Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
@bernmeister

disagree

NHL game must be adapted to in many ways. cannot expect rookies to be able to contribute the same way without a strong core. rangers are currently youngest team left.

Need a mixture of vets young players and rookies.

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Developing Edstrom, even if he’s a 4th liner, would be very beneficial.

I don’t disagree though that the forward group could use someone willing to engage physically. I know the team doesn’t need a wing but man Bertuzzi would be a good addition with the way he plays.
We have that guy already but he considers himself just a goal scorer these days . He could play a larger role physically no question on that . He can do both with his tools .

A friend of mine who is good friends with one of our former Assistants got together with him around Christmas and they were chatting on Kreider and other things . The assistant told him that Kreider would drive Gallant absolutely bonkers during games . He said Kreider would when he felt like it make a big move to hit a guy and end up just barely missing them most times .

Don't shoot the messenger ! I'm just informing the fan base here . IMO he could be a Tkachuk type even if only for a few games if he wanted to be the difference maker for us . Kreider with a few select hits could take over game 3 .

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
We have that guy already but he considers himself just a goal scorer these days . He could play a larger role physically no question on that . He can do both with his tools .

A friend of mine who is good friends with one of our former Assistants got together with him around Christmas and they were chatting on Kreider and other things . The assistant told him that Kreider would drive Gallant absolutely bonkers during games . He said Kreider would when he felt like it make a big move to hit a guy and end up just barely missing them most times .

Don't shoot the messenger ! I'm just informing the fan base here . IMO he could be a Tkachuk type even if only for a few games if he wanted to be the difference maker for us . Kreider with a few select hits could take over game 3 .

We have been hearing about what Kreider "could be" for 13 years now and people still can't accept him for what he is.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022

thx for the intel

Reactions: leetch99

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
thx for the intel
In one of the Cane games...Kreider did a drive by past Orlov where he could have knocked him on his ass and he then proceeded to make a pass for a Cane goal.....that is the stuff that happens when you DO NOT take men out when you have the chance , If the hits are there....you take them especially at this time of year .

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

I think Kreider is what he is at this point. He’s not going to line guys up with monster hits. He is tough to play against in his own right just by his shear strength and ability to play in and around the net. And he’s going to give you 30-35g every season like clockwork.

In saying that, the other element the team needs should come from others.

It’s like people complaining that Panarin isn’t a physical player. Augment the roster with guys who are

Reactions: cheech70

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Typing a bunch of words about how Kreider could be this or that is wasted energy at this point. Who even gives a f*** about what a former assistant says about him or what Gallant thought.

Kreider is what he is and wasting time wishing he was a physical wrecking ball is…a waste of time

He’s not going to be that, he’ll never be that, no matter how many words you type

I’d argue he’d be less effective offensively if he tried to do that.

Reactions: TominNC

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
So why was the entire Hartford team called up ? lol
Because it doesn’t affect the cap and the Rangers aren’t a cheap organization. Those guys who worked hard all year get to travel in style and see what goes into playoff prep. And good seats for the ECF.

Why not?

Typing a bunch of words about how Kreider could be this or that is wasted energy at this point. Who even gives a f*** about what a former assistant says about him or what Gallant thought.

Kreider is what he is and wasting time wishing he was a physical wrecking ball is…a waste of time

He’s not going to be that, he’ll never be that, no matter how many words you type

I’d argue he’d be less effective offensively if he tried to do that.
Fans spent years wishing Boyle was a goon. Now they love him. Fans will miss Kreider when he’s done

Reactions: Kendo

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
What makes Tkachuck is his attitude and personality. That's not something you can just flip on and change how you play easily, especially when it's never been your style and you're closer to the end of your career than the beginning. Why say "Kreidre could be that" why not Zibanejad? Laf? Trocheck? Any player on the team could theoretically "be our own Tkachuck" if they magically had a personality change and started to play the way he does, why single out Kreider?

It's amazing enough that Kreider changed his game as much as he did to specialize in being a goal front presence and is having career years at the age he is, expecting him to turn into a nasty style player is wishing your aunt had balls

effen

Feb 3, 2018
What makes Tkachuck is his attitude and personality. That's not something you can just flip on and change how you play easily, especially when it's never been your style and you're closer to the end of your career than the beginning. Why say "Kreidre could be that" why not Zibanejad? Laf? Trocheck? Any player on the team could theoretically "be our own Tkachuck" if they magically had a personality change and started to play the way he does, why single out Kreider?

It's amazing enough that Kreider changed his game as much as he did to specialize in being a goal front presence and is having career years at the age he is, expecting him to turn into a nasty style player is wishing your aunt had balls
No one's wanting him to be Ryan Hollweg. It's actually quite nice to get ice-level verification of what you see when you watch this guy just miss some good body contact a suspicious amount of time.

Mika does something like this constantly when the puck is on the boards and he skates in to engage he engages on what is obviously the wrong shoulder and the defender easily just shrugs him off and gets the puck out.

This is normal engagement stuff and it's not weird to want it done correctly when it's purposely done wrong.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
correct on Kakko
if he truly doesn't deserve to stay on merit, that's one thing
bern says,
chem is important
give him + Cuylle a full shot w/correct C, pref Chytil to start
the points will come

Another reason not to sell low and give him away when it is on the club to provide complementary linemates

For younger players on contending teams they should make the best of their opportunities when they come. Lafreniere has done that and got on to the top line regularly this year. I look at Trocheck's line as our best line and Zibanejad's our second best. When the vets on our top two lines are playing and producing the way they should and meeting or exceeding their cap hits I'm not for pushing him out just to see what a younger player will do. Younger forward on the 3rd line or whatever is going to have to bide their time and work at becoming the best 3rd liner they can be and it doesn't hurt if they can play at another position or kill penalties.

I really look at Cuylle as a 3rd line type. Maybe he'll work his way up to 2nd line eventually but what I see is big body, hard forecheck go to the net and pretty solid on the defensive side of the puck with an occasional fight and lots of hitting. Players like that are very valuable even if only 3rd liners. So far I don't see quite the skill level where I'd be happy with him in a top 6 forward position at least not for one of the better teams in the NHL.

I don't like f***ing around with things that are pretty much working well already. Eventually players age out or someone will get hurt and someone below moves up and really for real shows he can produce and handle the ice time but when it's a good team openings aren't always going to be there. For average or not very good teams there are more opportunities but team's like that are often forced into taking shortcuts. So young stud right out of the draft puts up a point a game but his play away from the puck is awful and his team stinks and it could be the better part of a decade before they get a decent enough team together to make the playoffs. That's a shortcut and the Rangers haven't been doing that since David Quinn which is a good thing even if some of our younger guys point production is disappointing. The same guys have all around games and don't make many mistakes.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I hope not, but I get it if he would.
I’d sort of get it but at the same time I’d be saying to myself, “What has this guy remotely shown to think he can or should be asking out?”

I don’t think he’s really shown anything that would make another team think he just needs a change in scenery. One-speed guy that resembles Marcel Hossa more and more every day.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
The only thing Kakko should return is to the team next year. Trading him at this point is idiotic unless the player asks out.
That’s the rub. Your on a ticking clock with a player on a short term deal with reinforcements nipping at his heals not not far behind…..
He’s a 2 time playoff scratch by 2 diff coaches.
I doubt he requests a trade publicly, doesn’t strike me as the type. But bet ur bottom dollar him and his agent are not too happy right now.
Your right on not wanting to trade at lowest possible value, but trades are never an ideal situation….. if hes irreplaceable, there would be no trade….
With cap space/wingers in system/contract/demoralized player etc etc
This is starting to turn into a mild lundkvist situation…..
It was obvious the kid wanted to be a regular, and Schneider basically came in a took a spot that was ear marked for him

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I am grateful we lucked out to win, after narrowly avoiding snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Wenn had an accidental, excuse me tip in = OT winner. Could not replicate it 1 in 100 if he tried, for all the tea in China.
But that said, like Rico Carty once said, I'd rather be lucky than good.

That said, Rs need to note:

Chytil is looking better, still lotta rust, but wasted as a W.
MUST MUST MUST be 3C betw Cuylle + KK, period.
Stop experimenting.
POs not the time for that.

keep bread - Tro - LaF intact
so esp w/Wheeler not an option,
the answer is go w/hot hand Goodrow on first line, either to RW or at pivot w/Zib to RW, whichever has best chem

Rempe played less than 5 mins
WRONG
don't wanna PP, fine
don't wanna PK, I have an open mind
other than that, over 60 mins, 4th line should be getting at least 15 mins
NO EXCUSES

we have a track record and w/this guy we are something like 20-1 w/him in the lineup
USE THAT
Panths are a tough team, must get comeuppance, what goes around comes around, etc
that won't change their game plan, but it will wear them down more than us over course of the game

btw, Good's 1st goal, Rempe was solid in front of net, a force unable to be moved, requiring Bob to pay attention,
as to that penalty resulting in PP g for FL, I looked at it carefully,
imo, he got gypped. Minimal incidental contact, did not see boarding/holding interference etc

Anyhoo
Bob is 35, possibly JUST A LITTLE BIT tired. Use that. Their backup sucks.
Try to make this a short series.
Esp if we are up, give Quick a period to let Shesty relax.

Meanwhile, get back to reality
Should do edstrom, but if not, like I said above, Good to 1st line, Chytil to 3rd
Wennberg ok as def only 4th line

lgr

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
other than that, over 60 mins, 4th line should be getting at least 15 mins
NO EXCUSES
The 4th line should get 1/4 of the ice time at minimum? Wouldn't that mean that one of the other lines gets LESS time than the 4th? Because unless everyone literally gets the same 15:00, one of the lines is going to have less than that.

Saying "at least 10 min" would be completely reasonable. Saying "at least 15 min" is bonkers.

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
The 4th line should get 1/4 of the ice time at minimum? Wouldn't that mean that one of the other lines gets LESS time than the 4th? Because unless everyone literally gets the same 15:00, one of the lines is going to have less than that.

Saying "at least 10 min" would be completely reasonable. Saying "at least 15 min" is bonkers.

When factoring in PK, PP, or trying to score it's even more asinine.

iamitter

Thornton's Hen
May 19, 2011
NYC
If Kreider hit people more with his speed and size and maybe developed his one-timer, he'd be prime Ovechkin.

He is what he is and I'm happy with him. He's one of the best home grown Rangers forwards we've ever had.

Sometimes players tweak their game as they get older to adapt (ie. Panarin this past year), but what folks forget is Kreider already did that. He's become one of the league's premier net front guys - potentially the best.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

When factoring in PK, PP, or trying to score it's even more asinine.

The premise is correct, follow thru on #s was wrong
Premise = here, playing =ish time all 4 lines =
1.) solid pressure vs FL top line, which = physical benefits as game goes on
2) more rest for our top 3 lines

The #s w/zero PP/PK and no OT = 60 mins divide by 4 lines = 15 mins

but correct to note error to overlook PP/PK

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Stop coaching Pat!
20240527_133408.jpg

Status