Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Skinner will be 33 next year. He's played 14 seasons and over 1000 NHL regular season games but 0 NHL playoff games. I think he holds the record of most regular season games without playing a playoff game. Teams he's on don't seem to reach even a playoffs marker of success. Is it just bad luck? I'm not sure I'd want to find out with a 33 year old and I don't see the Rangers trading their captain this summer let alone for a player with Skinner's history.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Unlike Eco I could give a rat's ass about trading our captain wearer this offseason but I imagine we can do better than straight swaps for Skinner or Laine.

Part of the idea is to move cap. This team needs depth as much as it needs anything else. a 8 million guy for a 4-5 million 2nd line wing would be my ideal transaction, if they could pull it off.

Trouba gew up outside of Detroit. Is there a move there? The Wings don't have much salary, and the most obvious exchange (Copp) doesn;'t excite anyone for good reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: H00fHearted

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Unlike Eco I could give a rat's ass about trading our captain wearer this offseason but I imagine we can do better than straight swaps for Skinner or Laine.

Part of the idea is to move cap. This team needs depth as much as it needs anything else. a 8 million guy for a 4-5 million 2nd line wing would be my ideal transaction, if they could pull it off.

Trouba gew up outside of Detroit. Is there a move there? The Wings don't have much salary, and the most obvious exchance (Copp) doesn;'t excite anyone for good reason.

Athletic suggested something around Holl and Trouba. Id prefer Chiarot but ~3-4mil in cap space is significant and at least youd be playing those guys on the 3rd pair in a role they are suited for.

Reactions: Guyute

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Skinner will be 33 next year. He's played 14 seasons and over 1000 NHL regular season games but 0 NHL playoff games. I think he holds the record of most regular season games without playing a playoff game. Teams he's on don't seem to reach even a playoffs marker of success. Is it just bad luck? I'm not sure I'd want to find out with a 33 year old and I don't see the Rangers trading their captain this summer let alone for a player with Skinner's history.

Yes, it's bad luck.

Reactions: Ail

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Athletic suggested something around Holl and Trouba. Id prefer Chiarot but ~3-4mil in cap space is significant and at least youd be playing those guys on the 3rd pair in a role they are suited for.

Holl and Maata make sense to me from Detroit

May aswell keep Trouba without the benefit of some cap space Atleast next year

Trouba is easier to move in the final season

You just use Holl as the spare and play Jones

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
why?
b'c he's a name?

Holl and Maata make sense to me from Detroit

May aswell keep Trouba without the benefit of some cap space Atleast next year

Trouba is easier to move in the final season

You just use Holl as the spare and play Jones
no
why make a win lose move now by keeping when w/modest retain, we can recover futures?

this is not 4th level chess, peeps

surlysailor

May 12, 2012
BK
Does anyone think Perron might sign a 1 year deal? I could see him being a fit to move around the lineup between KZ & whatever the 3rd line might be. If not him I could see JVR being an ok stop gap who can be a net front guy on pp 2.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
why?
b'c he's a name?

no
why make a win lose move now by keeping when w/modest retain, we can recover futures?

this is not 4th level chess, peeps

They have no picks to dump guys contracts
do you want an Edstrom attached to make it worth the dump for another team ?
Either keep Trouba or move for some cap space but they would to take a dump like Holl back for sure

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Does anyone think Perron might sign a 1 year deal? I could see him being a fit to move around the lineup between KZ & whatever the 3rd line might be. If not him I could see JVR being an ok stop gap who can be a net front guy on pp 2.

He's not a very good fit because his best ability is being a left circle triggerman on the PP which is not an available role.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
He's not a very good fit because his best ability is being a left circle triggerman on the PP which is not an available role.

You make sense but he’s also likely only a 1 yr commitment . They may need to search that kinda of guy out

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Ok fair, but Chiarot really sucks.

He has no idea what offense is at the NHL level. If you're going to target a player like that, it's fewer assets to just keep Lindgren.

Id want Chiarot more because Lindgren gets knocked off the ice by a swift breeze at this point. Im just resigned to the fact that we're getting a bad player back if we move Trouba.

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013
If we're only offered junk like Skinner or Chiarot for Trouba, just keep Trouba and trade Lindgren

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If we're only offered junk like Skinner or Chiarot for Trouba, just keep Trouba and trade Lindgren
That’s the alternative, yes.

Though I think we’d need both Lindgren and Goodrow out to make a significant splash at right wing or any other position. And that’s if we assume Schneider gets a bridge

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Need to find the next Stralman for this D group.

Possession monster who's sneaky effective, flys under the radar and is a cheap 3rd pairing guy who can play 20+ min if needed.

Gus was a good signing that was similar but he was exposed in the playoffs. I'd like to give Jones an extended look in his spot although the result when it really matters may be the same.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
trading a ppg 1st line winger who is best friends with your other top line studs for a mediocre draft pick and a 4th line plug is pretty bold.
Just for clarity: Buchnevich was never a PPG player here. His last year he was 0.88PPG. The two years prior he was 0.67 and 0.59PPG...

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
Id want Chiarot more because Lindgren gets knocked off the ice by a swift breeze at this point. Im just resigned to the fact that we're getting a bad player back if we move Trouba.
I feel like Lindgren is the worst at protecting himself of maybe any player I've ever seen. That guy gets horribly boarded like 2x per game. At some point its like...its not them dude, its you.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
i don't think this fact really diminishes my argument.
The fact that Buchnevich was never as good here as you made him out to be? Sure it does. It diminishes it but does not negate it. The deal was bad but there's no need to exaggerate to make it worse.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The fact that Buchnevich was never as good here as you made him out to be? Sure it does. It diminishes it but does not negate it. The deal was bad but there's no need to exaggerate to make it worse.

Some people will still be talking about Buchnevich on their deathbed

Reactions: bhamill

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad