Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
I know everyone is focused on the d, but we need to talk about centers. What is this team doing?

Zib is now playing like a #2, trocheck IS a #2 having a career year, and chytil we hope can make it through a season. This is not good

The org is absolutely going to need to find a legit center for next season. They cannot go into the season with chytil as the 3c and this new version of zib. I love chytil, but if they do that they are setting themselves up for issues, and buying a center at the deadline is insanely expensive.

We wont have the room to try to sign lindholm unless there are some major salaries moved (and if you add a player like that how are the centers laid out??).

Where is nyr finding a top 9 center that they can rely on. We need center depth, we NEED IT!
Trade Chytil straight up for Cirelli.

Cirelli fills a bigger need for us to have a middle six center that is defensively responsible, good on draws, plays with good pace in straight lines and is generally in the lineup.

Chytil would have a real top 6 shot in Tampa since they already have point and paul as their "1 and 3".

Saves Tampa money that they badly need for other players.

Cirelli's cap is a bit high, but we can make it work and he is a good age that would help him fit in.

Chytil is the worst possible option to rely upon as a matchup center/a center at all. They played him at wing when he came back partly out of need and partly cause the middle of the ice as a bottom 6 center is a tough place to be.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I really am tired of hearing about regular season's around here. For some reason people keep talking about reg season and such. For the better part of 5 years I have been preaching playoff team building and people dismiss it.

Now writers and others are acknowledging that this team as built might be able to get to conference finals but it consistently shows that it is not built for the next step. The panthers are a wonderful example of an org that found reg season success and then realized they needed to change how they are built in order to get to 16 wins.

I dont care about 55 wins, I care about how to get to 16 wins and what we have down the middle doesnt get there...

I understand that but if we got by Florida we probably win the Cup. I think to say we dont have the team to do it is a bit reactionary. You can never have to much center depth but Chytil's presence has hamstrung them because what looked like a good deal a year ago is now a question mark. The only way I see them adding a top 9 C is if someone takes Chytil or he shifts to the wing.

Trade Chytil straight up for Cirelli.

Cirelli fills a bigger need for us to have a middle six center that is defensively responsible, good on draws, plays with good pace in straight lines and is generally in the lineup.

Chytil would have a real top 6 shot in Tampa since they already have point and paul as their "1 and 3".

Saves Tampa money that they badly need for other players.

Cirelli's cap is a bit high, but we can make it work and he is a good age that would help him fit in.

Chytil is the worst possible option to rely upon as a matchup center/a center at all. They played him at wing when he came back partly out of need and partly cause the middle of the ice as a bottom 6 center is a tough place to be.

Id actually prefer Nick Paul to Cirelli because he is bigger & cheaper but that doesnt really help Tampa's cap crunch.

Reactions: Mandar

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I think that last statement is both true and false.
You can realize that you have a tiny window, and make moves to fit in that window, sacrificing future years to do so.

You can also ignore the tiny window.

Holland got ripped a few years ago for saying that the oilers couldn’t go for it every year, which wasn’t totally invalid, but if you have an open window ignoring it is even stupider.
Short and long-term goals aren't mutually exclusive.

Over the last 3 years, we've traded away significant assets at the deadline, and we have nothing to show for it except for a few late picks. That's a very good way to shorten our window to compete.

Smart teams trade for players who will help them both short and long-term. Everyone is suggesting that Vegas will trade Theodore. Why? He's a good player who can help them win now. But he only has 1 year left on his contract, and they just traded for his replacement and signed him to a long-term deal. Now they can recoup some of the assets they traded away by trading Theodore. Their lack of draft picks and lack of ELC players will eventually catch up to them, but at least they are trying to remain competitive for more than 1 or 2 years.

Tampa missed the mark on Jeannot, but they made a great move to get Hagel.

Why can't we make moves that help us both now and in the future? Why must we go all in over the next couple years and then blow it up again?

People complain that we've only won 1 cup in 84 years but continue to advocate the same strategies that produced only 1 cup in 84 years.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
I understand that but if we got by Florida we probably win the Cup. I think to say we dont have the team to do it is a bit reactionary. You can never have to much center depth but Chytil's presence has hamstrung them because what looked like a good deal a year ago is now a question mark. The only way I see them adding a top 9 C is if someone takes Chytil or he shifts to the wing.

Id actually prefer Nick Paul to Cirelli because he is bigger & cheaper but that doesnt really help Tampa's cap crunch.
Yeah I understand that but yes. This move needs to happen. I doubt it will though. Drury is too conservative and we are a boring team it seems. We need to be better in the middle and he is the only guy that might be available and that plays the style we need.

We likely just bring everyone back. Boring f***ing team.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I think that line of thinking is dangerous, you are relying on other teams to not improve and to get all the same breaks that happened this year. I mean as the carolina series evolved I think objectively we could say that NYR could have easily been eliminated in the second round and most likely if kreider doesn't go ham in the 3rd period of game 6 we are done. Each season is new and different, the center depth of this team and the org is alarming as it sits.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I've mentioned him before, but what about reaching out to Bill Guerin to see what he wants for Marco Rossi. For whatever reason, he's reportedly available after scoring 40 points last year. There's a young C who's shown he can play with good players in Kaprizov and Zucc, has pace to his game, and has strong underlying numbers. He's small, but he's got a good base to keep building up lower-body strength. Would be a very different player than we've had in the system before, and he'd be a good bet to have a top-6 option moving forward.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Yeah I understand that but yes. This move needs to happen. I doubt it will though. Drury is too conservative and we are a boring team it seems. We need to be better in the middle and he is the only guy that might be available and that plays the style we need.

We likely just bring everyone back. Boring f***ing team.
If we bring everyone back I’ll have zero motivation to even watch the team next season.

We are boring and conservative, but it’s not just Drury it’s the whole organization from top to bottom.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I still like Zadorov in place of Lindgren as a partner for Fox. Leetch did well partnered with a big mean bastard in his day. I know Big Z has his limitations but he fits a lot of our needs. In my ideal scenario we have a guy who cans skate and protect Fox. Teams took liberties with him all year.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I dont think chychrun is the answer here, BUT would people here trade chytil for him?

I would strongly consider this. The salary is a wash, I personally dont trust chytil's health at this point in the long term so in some ways this is ripping the infected scab off so you can start to heal and move on. May chychrun is only here for a year, but then you have the cap space that you wouldnt have with a chytil contract still in place that you HOPE he is healthy for. Either way I think you need to add a center to this team, so instead of potentially fooling yourself with chytil's health you can move on and start a different plan.

I still like Zadorov in place of Lindgren as a partner for Fox. Leetch did well partnered with a big mean bastard in his day. I know Big Z has his limitations but he fits a lot of our needs. In my ideal scenario we have a guy who cans skate and protect Fox. Teams took liberties with him all year.
Zadorov would be a disaster in that role. an absolute disaster. He is not a top pair d and if you push him into that role you will regret it. He is a bottom 4 d, not a top pair guy.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
If we bring everyone back I’ll have zero motivation to even watch the team next season.

We are boring and conservative, but it’s not just Drury it’s the whole organization from top to bottom.
That's not to say we aren't good. We are. But we haven't made a trade for a proper signed and young player that can help us now and in the future since......Trouba? Before that.....Z.

Can't be afraid to take a chance. Go get the player we need.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I dont think chychrun is the answer here, BUT would people here trade chytil for him?

I would strongly consider this. The salary is a wash, I personally dont trust chytil's health at this point in the long term so in some ways this is ripping the infected scab off so you can start to heal and move on. May chychrun is only here for a year, but then you have the cap space that you wouldnt have with a chytil contract still in place that you HOPE he is healthy for. Either way I think you need to add a center to this team, so instead of potentially fooling yourself with chytil's health you can move on and start a different plan.

Zadorov would be a disaster in that role. an absolute disaster. He is not a top pair d and if you push him into that role you will regret it. He is a bottom 4 d, not a top pair guy.

As opposed to the 4 other disasters we currently employ on defense. At least Zadarov isn't a bitch like the rest of them.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I thought the idea was to replace the "disasters" with better options, not with a higher paid disaster?

Yeah I mean I spent the morning having people telling me Chychrun isnt worth it, even though hed be our #2 d-man instantly. Tough crowd.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
That's not to say we aren't good. We are. But we haven't made a trade for a proper signed and young player that can help us now and in the future since......Trouba? Before that.....Z.

We have a gaping hole at RW, we should be in on Necas. 40 ES points with minimal PP time. I know he wants a bigger role, he might not get a ton of PP time (although a second unit with him Laf and a real PPQB could give Lavi the option to start the 2nd unit) but he'd be entrenched in the top 6 for a long time. We know he's available and id love to take advantage of Carolina's cheapness again. Maybe something around Chytil? Carolina doesnt have much at C.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Just don't see Trouba being moved this summer. On D I think there's a possibility that the Rangers find a larger more physically imposing partner for Fox and move on from Lindgren.....but maybe not. It's something I would think about. I think the Rangers do need to upgrade the physicality of their D and if not by upgrading on Lindgren then bringing someone else who can do that on their bottom pair. That said the solution might even come from within if Mancini is up to the job. I'd move along from Gustafsson too. It's not that he was bad but most all of his offensive production came in the first half of the year. His defending was okay but I think we can do better.

Necas had his moments in the playoffs against us but he wasn't a driving force. I wouldn't give up Miller for him. I think K'Andre is a better player.

Most of our prospects don't really carry as much value as some people think. That's not to say that some of them might not become NHL players but really that the only really high functioning/value prospect is Gabriel Perreault. The rest aren't really. Othmann for instance his upside is at best 2nd line wing on a good team and he might not even get there. The Rangers have a lot of high floor guys but apart from Perreault no really top end high ceiling guys. Perreault is the guy that other teams are going to ask for if they're trading someone serious.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
We have a gaping hole at RW, we should be in on Necas. 40 ES points with minimal PP time. I know he wants a bigger role, he might not get a ton of PP time (although a second unit with him Laf and a real PPQB could give Lavi the option to start the 2nd unit) but he'd be entrenched in the top 6 for a long time. We know he's available and id love to take advantage of Carolina's cheapness again. Maybe something around Chytil? Carolina doesnt have much at C.
They aren't going to trade with us. Though they do have a need at 2 positions for which we can provide a player. LD and RW.

But the Center one I'm not sure about. Aho, Drury, Staal, Kotkaniemi, Suzuki and technically Kuznetsov. That's kinda a lot though I guess there is some potential for a Kotkaniemi buyout.

And our hole at RW doesn't concern me as much as center. I think Berard and Othamnn can provide wing support and Perreault the year after. I want a real center.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I mean laine is a pure shooter, exactly what we had in Vatrano, only laine is better.
I think we could absolutely use what he brings when he’s healthy and engaged.
yeah, NO
even not getting into who has baggage, would rather have Vats
Laine is entirely 1 dimensional, and more importantly a lazy bum to be avoided

Vatrano is known as a "pure shooter", but he also brings tons of energy and good vibes to the lineup. Laine sucks the air out of the room. Key difference there.
correctimundo my friend

I could see the Islanders working.

Trouba would waive because he and his wife could stay where they are. The Islanders are a caveman ass organization that will give up value for Trouba.

Rival teams do trades with each other. It's not unprecedented.
Give me a wk +, I'm busy
big deal needed huge +s and -s both sides

first impression, something around
zib + Trouba +
for
Dobson, jpg +++

Trade for Chychrun. He only makes 4.6 and will be on the block. I always do my homework.
Go back to school
he's not worth acquiring b'c cost to maintain = not worth it
also, ok to a pt in certain facets
but not dominant and let's not overrate

Losing in the ECF when we wouldve beaten the West winner is painful. Igor and Laf are on the last year of being cheap. Im not hoarding assets right now. Rangers need to get better.
No, you are giving them away so each year we are further and further behind the 8 ball and it is harder and harder to win w/reduced assets/

When will you learn
listen to bern
extend the max window
rental win now forego

Im willing to trade future assets for win now help. That's what you do when you are this close to a Cup. Use Kakko and Lindgren (or assets for them) to get Chychrun (or a comprable player that I am not thinking of). Im not the GM so Drury can figure out the nitty gritty of it all. You say we cant get a better and cheaper player than Lindgren but we got Gustafsson off the scrap heap for the minimum last year. If youre worried about the downstream consequences for the team in 3-4 years, you might want to reframe how youve been viewing this team. Its a 2 year window, then everything will change.

Hes better than Miller offensively by a mile. Chychrun has had 3 double digit goal seasons before age 26. He also shook the injury bug this year playing all 82. There's no perfect player, but he fits our needs, timeline and we know he is available. I dont think you can hold 1 point in 9 Covid bubble layoff games against him either. OTT is trading him because no one wants to sign there, remember DeBrincat's cameo up there?
Confession is good for the soul

But for umpteenth time, it is an exercise in futility, if not stupidity

Becomes even easier to trade Panarin, Trouba or Kreider next year with a year less on all their deals. Im really not concerned about the salary cap. Deal with it next year. Its also going up organically. If they can turn Miller/Lindgren/Kakko into Necas and Chychrun (in the current hypothetical im being quizzed on), thats 3 guys who dont need to get paid next year so by design theyd be creating future flexibility. Could absolutely look for a way out of Chytil's deal as well. Whoever isnt moved out of the Rempe/Edstrom/Berard/Othmann/Sykora/Perrault group will also be backfilling forward spots over the next 2-3 seasons.

And yes Id rather pay Gus what Lindgren is asking for than Lindgren. Ideally neither are back.
trading Kreider is not smart

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's not the "young" players that have bombed out in the team's last three playoff years.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs and CLW

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

These descriptions and numberings (he's a #4-5 etc.) don't mean anything.

Zadorov played 3rd most minutes for Vancouver on the backend and was their best defenseman in the playoffs. He wouldn't be asked to drive the bus paired with Fox obviously, he wouldn't be asked to do anything on the PP obviously, and he'd probably be the 2nd/3rd rotation on the PK.

If he carries over his play from this last season, no doubt he'd be a pretty big positive on the "top pair" with Fox.

Reactions: McRanger92

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I see no reason for this team to use the assets they have to acquire another winger. UFA? Sure, that works. And I think there are some decent, short term RW options available. Perron, Joshua, Marchessault, maybe even Bertuzzi.

If they’re trading prime assets it needs to be a defenseman coming back

Reactions: GAGLine

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
These descriptions and numberings (he's a #4-5 etc.) don't mean anything.

Zadorov played 3rd most minutes for Vancouver on the backend and was their best defenseman in the playoffs. He wouldn't be asked to drive the bus paired with Fox obviously, he wouldn't be asked to do anything on the PP obviously, and he'd probably be the 2nd/3rd rotation on the PK.

If he carries over his play from this last season, no doubt he'd be a pretty big positive on the "top pair" with Fox.
Zadorov is 29, has been on the league for 10 years. And that playoff run was his best stretch of hockey he had played so far in his career. And now some people want to drop 6x6 on him based on that one run after Zadorov has demonstrated for 10 years that he's a third pairing D-man?

God give me strength...

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Lomborg is one guy I’d like the Rangers to consider if he becomes available. Real shit disturber.
I like Lomberg, but also am not very keen on spending cap on 4th line spots. We have guys that at least deserve a shot there. Would rather use that money elsewhere

Count me in on the Necas for K'Andre trade Brooksie snuck into his "dump Goodrow"(I also co-sign this) article over the weekend.

Vesey/Brodzinski/Edstrom replace everything Goodrow gives us for a lesser cap hit combined. Use that money and put it toward and upgrade in the top 6 or on D. I like Trenin if we want some veteran beef in the bottom 6. Joshua and Carrier are going to be expensive.
Absolutely not

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Maybe I'm wrong, but it's not the "young" players that have bombed out in the team's last three playoff years.
Oh I wasn't arguing that we shouldn't do that. I am saying we need to get a player that is the right age that can help now and going forward. That's why I like Cirelli. I think he fills a big need.

I don't mean sign a bunch of old guys. Haha. I want to see Edstrom, Rempe, Jones, Berard and Othmann all next season. Young legs. Tenacious players. Not afraid to mix it up and go to the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00