GDT: Rookie Tournament: Canadiens vs. Sabres (7PM ET on RDS.ca & YouTube)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I don't think it's wise to call the rookies busts after 40 minutes when the team barely practiced together. Perhaps after the three games we can have a better idea of what the players can bring to the table.

My favorite thing is that you can go back 5 hours and Heineman, Mailloux, Beck were all gonna make the team. Now they're busts and the rebuild is a failure.

Even keel and able to put things into perspective.. not here.

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
They lost, not many kids stood out and it was not very exciting sometimes.

Still, I smile.

Hockey is back baby! Hockey...is...back!!!

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
And on the level of Cooley and Benson we have....
Caufield is better than Benson, Cooley is a 5'10 center who hasnt play a pro game yet. Before labelling Cooley a better talent than Slaf, lets see how he does in the NHL this year first. We have Dach, Suzuki down the middle anyway, Cooley wasnt much of a need, Slaf was.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Rusty, not on the same page as anyone, and just generally lost.

It doesn't matter, its the first game together after a long summer break. People freaking out about anything are just being hot take artists.
Yet other teams are able to put together basic plays. I'm not buying it. It's pretty evident we lack talent up front.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
Caufield is better than Benson, Cooley is a 5'10 center who hasnt play a pro game yet. Before labelling Cooley a better talent than Slaf, lets see how he does in the NHL this year first. We have Dach, Suzuki down the middle anyway, Cooley wasnt much of a need, Slaf was.
Positionally... sure.

Talent... most definitely a need.

I'm rooting for Slaf, I want to live in a world where I can forget we had the chance to grab Cooley.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Reinbacher has great speed and puckmoving ability. He's still raw and needs time to develop. Swiss league will be best for him.

Mailloux is a tire-fire in his own zone. He will need a lot of development in the AHL.

Beck is NHL ready but i don't think he gets a spot. He may have to go back to the OHL after a 9 game stint.

Farrell is a total disappointment. Turnover machine.

Mesar has a motor. Lots of development to be had. OHL probably.

Josh Roy is invisible.
I expect Roy to be better with better players and more structure. It's the first game, and to play his style he needs to know his linemates.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016

I think some people don't know how talented Slaf is. He is going to be a beast. Be patient, he already made great progression in summer working hard. He is going to keep his head up and show people why he is a 1st overall. This guy is a skilled powerforward and when he is going to put all together, he is going to do anything on ice, two-way game, physical game, passing, scoring, hands. 70-80 pts type of player per years, that's what I expect from him!

Reactions: Goldenhands

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I don't think it's wise to call the rookies busts after 40 minutes when the team barely practiced together. Perhaps after the three games we can have a better idea of what the players can bring to the table.
I agree. But at the same time one team is making plays and the other isn't. Lack of chemistry is one thing but poor execution is something totally different.
Overall one team showed a depth of talent and unfortunately it wasn't us.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I think some people don't know how talented Slaf is. He is going to be a beast. Be patient, he already made great progression in summer working hard. He is going to keep his head up and show people why he is a 1st overall. This guy is a skilled powerforward and when he is going to put all together, he is going to do anything on ice, two-way game, physical game, passing, scoring, hands. 70-80 pts type of player per years, that's what I expect from him!
Its unfair to judge a 18 yrs old kid at the NHL level too severely, who was the last kid having an impact at the NHL in his D+1, Matthews?

Otherwise, I agree with you, some people are going to look bad.

Reactions: KevSkillz4

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yet other teams are able to put together basic plays. I'm not buying it. It's pretty evident we lack talent up front.

There's plenty of talented players up front, they didn't execute tonight. We've seen them execute at higher levels than rookie camp game 1 before.

Kulich looked pedestrian until he cranked a one timer late. Should Buffalo fans be worried or accept its one game after a summer lay off?

Of course we could always use more talent but this is a shinny game. It's meaningless.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

You're on the wrong board, miss. Here. It's doom after losing one game. We have the worst prospect pool in the NHL. I wish we were Arizona

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
There's plenty of talented players up front, they didn't execute tonight. We've seen them execute at higher levels than rookie camp game 1 before.

Kulich looked pedestrian until he cranked a one timer late. Should Buffalo fans be worried or accept its one game after a summer lay off?

Of course we could always use more talent but this is a shinny game. It's meaningless.
It's not the end of the world but I'm not going to lie I expected far better cohesion. Who knows Buffalo at home while we bus it with one scrimmage under our belts. But damn there were some awful breakdowns on what should have been basic plays. Not to mention our PP was rather anemic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad