Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part LVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
I think an Eichel trade is a roster player (ADA), young roster player who is a center (Chytl), top prospect not named Kak or Laf (Kravtsov, Miller, Nils) and at least two firsts (22 + 2021 unprotected), maybe even a conditional first in 22 depending on what the Rangers do (win 2 rounds = converted). I'm probably off but I think that's a ton to give up.

i think it flirts with diminishing returns too. It looks good on paper but so many stars on one team is risky IMO.

The Edmonton Oilers had a lot of role players in that star lineup. The Pittsburgh Penguins added an Ulf Sammuelson and others.

i’m not a fan of a pricey all-star team b/c there is needs to be cash for those willing to put in the dirty work

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
I think you would have to assume it would be Chytil + DeAngelo + Kravtsov + 22 + 2021 1st unprotected at least and probably one or two of Miller/Jones/Robertson.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Like @bobbop said, NYR is automatically linked to every player. Didn't someone have us associated with Pietro yesterday?

Nothing has been getting leaked from Gorton's circle. The Staal trade caught everyone with their pants down. Is buffalo leaking an unwanted trade rumor? How does Eichel's agent have this intimate knowledge?

Bobby Mac isn't a liar, but I've seen him, Friedman and Lebrun get rumors very wrong. They work off of sources and connect dots, sometimes to erroneous ends.

It's totally possible that we kicked the tires on a fleece offer. But it's totally possible the rangers are being used by someone to drive up prices yet again.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I think you would have to assume it would be Chytil + DeAngelo + Kravtsov + 22 + 2021 1st unprotected at least and probably one or two of Miller/Jones/Robertson.

Right, and I don't think we are at the stage of the rebuild where we should be making a move like that.

A lot of those pieces could be used later on guys with cap retention like the Yandle trade. You're going to need salary retention players to get the best roster on the ice.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I know he has struggled recently, but getting out from AV would ghost be worth an add here as a ld if ada is moved out? Ghost could become a bottom pair d for us and our ppqb? I'm not advocating, just tossing it out for discussion since it is out there that he is available now for a deal.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
I certainly would. Dahlin is legitimately exceptional. He had 44 points as an 18 year old rookie and 40 in 59 games last season (56 point pace). He’s still 20 for the entirety of next season. He’s the next Hedman and likely out producing what Lafreniere will do in his first two years as a teenage defender.
I would be open to it, and that is the only way 1OA or Kakko become part of a hypothetical Eichel deal, I would think.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
There will always be next contracts, but you'd also be able to pay Shesterkin with Lundqvist's former budget by the time it comes up.

Yes there will. And a year after Shesterkin, you've got Kakko (if he breaks out). My point was really that some of this is closer on the horizon than it really feels like.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Perhaps, but I feel like no matter what, you end up getting pushback.

Go too vague and people say you didn't share anything at all or that you talk in riddles.

Get too specific and you're making people panic and causing angst.

Do nothing and they claim you didn't know at all.

I mean you could go beyond that and give a "despite what's being touted by BUF and Eichel's team, there's thought amongst the league that this may not be the case.". But giving a whole commentary just to "loljk" at the end is just weird.

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010
Like @bobbop said, NYR is automatically linked to every player. Didn't someone have us associated with Pietro yesterday?

Nothing has been getting leaked from Gorton's circle. The Staal trade caught everyone with their pants down. Is buffalo leaking an unwanted trade rumor? How does Eichel's agent have this intimate knowledge?

Bobby Mac isn't a liar, but I've seen him, Friedman and Lebrun get rumors very wrong. They work off of sources and connect dots, sometimes to erroneous ends.

It's totally possible that we kicked the tires on a fleece offer. But it's totally possible the rangers are being used by someone to drive up prices yet again.
Some random Twitter chode linked us to AP. It’s not the same as Bob Mckenie coming out of nowhere and saying it.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Well, I can tell you the Rangers and Buffalo have talked as well. And that was from two independent sources a few weeks ago, including one with the Rangers.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Right, and I don't think we are at the stage of the rebuild where we should be making a move like that.

A lot of those pieces could be used later on guys with cap retention like the Yandle trade. You're going to need salary retention players to get the best roster on the ice.

The only thing that bothers me there is the volume of players being moved.

It's too many pieces. I really don't think it'd end up being more than DeAngelo, Chytil+22+1st in 2021+prospect, thats IF he wants out.

If he doesn't, then Buffalo has no need to trade him.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I'm not trading any star players on ELC for Eichel. Regardless of what fair value is, thats just not good cap management. We'd be too top heavy.

The only way to make it work is to end Strome/DeAngelo packing, and add whatever preposterous amount of value it might take on top of them to get the deal done.
Oh don't get me wrong. I have no desire to trade for Eichel. I'd rather watch Kakko/Laf for the next 10-15 years. There are a lot of other centers who I'd prefer over Eichel that have smaller cap hits and won't cost this team a kings ransom.

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
Reposting this because I updated it with a lot more detail. I’d personally rather overpay to pry a guy like this from Calgary at 4.85M for the next 4 years than pay a king’s ransom for Eichel and have to deal with the cap issues it would create.
D+19gm/1pt58gm/21pt
D+242gm/20pt81gm/39pt
D+369gm/33pt82gm/39pt
480gm/46pt72gm/45pt
581gm/51pt81gm/44pt
——TradedTraded
756gm/37pt81gm/78pt
872gm/47pt70gm/54pt
982gm/74pt
1057gm/75pt
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Mika - two way Swedish center, drafted #6 2011, broke out after trade, 548 games, 384 points, 27.5 years old

Elias - two way Swedish center, drafted #5 2013, broke out after trade, 525 games, 320 points, 25.5 years old

At Lindholm’s current age, Mika’s career high was still the 51 points he put up in Ottawa. Lindholm already has a 78 and 54 (in 70) season. Mika’s career points per game only takes off these last two years of 74/75 points. Their D+2 through D+5 seasons are almost identical. It comes out to 45.22 for Mika vs 43.33 points per game, D+6/7 is 53.8 for Mika vs 71.6 for Lindholm.

Lindholm is a very similar player who was rushed by Carolina but rebounded nicely. He also stays healthier. His contract is great. I don’t know what the cost would be, but that’s a guy I’d be okay moving DeAngelo for. His name is only on my mind because several pages back Hanifin + Lindholm was a hot topic. I don’t know where it came from, but I’d certainly be okay with it.

Reactions: McSauer

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Yes there will. And a year after Shesterkin, you've got Kakko (if he breaks out). My point was really that some of this is closer on the horizon than it really feels like.

It is, I also don't think the Rangers are without options either.

When we start getting to second contracts for guys like Kakko and Lafreniere, Smith is coming off. Lundqvist is coming off. Girardi will be coming off. Shattenkirk will be coming off. Staal is already off. In this scenario, there potentially isn't a new ADA contract. There isn't Strome's current deal or his next one.

That's a lot of money.

And if it somehow wasn't enough, I don't think Kreider's contract is immovable, and Zibanejad's fate could very well be tied to this health.

So long as the Rangers aren't moving too many of those young contracts, they actually have a quite a bit to work with.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

Ask yourself this, if you had Eichel would you trade him to a team that has both Kakko and the 1st overall and not get one of them back in return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad