilFAN

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think that ability to offer an 8th year is pretty big, and might be the path to keeping the average somewhat down. I don't might paying 14x6, so tag on 2 cheaper years and bring that down that average down in the 12's or so.

The MacK deal is a great comparison and outline imo.
1719331523897.png

Yes, the cap's going up, but I think that's offset by Drai being 3 years older at the start of the deal and it covering less of his prime years.

Reactions: McDoused

westbeast

Jun 22, 2017
Give him a blank cheque for all he's done for this team. He and connor deserve it. Anything it takes for them to stay together. With his character and how he didn't play to his standard the last round, maybe he feels inclined to take a hometown discount

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad