Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I felt like Cuylle could develop into a good 13 minute per game 3rd liner; but maybe 9 minutes ES on the 4th line and PK work is his calling
I don't know, I'm kind of in a weird spot with Cuylle.

He scores goals at a good even strength rate, he's a very good defender, and he's physical. He's far from being a detriment. He also doesn't really add much. His passing is terrible and he has no offensive ability outside of being in the right place at the right time.

He's very similar to Vesey. Like, I wouldn't freak out if Vesey had to play in the top 9, but if I end up having to demote Vesey to make a clear upgrade, I wouldn't blink.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I will say this, I do think Cuylle is an NHL asset; I'm simply saying that, if I had to, I'd put him on the 4th line if there's somebody else that can play. He's fine.

f***ing Kakko, I'd scratch to put Rafael Diaz out there.

Two completely different levels.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

He scores goals at a good even strength rate, he's a very good defender, and he's physical. He's far from being a detriment. He also doesn't really add much. His passing is terrible and he has no offensive ability outside of being in the right place at the right time.

He's very similar to Vesey. Like, I wouldn't freak out if Vesey had to play in the top 9, but if I end up having to demote Vesey to make a clear upgrade, I wouldn't blink.

I think it's also important to note that Cuylle is a bit of a unicorn in the Rangers top-9. He's a player who legitimately seeks out physical contact. I wouldn't be ecstatic to see him pushed to the 4th line and replaced with a mainly skill player.

For all intents and purposes, Cuylle had what amounted to a very good rookie season. 21 points in 81 games, playing ~11 minutes a night and mainly playing most of the season with Bonino and Goodrow as his centers. I wouldn't be shocked if at the end of this upcoming season he's hovering around 30 points and 15g. That's solidly a 3rd line player, especially when you consider his physical play.

I also want to see him on the PK

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think it's also important to note that Cuylle is a bit of a unicorn in the Rangers top-9. He's a player who legitimately seeks out physical contact. I wouldn't be ecstatic to see him pushed to the 4th line and replaced with a mainly skill player.

For all intents and purposes, Cuylle had what amounted to a very good rookie season. 21 points in 81 games, playing ~11 minutes a night and mainly playing most of the season with Bonino and Goodrow as his centers. I wouldn't be shocked if at the end of this upcoming season he's hovering around 30 points and 15g. That's solidly a 3rd line player, especially when you consider his physical play.

I also want to see him on the PK
+1 for not saying "intensive purposes."

I agree about the PK 100%. Regardless of what line he plays on at 5v5, Cuylle really needs to PK to have a lot of value in this league. That's just the way it is for his type of player.

We probably start the year with him in the top 9 and that's fine. I don't not like him. I'm just saying, if Berard gets a look and he's great, a la Hagelin when he came up, Cuylle is not at the level right now we're I'm gonna say "sorry, Brett, this is guy is locked in." Ditto for Othmann if it ends up being him.

And again, I'd just drop Kakko first but I see that being less realistic due to draft pedigree. They're going to do everything to squeeze value out of Kakko.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I will say this, I do think Cuylle is an NHL asset; I'm simply saying that, if I had to, I'd put him on the 4th line if there's somebody else that can play. He's fine.

f***ing Kakko, I'd scratch to put Rafael Diaz out there.

Two completely different levels.

Well and Cuylle is the type of player that can grow and improve out of a 4th line role, like Anisimov did.

I don't think he has much more than 15-15 upside and so you're talking about topping out as a middle 6 guy anyways.

He was very ineffective in the 2nd and 3rd rounds last playoffs. Focusing on making the most out of his 9 minutes has to be the first priority. His skating speed is decent. He has very little in terms of hands (puckhandling, his deflections are fine) or vision. But as Kreider/Hagelin showed, that can come with time.

NYR need to be open to Othmann/Berard taking that 3W out of camp with Chytil and Kakko if they earn it. Bott should get substantial looks in preseason.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
+1 for not saying "intensive purposes."

I agree about the PK 100%. Regardless of what line he plays on at 5v5, Cuylle really needs to PK to have a lot of value in this league. That's just the way it is for his type of player.

We probably start the year with him in the top 9 and that's fine. I don't not like him. I'm just saying, if Berard gets a look and he's great, a la Hagelin when he came up, Cuylle is not at the level right now we're I'm gonna say "sorry, Brett, this is guy is locked in." Ditto for Othmann if it ends up being him.

And again, I'd just drop Kakko first but I see that being less realistic due to draft pedigree. They're going to do everything to squeeze value out of Kakko.
The Rangers need to trade a young winger for a young LD. There are way too many players sniffing around those bottom six wing spots. Kakko, Berard, Othmann, Sykora, Cuylle, Edstrom, Rempe, Vesey.

8 players, almost all of whom are young and likely to be here for years, fighting over 4 spots.

Perrault not included here because he’s a top six player. You can argue that Othman. May be as well, but even then, we have way too many bottom six wing prospects.

Problem is I think every team does.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012

That's fair, but I also don't think Cuylle after one NHL season at 22 years old is near a finished product...

• Love
Reactions: leetch99

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
The Rangers need to trade a young winger for a young LD. There are way too many players sniffing around those bottom six wing spots. Kakko, Berard, Othmann, Sykora, Cuylle, Edstrom, Rempe, Vesey.

8 players, almost all of whom are young and likely to be here for years, fighting over 4 spots.

Perrault not included here because he’s a top six player. You can argue that Othman. May be as well, but even then, we have way too many bottom six wing prospects.

Problem is I think every team does.
I think Berard is also destined for the top 6.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011

He reminds me of Brian Boyle on offense. Capable, can score, uses his body well, but doesn’t have a touch with the puck. He actually has a pretty decent wrist shot though, he has scored on the rush several times with it (similar to Vesey I suppose).

Reactions: Machinehead

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
At the expense of who? I don’t see it unless multiple pieces are moved.
I don't think it will be immediate (obviously), but despite what others here are saying, I think there will be some major changes in the forward lines in the next 2-3 years. Kreider can be moved...Panny's contract is nearly finished....I can even see Zib waiving if his BFF is no longer here. That's 4 spots in the top 6 right there.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
All for that but Berard? He’s got Kreider Panarin Lafreniere Smith ahead of him and likely Othmann, Perault, Kakko, etc… also in front of the line. Cuylle too. Don’t see a spot for him.
Berard is a better prospect than you're giving him credit for. He could easily take a spot from Cuylle and he could easily beat out Othmann. That would put him amongst our six best wingers.

He's way ahead Perreault right now for no reason other than their ages. I would be very surprised to see Perreault on the Rangers before 2025-26.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Berard is a better prospect than you're giving him credit for. He could easily take a spot from Cuylle and he could easily beat out Othmann. That would put him amongst our six best wingers.

He's way ahead Perreault right now for no reason other than their ages. I would be very surprised to see Perreault on the Rangers before 2025-26.

Dude, what?

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Pretty cold take?

I was thinking just straight up outlandish at this moment and I have high hopes for this kid.

Cuylle is coming off a great 1st season, has Lav behind him fully and he and Kak didn’t play with an offensive minded NHL center all season. That line was a mess and I don’t blame Cuylle and Kak for that at all. They can play a shut down game. However, they also had/have untapped offensive upside. This couldn’t be tapped into by the positively dogshit centers they played with who couldn’t score to save their lives.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I was thinking just straight up outlandish at this moment and I have high hopes for this kid.

Cuylle is coming off a great 1st season, has Lav behind him fully and he and Kak didn’t play with an offensive minded NHL center all season. That line was a mess and I don’t blame Cuylle and Kak for that at all. They can play a shut down game. However, they also had/have untapped offensive upside. This couldn’t be tapped into by the positively dogshit centers they played with who couldn’t score to save their lives.
Cuylle is far from established. You didn't make it after one decent rookie year.

I certainly think Cuylle has a guaranteed spot out of camp and a spot in the top 9 that's his to lose, but it's far from unassailable.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Cuylle is far from established. You didn't make it after one decent rookie year.

I certainly think Cuylle has a guaranteed spot out of camp and a spot in the top 9 that's his to lose, but it's far from unassailable.

I agree that Berard will be a player. Though the chemistry between Kak and Cuylle was undeniable. Now, who knows what Lav does there, does Kak go back to the wonder twins line? I dunno, maybe? Does Chytil stay healthy and we FINALLY get to see him in between Kak who he has plenty of proven success with and Cuylle? That’s what I want. It has the makings of a serious third line.

I just think Berard cutting his teeth on the fourth line wouldn’t be the worst thing, injuries happen and he can get bumped up too. Taking Cuylles spot outright? I really just don’t know.

Also, him staying on a hopefully very strong pack team will not hurt his development at all.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I agree that Berard will be a player. Though the chemistry between Kak and Cuylle was undeniable. Now, who knows what Lav does there, does Kak go back to the wonder twins line? I dunno, maybe? Does Chytil stay healthy and we FINALLY get to see him in between Kak who he has plenty of proven success with and Cuylle? That’s what I want. It has the makings of a serious third line.

I just think Berard cutting his teeth on the fourth line wouldn’t be the worst thing, injuries happen and he can get bumped up too. Taking Cuylles spot outright? I really just don’t know.

Also, him staying on a hopefully very strong pack team will not hurt his development at all.
I mean, I guess.

I think if you have a line of Cuylle, probably Chytil, and Kakko versus a line of you, me, and @EdJovanovski, we probably score before they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad