Roster and Fantasy GM Thread Pt. XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014

Even if most of those guys reach their potential that still looks terrible. Like Buffalo right now but without Eichel. We had two fantastic years to rebuild/tank before the new lottery rules and completely wasted them. This is the price of trying to compete when you suck in this league.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Baertschi and Granlund in the top 6 in 3 years.

giphy.gif

This team would be brutal

Agreed. Unless Sven Baertschi has a breakout season this year, I hope the Canucks trade him at the deadline.
Also, once Elias Petterson is NHL-ready, I'd like to see him play on the wing for a while: Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser could make a very good 1st-line.

In 2020, I hope the Canucks roster looks like this (at worst):

Elias Pettersson-Bo Horvat-Brock Boeser
Sam Gagner-Brandon Sutter-Loui Eriksson
Jake Virtanen-Adam Gaudette-Will Lockwood
Jonah Gadjovich-Markus Granlund-Kole Lind
Brendan Gaunce/Jonathan Dahlen

Olli Juolevi-Chris Tanev
Ben Hutton-Nikita Tryamkin
Guillaume Brisebois-Troy Stetcher
Kristoffer Gunnarsson

Thatcher Demko
Jacob Markstrom

...not the greatest roster, 2nd line in particular, but I would watch them. Also think there'll be some trades/free agents/draft picks that could drastically change the make-up of the team.
Dahlen, Gaudette, and Lind all have top-6 potential, but I'm unsure they can outproduce Gagner-Sutter-Eriksson in 2020.

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Agreed. Unless Sven Baertschi has a breakout season this year, I hope the Canucks trade him at the deadline.
Also, once Elias Petterson is NHL-ready, I'd like to see him play on the wing for a while: Pettersson-Horvat-Boeser could make a very good 1st-line.

In 2020, I hope the Canucks roster looks like this (at worst):

Elias Pettersson-Bo Horvat-Brock Boeser
Sam Gagner-Brandon Sutter-Loui Eriksson
Jake Virtanen-Adam Gaudette-Will Lockwood
Jonah Gadjovich-Markus Granlund-Kole Lind
Brendan Gaunce/Jonathan Dahlen

Olli Juolevi-Chris Tanev
Ben Hutton-Nikita Tryamkin
Guillaume Brisebois-Troy Stetcher
Kristoffer Gunnarsson

Thatcher Demko
Jacob Markstrom

...not the greatest roster, 2nd line in particular, but I would watch them. Also think there'll be some trades/free agents/draft picks that could drastically change the make-up of the team.
Dahlen, Gaudette, and Lind all have top-6 potential, but I'm unsure they can outproduce Gagner-Sutter-Eriksson in 2020.

OK, where do I start? If Sutter and Eriksson are expected to be second line producers in 3 years, this team will be acquiring top five (and possibly top 2) draft picks for the next three years which, in turn, will likely be better options than Sutter and Eriksson...just sayin'

It's a fools game to plug all the prospects in to the line-up. Sets up false expectations. If half of the eight players (Gaudette, Brisboise, Gunnarsson, Virtanen, Lockwood, Gadjovich, Lind and Dahlen) actually go on to have productive NHL careers, let alone reach their upside implied in your roster, it would be a homerun for the team. And their is also some risk that Boeser, Juolevi, and Pettersson struggle.

The building prospect pool does give some hope. But I suspect that the 2020 roster will look very different.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
:laugh: I've heard that before from people who know me a lot better than you.

But seriously, I'm getting fed up with "mentoring" and "learning leadership" and crap like that. Like somehow, all these kids who grew up playing in hyper-competitive hockey leagues since they were toddlers can only learn how to win through veteran instruction once they reach the NHL. It's up there with the anti-tank argument than assumes players who play for a team sincerely built to compete will absorb the will to win even if the team fails miserably at competing, and players on deliberately tanking teams become contaminated to their bones with losing. It's so annoying and illogical.

I think the big thing is there is stuff to be learned, but it comes from guys like Sundin, not Dorsett, or Sutter. I just hope the Twins are here and helping whoever our next core is.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
It's a fools game to plug all the prospects in to the line-up. Sets up false expectations. If half of the eight players (Gaudette, Brisboise, Gunnarsson, Virtanen, Lockwood, Gadjovich, Lind and Dahlen) actually go on to have productive NHL careers, let alone reach their upside implied in your roster, it would be a homerun for the team. And their is also some risk that Boeser, Juolevi, and Pettersson struggle.

The building prospect pool does give some hope. But I suspect that the 2020 roster will look very different.

I don't think it's that farfetched. Most of the young players are penciled in bottom-6/bottom pairing or depth roles. Keep in mind most of those players will be in the 23yo-26yo range, so right in their prime (or beginning of their prime). Plus there is the 2018, 2019, and 2020 draft picks to consider, which should likely produce 2 future nhl-players in each draft, as well as college free agents that could make the team.

Last edited:

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
I don't think it's that farfetched. Most of the young players are penciled in bottom-6/bottom pairing or depth roles. Keep in mind most of those players will be in the 23yo-26yo range, so right in their prime (or beginning of their prime). Plus there is the 2018, 2019, and 2020 draft picks to consider, which should likely produce 2 future nhl-players in each draft, as well as college free agents that could make the team.

Imho expecting every one of Pettersson, Boeser, Virtanen, Lockwood, Gaudette, Gadjovich, Lind, Dahlen, Brisebois, Gunnarsson and Demko, all of whom are presently prospects, to be Canuck regulars in three years is so far over the moon as to be completely out of touch with reality.

Right now one would expect Pettersson, Boeser and Demko each have a decent to good chance, but the others are all just lottery picks. Expecting every one of them to come through is similar to expecting to retire on future lottery winnings.

Two years ago we were seeing people pencilling Subban and Cassels into the Canucks lineup for 2015-16.

Three years ago there would have been people putting Jensen, Grenier, Gaunce, Mallett, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Subban, Virtanen and McCann on their list of Canucks for this coming season (ie the equivalent to answer the same question three years ago.) It looks to me that one of those players will actually be with the Canucks regularly this coming season, with a small chance of a second one. Expecting 10 seems more than just a stretch.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Imho expecting every one of Pettersson, Boeser, Virtanen, Lockwood, Gaudette, Gadjovich, Lind, Dahlen, Brisebois, Gunnarsson and Demko, all of whom are presently prospects, to be Canuck regulars in three years is so far over the moon as to be completely out of touch with reality.

Right now one would expect Pettersson, Boeser and Demko each have a decent to good chance, but the others are all just lottery picks. Expecting every one of them to come through is similar to expecting to retire on future lottery winnings.

Two years ago we were seeing people pencilling Subban and Cassels into the Canucks lineup for 2015-16.

Three years ago there would have been people putting Jensen, Grenier, Gaunce, Mallett, Horvat, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Subban, Virtanen and McCann on their list of Canucks for this coming season (ie the equivalent to answer the same question three years ago.) It looks to me that one of those players will actually be with the Canucks regularly this coming season, with a small chance of a second one. Expecting 10 seems more than just a stretch.

In three years, Boeser, Demko, Virtanen, Gaudette, etc will have been drafted 5-6 years ago. Haha. Benning has gone on to say that he's planning to sign Gaudette & Lockwood at the end of their college season & play some games in 2018. Travis Green has said he sees no reason why Virtanen shouldn't be in the NHL. So going by what management & coaching has said, there's a good shot many of those players see time this season, let alone 2020.

Never pencilled Subban in as a future NHLer, and unfortunately for Cole Cassels, the NHL game changed so rapidly that his skating became a glaring weakness like it did for Cody Hodgson.

Never really projected Jensen, Grenier, Gaunce, Mallett, Shinkaruk, Subban, and McCann to be much. Anyone that did was out to lunch

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
In three years, Boeser, Demko, Virtanen, Gaudette, etc will have been drafted 5-6 years ago. Haha. Benning has gone on to say that he's planning to sign Gaudette & Lockwood at the end of their college season & play some games in 2018. Travis Green has said he sees no reason why Virtanen shouldn't be in the NHL. So going by what management & coaching has said, there's a good shot many of those players see time this season, let alone 2020.

Never pencilled Subban in as a future NHLer, and unfortunately for Cole Cassels, the NHL game changed so rapidly that his skating became a glaring weakness like it did for Cody Hodgson.

Never really projected Jensen, Grenier, Gaunce, Mallett, Shinkaruk, Subban, and McCann to be much. Anyone that did was out to lunch

That doesn't mean much.

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015

You must be one of those guys who figures all of Benning's picks will make the N.H.L. Getting a couple of games or sticking as a regular are completely different.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

:laugh:

So Lockwood is better than McCann? Brendan Gaunce is probably a safe bet to play more NHL games than Jake Virtanen at this point as well.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
:laugh:

So Lockwood is better than McCann? Brendan Gaunce is probably a safe bet to play more NHL games than Jake Virtanen at this point as well.

Always saw Jared McCann as a top-6 forward or bust imo; Will Lockwood appears to have a lower ceiling, but higher basement than McCann. I think the probability of Lockwood being a bottom-six player is higher than McCann being a top-6 forward.

Pretty confident Jake Virtanen will play more NHL games than Gaunce. Virtanen may disappoint & not become a top-6 player, but I don't see why he can't be a very good 3rd liner: Gaunce and his 6pt total is not very impressive seeing as he's 2yrs older than Virtanen.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Come on guys... let's see those rosters and PP units with Vanek in the mix!

Sedin-Horvat-Gagner
Granlund-Sedin-Vanek
Eriksson-Sutter-Rodin
Virtanen-Burmistrov-Dorsett

Pressbox: Chaput, Baertschi
Waive : Boucher, Gaunce, Megna
Reassign: Molino, Boeser, Goldobin, Dahlen

Last edited:

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
FREE AGENT/TRADE-Horvat-Boeser
Dahlen-Pettersson-FREE AGENT/TRADE
Eriksson-Gaudette-Virtanen
FA/TRADE-Sutter/Gagner-Lind/Prospect/FA/Trade

Juolevi-Tanev
Hutton-Stetcher
Tryamkin-Gudbranson

Demko
Markstrom

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
FREE AGENT/TRADE-Horvat-Boeser
Dahlen-Pettersson-FREE AGENT/TRADE
Eriksson-Gaudette-Virtanen
FA/TRADE-Sutter/Gagner-Lind/Prospect/FA/Trade

Juolevi-Tanev
Hutton-Stetcher
Tryamkin-Gudbranson

Demko
Markstrom

Jensen Hodgson Rodin
Gaunce Shroeder Grenier
Rai Mallet Blomstrand
Froshaug Friesen Anthony

Connauton Corrado
Polasek McNally
Sauve Price

Cannata
Honzik

It's foolproof really. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Jensen Hodgson Rodin
Gaunce Shroeder Grenier
Rai Mallet Blomstrand
Froshaug Friesen Anthony

Connauton Corrado
Polasek McNally
Sauve Price

Cannata
Honzik

It's foolproof really. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Except I put FA/TRADE/PROSPECT for a lot of the lineup because it doesn't obviously go exactly to plan with potential

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
In my mind, this is what we have for SURE going forward imo (in terms of young players)

unknown - unknown - Boeser

unknown - Pettersson/Horvat - unknown

Baertschi - Dahlen - unknown

unknown -Gaunce - Granlund/Virtanen

unknown - unknown
Juolevi - unknown
Hutton - Stecher/Gudbranson

Demko
unknown

Literally the only players that I'm sure will at least be full time NHLers. I think if we get anything more than these projections long term, we'll be lucky.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
Agree. But would hope we have this --

In my mind, this is what we have for SURE going forward imo (in terms of young players)

unknown - Pettersson - Boeser

unknown - /Horvat - unknown

Baertschi - Dahlen - unknown

unknown -Gaunce - Granlund/Virtanen

unknown - unknown
Juolevi - unknown
Hutton - Stecher/Gudbranson

Demko
unknown

Literally the only players that I'm sure will at least be full time NHLers. I think if we get anything more than these projections long term, we'll be lucky.

Pastor Of Muppets

Jan 19, 2017
Baertschi and Granlund in the top 6 in 3 years.

giphy.gif

This team would be brutal

Baertschi could easily be a solid 2nd line LW...(barring injury,he will improve even more this year under Green)...Granlund plays all three forward positions,and is in your top 9.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Baertschi could easily be a solid 2nd line LW...(barring injury,he will improve even more this year under Green)...Granlund plays all three forward positions,and is in your top 9.

Could easily? Uh...he's 25 and his career high in PPG is 0.51.

I think he's someone who can fill in a 2nd line LW role on a mediocre/bad team, but if you want to have a good team you're going to need to do better.

Granlund in your top 9 means you're not a good team. Period.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The roster construction is so out of whack now I don't know how Green can even build a competitive team.

The issue is we lack two-way forwards ... especially if you assume a top nine of Sedin, Sedin, Horvat, Baertschi, Gagner, Vanek, Granlund, Sutter, and Eriksson. I count maybe three players in there that can generously be counted on defensively (Granlund, Eriksson, and Sutter). The rest of them are at best neutral defensive players (a lot of them are worse, though).

Combine that with what we're icing on the blueline, plus two question marks in net, and I don't see how this team doesn't get ventilated on the scoreboard most nights. They'll probably score more, but not that much more.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
The roster construction is so out of whack now I don't know how Green can even build a competitive team.

The issue is we lack two-way forwards ... especially if you assume a top nine of Sedin, Sedin, Horvat, Baertschi, Gagner, Vanek, Granlund, Sutter, and Eriksson. I count maybe three players in there that can generously be counted on defensively (Granlund, Eriksson, and Sutter). The rest of them are at best neutral defensive players (a lot of them are worse, though).

Combine that with what we're icing on the blueline, plus two question marks in net, and I don't see how this team doesn't get ventilated on the scoreboard most nights. They'll probably score more, but not that much more.

That's very generous, and more likely just plain wrong.

Sutter and Granlund aren't good defensively. It's a myth. But I sure hope they're used in defensive roles.

Poor Markstrom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad