Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Two things:

1) Uncle Larry lists Howden as a W there

2) That defense needs work and we severely lack a 1LD. I suppose we could try TDA, but we know about his defensive deficiencies and he may not be the best guy to pair with Trouba. Maybe one of our insiders can chime in, but perhaps we could trade Brendan Smith along with a third rounder (we have two in 2021) in a cap dump to open more cap space and then use that cap space to acquire a top-4 LD like Vince Dunn? It'll obviously cost a prospect or two, but it may be worth it.

There’s a hole at LD for sure but a little patience would be a prudent approach. When the Rangers got on a run down the stretch last season Smith was very decent paired with Trouba. Miller, Reunanen, Robertson and Hajek will all get a chance to grab a spot there. Now that ADA and all forwards got their contracts Gorton (and potential trade partners) should have more certainty than earlier in the offseason to put a deal together, but it’s more likely that he will first try to assess what they have before making any moves.

Reactions: egelband

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Two things:

1) Uncle Larry lists Howden as a W there

2) That defense needs work and we severely lack a 1LD. I suppose we could try TDA, but we know about his defensive deficiencies and he may not be the best guy to pair with Trouba. Maybe one of our insiders can chime in, but perhaps we could trade Brendan Smith along with a third rounder (we have two in 2021) in a cap dump to open more cap space and then use that cap space to acquire a top-4 LD like Vince Dunn? It'll obviously cost a prospect or two, but it may be worth it.

It needs work if you feel we are contending for a cup this year, we aren't. We will be giving kids opportunities on the left side and if they fail we have Johnson and Smith, not a fan of Johnson, but maybe Martin sees something and Smith was decent after Skjei left. Its not ideal, but not surprising given where this team came from, is at and is heading. The big mistake would be adding an expensive dman and then realizing that Miller for example is as good or better in a years time at a fraction of the cost, and if we are just adding a plug in on the cheap it won't propel us to a cup run anyway. Patience is key.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
It needs work if you feel we are contending for a cup this year, we aren't. We will be giving kids opportunities on the left side and if they fail we have Johnson and Smith, not a fan of Johnson, but maybe Martin sees something and Smith was decent after Skjei left. Its not ideal, but not surprising given where this team came from, is at and is heading. The big mistake would be adding an expensive dman and then realizing that Miller for example is as good or better in a years time at a fraction of the cost, and if we are just adding a plug in on the cheap it won't propel us to a cup run anyway. Patience is key.

Pretty sure JJ is here to help transition to the Martin system. Not sure it’s necesssary but whatever it’s 1 yr and doesn’t block a kid IMO. Hajek or Ruenanen can earn minutes still. Miller should get top AHL minutes

Reactions: egelband

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City

That's the thing. I think we can contend. Call me a crazy optimist, but I think we're definitely playoff contenders as it stands now.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
That's the thing. I think we can contend. Call me a crazy optimist, but I think we're definitely playoff contenders as it stands now.

I love optimism but we didn't change the team much and got swept by Carolina, i realize it wasn't under ideal circumstances but we were never in that series at all, and to be fair without stellar goaltending we wouldn't have beaten them all year. I think we have a long way to go personally. Adding Lafreniere should help, but we also lost Fast, a key defensive player and more importantly one of our better penalty killers on a team that needs help there. My personal timeline is to make playoffs this year, make a bit of a run next and then when guys like Miller, Kravtsov, Lundkvist, Barron etc are ready to assume big roles we will be a cup team. I love our direction but its gonna take some more time but thats just my opinion. Ill gladly be wrong and take a playoff run this year. :)

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I love optimism but we didn't change the team much and got swept by Carolina, i realize it wasn't under ideal circumstances but we were never in that series at all, and to be fair without stellar goaltending we wouldn't have beaten them all year. I think we have a long way to go personally. Adding Lafreniere should help, but we also lost Fast, a key defensive player and more importantly one of our better penalty killers on a team that needs help there. My personal timeline is to make playoffs this year, make a bit of a run next and then when guys like Miller, Kravtsov, Lundkvist, Barron etc are ready to assume big roles we will be a cup team. I love our direction but its gonna take some more time but thats just my opinion. Ill gladly be wrong and take a playoff run this year. :)

This. At the end of the day we are what we are this season. Next summer we will have the flexibility to retool as needed and should have some reinforcements on the way. The window opens with the 21-22 season imo.

B17 Apricots

May 18, 2016
For 100 likes.

Are you willing to sell your soul to Satan for that?!?

Also - did you order your ‘Murica Buch Jersey...?

4leva4.jpg
That hot dog placement must be coincidence

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Our team needs defense. Our offense can compete. Our defense cannot. Our offseason did nothing to help our personnel on defense. Martin should be an improvement over Ruff, but our players aren’t any better. Unless you think Martin can massively turn around our defense, I don’t see how we can compete. It’s still incredibly frustrating how we didn’t fill the gaping LD hole either through FA or the draft, which is a major let down to me and how I can’t see how anyone can grade our offseason higher than a B. The good news is we didn’t make any truly dumb moves in FA. Unfortunately, we have to balance between getting the most out of our young players’ cheap contracts and not rushing things. We’re very much in an in between scenario. We could’ve done way worse at least.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Our team needs defense. Our offense can compete. Our defense cannot. Our offseason did nothing to help our personnel on defense. Martin should be an improvement over Ruff, but our players aren’t any better. Unless you think Martin can massively turn around our defense, I don’t see how we can compete. It’s still incredibly frustrating how we didn’t fill the gaping LD hole either through FA or the draft, which is a major let down to me and how I can’t see how anyone can grade our offseason higher than a B. The good news is we didn’t make any truly dumb moves in FA. Unfortunately, we have to balance between getting the most out of our young players’ cheap contracts and not rushing things. We’re very much in an in between scenario. We could’ve done way worse at least.

We did fill the LD position through the draft. They just aren't here yet.

Reactions: Riche16

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
We need a combination of Jacques Martin and a young kid to make this defense stronger for next season. We have a lot of kids to choose from but certainly no guarantees any can handle it right now. It is a tall ask.

We are too young in our bottom 6. I dont have a lot of confidence in Rooney or Blackwood and their limited NHL experience. They lost Fast and didnt replace him with a competent NHL forward who cares about the defensive side of the puck. There is still time tho.

Depending on how the season transpires, if they do not make any changes prior to opening night, I could see them looking at Derek Stepan at the trade deadline for 3C. Slide Strome or Chytil to wing.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Listen to the quotes from management. The team isn't expecting to be a cup contender this season. Making the playoffs should be the goal, and until the defense improves, a lot of whether that happens is going to be contingent on how high quality goaltending we get. They won't be making any desperate stopgap moves to try to patch up the defense this season.

Beyond that, you just want to look for measured improvements in the young players on the roster, and hope that Panarin and Zinabejad keep up the elite play.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yes and no. There still is not a guaranteed top pair caliber
LHD there unless everything breaks right for Miller. I’ve been saying for months but that is the biggest hole on the team. They need to get Trouba a better partner. It’s probably not happening this season, which is very negligent. Trouba needs to have a much better year this season after the investment made in him, and he will probably have a revolving door of D partners again.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
That defense needs work and we severely lack a 1LD. I suppose we could try TDA, but we know about his defensive deficiencies and he may not be the best guy to pair with Trouba. Maybe one of our insiders can chime in, but perhaps we could trade Brendan Smith along with a third rounder (we have two in 2021) in a cap dump to open more cap space and then use that cap space to acquire a top-4 LD like Vince Dunn? It'll obviously cost a prospect or two, but it may be worth it.

A good time to let the pot simmer a little and see what happens around the league. The Rangers could start the season with their current roster. They won't. There are several teams that have to make moves to get cap compliant. Those moves, in turn, could shake some interesting players loose. A goods time to monitor all of the different situations around the league.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
We didn’t draft a single LHD in this year’s draft. Schneider is close to being ready, but he’s a RHD, a position we already have a logjam in. By drafting Schneider we created another unnecessary problem.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
We didn’t draft a single LHD in this year’s draft. Schneider is close to being ready, but he’s a RHD, a position we already have a logjam in. By drafting Schneider we created another unnecessary problem.
They can use the assets they have to acquire assets at other positions. There is no mandate to have a bunch of young talent in every position at all times.

There was no unnecessary problem created.

Reactions: Riche16 and RGY

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Every year this fanbase complains about not drafting BPA. This year they get Braden Schneider at 19 who, according to the same rankings used by fans to complain about BPA, was BPA.

Reactions: JCProdigy

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Every year this fanbase complains about not drafting BPA. This year they get Braden Schneider at 19 who, according to the same rankings used by fans to complain about BPA, was BPA.
We traded up for Schneider. That’s the problem. There was no need to trade up for him. If he were a LHD, it would make a lot of sense. But to trade up for a guy we’re overloaded in isn’t a smart move imo.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
We traded up for Schneider. That’s the problem. There was no need to trade up for him. If he were a LHD, it would make a lot of sense. But to trade up for a guy we’re overloaded in isn’t a smart move imo.

Yes, that I am actually agreeing with. Schneider at 19 is a good pick. Trading up from 22 to 19 using a 3rd rounder is a good move. But put the two together and I am not exactly on board.

But my biggest worry is the picks in rounds 2 and 3. Cuylle and Tärnström make no sense to me with what was left on the board. My biggest fear is the sudden change in direction in the middle of a rebuild with the arrival of JD. I hope I am wrong, but I just have a bad feeling about this. JD comes across as a guy with a very conservative view on the game. I know this fanbase loves him because of his time in net and in the booth but did we really need a president whois this hands on, when we have a GM in full control of a rebuild, who has proven he can make the right moves with his tenure in Boston?

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
Some of you guys are so used to going south that your heads are spinning now that we're going north.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
Rangers’ quiet offseason did no harm to long-term roster building.

So the Rangers’ offseason business is essentially complete with Friday’s signing of Brendan Lemieuxto a two-year deal for an annual cap hit of $1.55 million per that leaves them with enough remaining space so that potential bonus payments on entry-level contracts shouldn’t have a deleterious impact on the opening roster.

The Blueshirts presumably will add another forward and defenseman to the mix. Keep in mind that, at least for the first half of the season, entry-level players would be charged the full amount of their respective cap charges that would include all potential bonuses.

https://nypost.com/2020/11/06/rangers-quiet-offseason-did-no-harm-to-long-term-roster-building/
How was it a quiet off season when we won the draft lottery and added a player of Lafreniere stature for nothing? That about the biggest move the Rangers have ever made? Second only to Adding Mark Messier 10/4/91. I believe it was.
I will thoroughly enjoy watching Lafreniere and company moving forward. LGR!

Reactions: WAIVE BRODZINSKI

Cag29

Jul 18, 2018
Yes, that I am actually agreeing with. Schneider at 19 is a good pick. Trading up from 22 to 19 using a 3rd rounder is a good move. But put the two together and I am not exactly on board.

But my biggest worry is the picks in rounds 2 and 3. Cuylle and Tärnström make no sense to me with what was left on the board. My biggest fear is the sudden change in direction in the middle of a rebuild with the arrival of JD. I hope I am wrong, but I just have a bad feeling about this. JD comes across as a guy with a very conservative view on the game. I know this fanbase loves him because of his time in net and in the booth but did we really need a president whois this hands on, when we have a GM in full control of a rebuild, who has proven he can make the right moves with his tenure in Boston?
We needed more skilled grit on our team. Hopefully it works out.

Cag29

Jul 18, 2018
I love the Schneider pick. Skilled grit.

Reactions: WAIVE BRODZINSKI
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad