Roster Building thread - Part X - (TDL edition)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I like where your head is at. The Rangers need to parlay some of their young wingers into other positions of need to balance the roster. Not all of Othmann, Berard, Sykora, Edstrom, Kakko, and Lafreniere are going to get significant minutes with the big club. Panarin, Kreider, and Cuylle are the top 3 line LW's for the next three years at least. Outside chance one of the vet wingers gets moved in 2025 or 2026. Lafreniere broke out and is showing why he was a 1st overall pick. It took 4 years.

Kakko is a 20 goal, 45-50 point player. Disappointing for a #2 overall pick but still a very useful player. I'd approach him with a 7 or 8 year deal worth $3 million per year. Give him the Calle Jarkrok deal. If he doesn't take it, you use his trade value to go after a LHD with team control. I find it hard to believe Montreal would trade Guhle but I'm all over that if he's available.

I'd operate under the assumption Chytil is never playing hockey again this summer if I'm Drury. Lots of options in UFA and via trade. Lundell will be in a good situation in Florida still. Reinhart will get paid in UFA. He and Bennett are the #2a/2b options and can be swapped interchangeably and get both PP and PK time, plus learning from the best 2 way center in the game of the same nationality.

Shane Pinto. Long Island kid. Suspended for sports betting. Ottawa is always in a state of disarray. He has Stutzle and Norris ahead of him on the depth chart. Time to rip off Ottawa again. Lindgren for Pinto and a 2024 2nd rounder.

The Rangers can deal their 2025 1st for a LHD. Options are scarce though. Will take some good scouting and a little bit of luck. The 2024 1st is going to be used unless the Rangers win the Cup.
I like Kakko. He just needs a change of scenery. Try to find players on other teams in the same situations. The team isn't happy with them. There is an issue with the coach. Torts and Farabee. The current management team didn't draft that player. Farabee. The other team doesn't want to pay that player. The player the Rangers acquire will be here for a while. The Rangers have traded all of their picks but as long as the Rangers have good young players on their roster, they will be fine. Those draft picks aren’t replacing those players.

Kakko on the Panthers would great for him. They play that big and heavy game. Lundell would be very good on the Rangers if Chytil can't resume his playing career.

Othmann at less than $900,000 for two more seasons can replace Kakko on the 3rd line. The Rangers use Kakko to fill another need.

Byram wanted more playing time. I was listening to EF on 32T a few weeks ago. I call him EF because I sent him a note a twitter and sent me a DM using EF to close out the message. He said a few Avs players told him Byram wouldn’t reach his full potential playing on the Avs with Makar and Toews ahead of him. They had a need at center ever since Kadri left two summers ago. Mittelstadt solves that need.

I was reading a Detroit Red Wings mailbag at The Athletic before the trade deadline. Their Wings beat writer Max Bultman wrote Kakko could be an option for the Wings this summer. He wrote Kakko would be worth a 1st round pick. The Wings do have some good prospects. The Rangers need a roster player.

The 2024 first round pick should be in play for a roster player if it's possible.

The Rangers have traded away all of their picks in 2nd and 3rd in 2024, 2025 and 2026 for rentals and removing Nemeth's contract. If the Rangers make the Cup finals and Roslovic plays 50% of the playoff games, the pick becomes a 3rd in 2026 instead of a 4th.

Trading the other future first round picks is not a sustainable philosophy.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I like Kakko. He just needs a change of scenery. Try to find players on other teams in the same situations. The team isn't happy with them. There is an issue with the coach. Torts and Farabee. The current management team didn't draft that player. Farabee. The other team doesn't want to pay that player. The player the Rangers acquire will be here for a while. The Rangers have traded all of their picks but as long as the Rangers have good young players on their roster, they will be fine. Those draft picks aren’t replacing those players.

Kakko on the Panthers would great for him. They play that big and heavy game. Lundell would be very good on the Rangers if Chytil can't resume his playing career.

Othmann at less than $900,000 for two more seasons can replace Kakko on the 3rd line. The Rangers use Kakko to fill another need.

Byram wanted more playing time. I was listening to EF on 32T a few weeks ago. I call him EF because I sent him a note a twitter and sent me a DM using EF to close out the message. He said a few Avs players told him Byram wouldn’t reach his full potential playing on the Avs with Makar and Toews ahead of him. They had a need at center ever since Kadri left two summers ago. Mittelstadt solves that need.

I was reading a Detroit Red Wings mailbag at The Athletic before the trade deadline. Their Wings beat writer Max Bultman wrote Kakko could be an option for the Wings this summer. He wrote Kakko would be worth a 1st round pick. The Wings do have some good prospects. The Rangers need a roster player.

The 2024 first round pick should be in play for a roster player if it's possible.

The Rangers have traded away all of their picks in 2nd and 3rd in 2024, 2025 and 2026 for rentals and removing Nemeth's contract. If the Rangers make the Cup finals and Roslovic plays 50% of the playoff games, the pick becomes a 3rd in 2026 instead of a 4th.

Trading the other future first round picks is not a sustainable philosophy.

Bryam is still stuck behind Dahlin and Power in a second pairing role playing second pairing minutes. They workhorsed him for a few games to see what they had but his minutes have dropped down the last few games.

Kakko likely sees the same utilization wherever he goes.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Bryam is still stuck behind Dahlin and Power in a second pairing role playing second pairing minutes. They workhorsed him for a few games to see what they had but his minutes have dropped down the last few games.

Kakko likely sees the same utilization wherever he goes.
And that wouldn’t be the Rangers problem

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
the problem with "brodz can provide what Bones brought" is that we continue the cycle of bleeding assets at TDL to patch significant holes.
I don't mind the 3rds and 4ths quite so much, but if Chytil comes back it's a non-issue anyway. If he can't, then maybe a 1st and/or 2nd is on the table for a longer term solution. A Mittlestadt or something.

This is all predicated upon Fil's situation being up in the air. If we buyout Goodrow, then we can get a $4m 3C in the offseason and still fit in a healthy Fil. No TDL needed.

Yea. I’m not counting on this team performing the same way next season. We’ll be good, but 50 plus wins is a tall order.
Sticking brods or a stop gap Bonino type signing at 3C is just a band aid on a gun shot wound.
I’m leaning more to the side of thinking team must count on being without chytil really long term…..
I’d rather 3C be addressed in the offseason rather than the TDL. The costs are higher and the choices are far more limited
If chytil is cleared by mid-season or so next year, great. That’s 1 of them good problems.
If not, barring any unforeseen injuries, top 3 Cs should be set all next season
I'd rather address it in the offseason as well, but that would require a Barclay buyout. Both those things happen, and we'd be STACKED if we can add a healthy Chytil on top. Having 4 quality C in the top 9 is the way to go.

The band-aid on a gun shot wound is what will have to happen if we can't trust Drury to get out from under Goodrow's contract. Mentioning Brodz was a worst case scenario, not a preference.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
Earlier in the year I wouldn't have traded Kakko, now I'd be more considering. And really that has less to do with Kakko and more to do with how Laffy and our prospects performed. I think KK has flashed plenty of tools that show he can be a good top 6 player. Look at Nichuskin's career path... breakout season at 26 and now he's been around a point per game. Lots of good players in the league that haven't hit their stride until their mid 20s.

That being said, the season that Perreault is having... not to get ahead of ourselves... but he looks like a shoo-in to take the final top 6 spot in the near future. Then you look at Othmann and Berard, they're both having strong rookie seasons in Hartford. There's a lot of competition there. I'd probably lean toward holding on to Kakko for another season because all 3 of those kids could need another year, but I'd understand if they make a move this summer.

And just to segue from the above, that's why I wouldn't be aiming for any big RW targets. The last thing we need is to commit money to someone and then Perreault comes in and pushes them down to the third line. Or they block one of the kids... you also have to think there's a good chance they aren't going to get much PP time.. so you're paying strictly for EV/5v5 play. Whether it's those Philly guys, Batherson, etc... 5,6,7 million for a guy that isn't going to play on the PP isn't a great allocation of $. I'd much rather stick to the players in-house and sign a short term stop gap. Plenty of those sorts of UFAs this summer.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I like Jake Evans. $1.7M cap hit. He would be a good player for the Rangers. These two teams aren’t making a trade.
Agreed on that. Both points…..
They really need a Novak type guy there….. hard part is finding one…
I like Wennberg, but for a long term solution a 3C with more bite that can be dominant on face offs would be ideal.

P S. Give Micheal peca a raise and make sure he goes no where

Reactions: Kendo

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Does drury have the balls to move Trouba this offseason? Cant be paying a guy $8mm to be on our 3rd pair. Hes only owed $12mm total over the final 2 years but money is far better spent paying a 3Rd pair RHD like a ruhwedel league minimum to play with jones until the 2025 TDL where we can then bolster it with a move like dallas made getting tanev this year.

Reactions: mas0764

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Does drury have the balls to move Trouba this offseason? Cant be paying a guy $8mm to be on our 3rd pair. Hes only owed $12mm total over the final 2 years but money is far better spent paying a 3Rd pair RHD like a ruhwedel league minimum to play with jones until the 2025 TDL where we can then bolster it with a move like dallas made getting tanev this year.
…so that we can pay another center

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Wennberg doesn’t need to be a long term option to be re-signed. Give him a 4 year deal with little to no trade protection in years 3 and 4. That’s a moveable contract as he’s probably looking at $3.25m per season or something like that.

Reactions: Kendo

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Surely you jest?

Not really. I think he is extremely poor positionally and makes a lot of really bad decisions with the puck. Looks like a typical 3rd pairing defenseman to me who gets overvalued because he is physical and was a former first round pick.

I'm not sure the organization sees him that much differently either. Look how they handled their other recent young defenseman. Miller was in the top four right away playing 21+ mins a game. By the second half of Fox's second season he was playing 20+ mins every game and then 24 mins since. Meanwhile, in 3 years Schneider has never managed to break off the third pair, never hit 16 mins/game, and never even got regular PK time.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

JoeGarelli

Jun 24, 2013
At some point if they keep trouba, is there concern Schneider will regress? you can't keep this kid on the 3rd pairing. Is this contract related, to keep Schneider's stats compressed? Braden looks like a stud. He is twenty f***ing two.

Trouba is tough to watch. Trouba is a predator,but its his only good attribute. It's tough watching him with the puck. It's tough watching him without the puck. Perhaps his wife can preform a brain operation on him?

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
I wonder which direction the causation flows. Is Braden getting more limited minutes because Trouba is being overrated by the coaching staff, or is Trouba being overused because Schneider is not seen as a full time 2nd pair guy?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
i think the reason schneider doesn't see 22+ mins a game is because their 8mm captain and some guy named adam fox are on the right side.

And what is the reason that in 3 years that he has not once been used as a regular on the PK? You would think that should be his ideal role. He doesn't get limited PK time when everyone is healthy. He gets near zero PK time. He has had under 10 seconds 22 times. He can very easily be a regular there instead of Fox, and then you get Fox an extra 5v5 shift after the PK, but he is not.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
At some point if they keep trouba, is there concern Schneider will regress? you can't keep this kid on the 3rd pairing. Is this contract related, to keep Schneider's stats compressed? Braden looks like a stud. He is twenty f***ing two.

Trouba is tough to watch. Trouba is a predator,but its his only good attribute. It's tough watching him with the puck. It's tough watching him without the puck. Perhaps his wife can preform a brain operation on him?
LOL’d at the last sentence
But yea especially now that we have probably the biggest name enforcer in the league who instills fear and can change momentum with a big hit or fight & can play 4th line minutes instead of being relied upon to be a top 4D, Trouba becomes even more redundant than he already was.

JoeGarelli

Jun 24, 2013
I wonder which direction the causation flows. Is Braden getting more limited minutes because Trouba is being overrated by the coaching staff, or is Trouba being overused because Schneider is not seen as a full time 2nd pair guy?
I think about this, simply because this might be one of the best coaching staffs ive seen for nyr.. Lavy seems to make smart moves. obviously im not in the room, but He comes across as tough, but fair, and smart. He seems like torts, but without mind games. And the rest of the staff is top notch too. so maybe they see something about schneider that indicates he needs more time.. He is 22.. I will also add lavy has the best hair of any coach , Looks like he cuts his own hair, slicks it back.. when they get an overhead, his head is shiny too.. how does he do that?

but lets face it, theres a hierarchy.. they traded pioink and a first. He makes around 8 million a year, he is kinda the face of the team wearing the "c". I thought it was common knowledge players don't lose a spot in the lineup over an injury.

but it is tough to reconcile those two facts when you watch trouba throughout a game. the most common look on trouba's face is confusion. I think his predator nature, being intimidating and such is really something people invovled in the nhl covet.. Man he makes miller look worse though. I had high opinion of Gorton, but i think he missed on trouba.

listending to the yotes broadcast, tyson nash just loves trouba, cant stop talking about him and how good he is.. But when trouba made mistakes on goals, he was just the "rangers defenseman" and nash seemingly couldnt identify him. conspiracy theory, maybe nash is the coyotes mouthpiece buttering fans up for a summer time trade. yotes defense sucks..

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad