Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Love Ehlers but why do I have a bad feeling he turns into a ghost in the playoffs.
Because he does. 14 points in 37 games.

On top of that, he needs a new contract next summer which we won't be able to afford given everyone else we have to pay, so he's basically a 1-year rental. Easy pass.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005

Someone is gonna have to explain to me how Vegas has money to go after Stamkos.

Excellent news. Would be nice if he’s not petulant and allows us to get an asset and accepts a trade to his old home instead of holding out and getting waived where it’s a spin of the wheel as to where he ends up, but good to know that he’s gone either way.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Who is the 4C FA signing? I’m not sure you get a better player for as cheap as Wennberg likely will be
no wenn under any circumstances

No nhl team thinks your way

If they did it your way they would always have players like Nils Lundkvist who are prospects and then do nothing

The team would super suck and be a revolving door

Leafs would have to add a Jarnkrok
As usual you are wrong

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The Kane to the Rangers stuff started two weeks ago with Frank Seravalli. Frank said Kane had unfinished business in NY. Chris Johnston said on his pod that the Rangers were the leading contender for Kane last week. Johnston said there was a lot of Kane to NY smoke out there. The Kane couldn't have given Kane that bonus laden contract. The Rangers didn't want to offer more than one year and Detroit was only offering one year. Brooks jumped on the Kane bandwagon after he has spent the last month saying the Rangers need to get bigger and faster. Brooks is already talking about the 2025 trade deadline. The Rangers don't need to spend their space in the summer. Help us.
I don’t think he’s wrong. Lets not hand out a really dumb contract to a 4th liner today.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
OT question (per se) -- When a player hands in his x-team no trade list to team management, how long is that list in effect?

Thanks.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
ok, this is my revised...

1. Shesty 5.6 + Zib 8.0 + Lindgren rfa for Nylander 11.5 + Knies .925 x 1 + Liljigren 3 x 2
ballpark cap even

Ls repurpose Nylander into best G, rely on Matthews to drive offense; Zib = younger replacement for Tavares; swap of D acceptable w/Lindy better to clear crease, ballpark cap neutral there

Rs get bread replacement fixes 1st line, Kreider - Nyl bookends, give Knies a shot at pivot there to start; Lilj = actual righty D; Quick + Domingue hold it while Garand joins and breaks in asap

Zib will waive b'c it is clear much of the vet core is being moved, and top 6 in TOR w/AM + Marner is not bad relocation

-------------

2. Panarin max retained to like 5.8 + Trouba max retained to 4.0 + Othmann elc + nyr 2025 1st
for
Dobson

a) bread is not gonna get a deal that is not insulting, let alone sniff 11+ from us, and this is best way for him to save face w/o it appearing ugly. Isles famously offered more when his deal began, so $$ aspect good there.
b) Trouba wants to stay close to nyc, this is close enuf. He is also had at half x 2.
c) Then after splurging/wasting on rentals etc, getting a good F prospect full elc is huge; and the pick is nice.
All that is too much to turn down, even for Dobson, who will get huge salary hike next deal

===================

Kreider - Knies - Nylander
Berard - Tro - LaF
Cuylle - Chytil - KK
Vesey or upgrade - Edstrom - Rempe

Fox - Dobson
KAM - Schneid
Scanlin - Lilj

Quick/Doming/Garrand

---------
keep an eye out for Zegras + Pinto

Stamkos has no legs left. He would be a disaster playing C.
both immediately and over term of his deal

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I admit I haven't been watching him closely as of late.

Larry Brooks is of the opinion that unless the Rangers can get Stamkos or Marchessault they basically should stand pat.

Maybe it's a good thing I'm not GM then, but if I didn't have a winger I wanted, if I had a Trouba trade that was reasonable in place (Solid return with retention or a wash without), I'd put feelers out on a couple of the top 4 defenseman on the board out there.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
OT question (per se) -- When a player hands in his x-team no trade list to team management, how long is that list in effect?

Thanks.
For the year or until he is traded, I believe. If we trade Trouba to Detroit and then Detroit trades him at the deadline, I believe they would need to ask him for a new list, but not 100% on that part.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
For the year or until he is traded, I believe. If we trade Trouba to Detroit and then Detroit trades him at the deadline, I believe they would need to ask him for a new list, but not 100% on that part.
It's very murky. For instance, I read that the list is not part of the contract, which is what makes the term a question for me. As for the second part of your response, I found the following:

"The clause is removed unless the acquiring team agrees to keep it. If the player has a modified NTC or NMC (M-NTC or M-NMC) and is traded to a team on their list, the clause remains in effect."

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
It's very murky. For instance, I read that the list is not part of the contract, which is what makes the term a question for me. As for the second part of your response, I found the following:

"The clause is removed unless the acquiring team agrees to keep it. If the player has a modified NTC or NMC (M-NTC or M-NMC) and is traded to a team on their list, the clause remains in effect."
That's a separate question. I thought you meant the list itself, rather than the NTC clause.

I think the NTC remains in effect regardless. I remember there was a lot of confusion about it following the Dadanov trade from Vegas to Anaheim that was nixed. I think as a result of that, the league determined that the clauses would remain in effect, but I could be wrong.

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
That's a separate question. I thought you meant the list itself, rather than the NTC clause.

I think the NTC remains in effect regardless. I remember there was a lot of confusion about it following the Dadanov trade from Vegas to Anaheim that was nixed. I think as a result of that, the league determined that the clauses would remain in effect, but I could be wrong.
I was asking about just the list. Apologies -- I misread the last sentence of your response. (Doing too much at work as I'm off rest of week.)

Thanks much.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
You might take it, but Igor won’t.

Again. The real world exists
Bye bye then.

Better be as a 13th forward.

Stephenson is the way to go. He can be 3C and basically do what Trochek does. Put Kakko and Cullye with him as a PITA shut down line. Chytil can start with the twins.

I forgot Lomberg will be floating around. He might be a target. If Edstrom is going to really play 4C imagine a line with him, Rempe, Lomberg. Ouch to the other team.

You have to put Kakko with someone who can score if you want three good lines. The shutdown line thing, we saw that in the playoffs, don't want it recreated again. The line was good defensively but a zero offensively.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad