Speculation: Roster Building Thread I (2019/2020) - A Day in the Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Agreed. Which will make him score us a sweet little asset at the TDL.

While he's not a purely offensive forward Names brings a lot of attributes to a line that might have more pure scorers. He's got some grit. Decent speed. Decent puck retrieval skills. And enough skill to play with elite talent. So, given the influx of offense into the lineup, he could very well be one of the biggest beneficiaries.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Most underrated and unappreciated player on this team: Vlad Namestnikov.

Will be 27 by Thanksgiving, he will grab a significant role in 19-20.

Like Buchnevich, I think he'll do best paired with some dynamic offensive players.

But the best case scenario for Namestnikov (2nd line center) would be bad news for our young centers.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
If Namestnikov is playing in the top 9 with Kreider still here, then I don’t like where the youngins are development-wise. With Zibanejad, Panarin, Kreider, Kakko, Kravtsov, Chytil, Buchnevich, Lemieux and one of Howden/Andersson as the top nine forwards on this team, Namestnikov getting top nine minutes is not a good sign.

Last edited:

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Competition is good for all. The scenario of 90 thriving is a win across the board.

One point that I continuously drive home here is that in reality (not your NHL19 dynasty league) many of our younger guys just wont make it. Through a litany of reasons (timing, injuries, opportunity, chemistry, etc etc) some talent just wont come to fruition. If you want to be a top level organization, you need to win at the numbers game - and allow for the competition to settle the score, short term and long term.

Some of you in that Dynasty video game mode have Chytil locked in for 4 consecutive 30 goal seasons. Great, bro. Reality is he’ll be with Carolina after a falling out with Quinn. Reality.

Now I happen to be a fan of Namestnikov’s game. My gut feeling is that he has more to offer - in all facets - and it’s coming this fall.

Last edited:

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Is he? I hadn't heard that. If so, then yes, his value is higher than I thought. That pretty much guarantees that they won't trade him though. If he intends to sign with them, they would be stupid to trade him.
Now with the change in their front office your guess is as good as mine. No idea if Minnesota is going to compete, tear it down or just keep plugging away.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
The new Minnesota GM will have to ask him/herself how confident they are that their team will be a playoff team--because if they're not that confident and their team doesn't make the playoffs then they've give up a lottery pick to the Rangers for a guy that they're going to have to sign right away or lose to free agency. Screwing that up would not argue for their longevity in the position they've just taken.

If the Rangers want a 1st rounder in the package they get back for Kreider--they're probably going to have to wait until January/February to find a team that has some certainty that they will be a playoff team and want Kreider to enhance their playoff chances. I would call into question the capability of a GM who would even take a chance on giving up their 1st for Kreider now. To me it would be flat out stupid. Kreider is a very good player but he's not worth gambling a potential lottery pick on.

Agreed.
I think 1st rounders in the 2020 draft will be very hard to come by. Getting that 1st for Kreider will be difficult but it might mean multiple picks or a better prospect from a team with a deep pool who are looking to really go for it now.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Competition is good for all. The scenario of 90 thriving is a win across the board.

One point that I continuously drive home here is that in reality (not your NHL19 dynasty league) many of our younger guys just wont make it. Through a litany of reasons (timing, injuries, opportunity, chemistry, etc etc) some talent just wont come to fruition. If you want to be a top level organization, you need to win at the numbers game - and allow for the competition to settle the score, short term and long term.

Some of you in that Dynasty video game mode have Chytil locked in for 4 consecutive 30 goal seasons. Great, bro. Reality is he’ll be with Carolina after a falling out with Quinn. Reality.

Now I happen to be a fan of Namestnikov’s game. My gut feeling is that he has more to offer - in all facets - and it’s coming this fall.
But reality (not your sick fantasies) is that Namestnikov owes his 4M AAV entirely to Stamkos and Kucherov.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
A 26 year old Namestnikov averaging 2 minutes more per game only scored 8 more points than a teenage Chytil. What is this trash?

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
No they weren’t. They were overpayments the second those contracts were signed. No one cared because they didn’t think we’d be in this position a year later. FFS one of those players was bought out
The fact that the term and salary of the extensions were identical tells me that they were not thoroughly negotiated. Lazy/careless move that came back to bite us.

Never give away cap space if you don't have to, look at how cheaply the Devils were able to pick up Subban and Gusev because they had it. We were able to pick up Panarin and Trouba because we had it. There are great deals to be made every summer if you have the cap space as teams get themselves into trouble.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Is that the case? Because that would change the entire scenario.
I was under the impression he would be coming over to Minnesota after SKA's season is over. Did they lose his rights or has he gone public in saying he won't sign with Minnesota?
He's a really good prospect and would love to have him on a line with Kravtsov.

NHL rights only expire for players in the KHL if they have previously been under contract in the NHL (i.e. Nicklas Jensen), on July 1st when they are 27.

His current KHL contract only expires in 2020 so he couldn't come over this year.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
The new Minnesota GM will have to ask him/herself how confident they are that their team will be a playoff team--because if they're not that confident and their team doesn't make the playoffs then they've give up a lottery pick to the Rangers for a guy that they're going to have to sign right away or lose to free agency. Screwing that up would not argue for their longevity in the position they've just taken.

If the Rangers want a 1st rounder in the package they get back for Kreider--they're probably going to have to wait until January/February to find a team that has some certainty that they will be a playoff team and want Kreider to enhance their playoff chances. I would call into question the capability of a GM who would even take a chance on giving up their 1st for Kreider now. To me it would be flat out stupid. Kreider is a very good player but he's not worth gambling a potential lottery pick on.

It's their owner.

He expects them to be a playoff team. Unrealistic as that may be- he did not like the sell-off that Fenton did at the deadline.

The Zuccarello signing is the diametric opposite of their in-season and deadline moves (as bad as they were).

Unlike members of this board, there are organizations that think they can win with a core of 30+ year olds in leading roles and younger/cheaper players in supporting roles.

See SJ/PIT/DAL/WSH.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Other than Mika/Panarin no one on this roster has any set roles. Everyone will be up and down, left and right, and have different responsibilities on a nightly or weekly basis unless some real chemistry is formed.

Namestnikov will get cracks in the top 9 and top 6. They need to build up his value.

Really hoping one of Gettinger/Elmer/Fontaine/Meskannen can win a spot. Would really help with the cap situation more so for next season.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
good for all the optimism about Names...I know he's still young and does some things well but let's be honest we couldn't give him away the last few months. I would be almost certain JG tried and nobody was taking him without serious retention. Says a lot.

Reactions: Leetch3

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Being able to hang out as a third wheel is also important. Just look at JT who was expected to take that role and failing. Names also can play in a different role on bottom lines.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Namestnikov isn’t young anymore. This is his prime.

JTM is a better hockey player, and I don’t think all that highly of Miller to begin with.

What is this nonsense

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Namestnikov isn’t young anymore. This is his prime.

JTM is a better hockey player, and I don’t think all that highly of Miller to begin with.

What is this nonsense
They both stink

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
NHL rights only expire for players in the KHL if they have previously been under contract in the NHL (i.e. Nicklas Jensen), on July 1st when they are 27.

His current KHL contract only expires in 2020 so he couldn't come over this year.

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.
I knew about this coming season being his last with SKA but still don’t know what the situation is with Minnesota. I don’t think some of their own fans know what their situation is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad