Confirmed with Link: Roby Järventie and 4th trade to EDM for Xavier Bourgault and Jake Chiasson

Hale The Villain

Apr 2, 2008
The real question is though, how tall are they and how many penalty minutes did each get?

I think it's obvious at this point that the players Staios is interested in differs substantially from the players our scouting staff is interested in.

He's not Dubas but he's clearly not a dinosaur like the Sens scouting staff. He's willing to look at adding players who don't bring a ton of physicality/toughness if they bring assets in other areas.

It's amusing that Staios spent the last 6 months trying aggressively to convince Chris Tanev, a guy who barely hits and takes no penalties, to come to Ottawa, while at the same time our scouting staff was laser-focused on D that are physical and tough, hockey IQ and skill being an afterthought.

We need a new scouting staff so ****ing badly

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think it's obvious at this point that the players Staios is interested in differs substantially from the players our scouting staff is interested in.

He's not Dubas but he's clearly not a dinosaur like the Sens scouting staff. He's willing to look at adding players who don't bring a ton of physicality/toughness if they bring assets in other areas.

It's amusing that Staios spent the last 6 months trying aggressively to convince Chris Tanev, a guy who barely hits and takes no penalties, to come to Ottawa, while at the same time our scouting staff was laser-focused on D that are physical and tough, hockey IQ and skill being an afterthought.

Amen

Reactions: Cosmix

h2

Mar 26, 2002
is Bourgault our top forward prospect now? We're so thin up front lol

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Nice of Staios to give us something to argue about for another week or two.

The trade feels like whatever. I liked how Roby looked in his limited games last year but the injury stuff might be more serious than we think. Both teams bought/sold low on their guys.

• Haha
Reactions: PlayOn

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
is Bourgault our top forward prospect now? We're so thin up front lol
Signed Foward prospect in no particular order:

-Bourgault
-Chiasson
-Ostapchuk
-Jenik
-Boucher
-Halliday
-Rees
-Crookshank
-Pettersson
-Reinhardt
-Johansson

Very very thin lol.. top 2 or 3 for sure

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016

I don't think this is accurate.

I think Staios has a very clear template of the kind of forward he likes and he has repeatedly brought in that kind of forward to the organization. The forward template is a chippy forward who plays a 200 foot game, is versatile and is strong at battling for pucks along the boards and goes hard to the dirty areas. David Perron embodies that. He brought in Wyatt Bongiovanni and Jamieson Rees last season. He added Jan Jenik and now Xavier Bourgault along with David Perron this offseason.

The players fit that template in various ways. It is like how there was the rumor that the Sens were interested in acquiring Brayden Schenn. Even the forwards they drafted this year and the ones they invited to development camp also fit that mold. Or signing a guy like Keean Washkurak to an AHL deal.

Staios has his template and it will result in having a number of decent forwards in this organization.

Reactions: LiseL and aragorn

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I really dont like this trade the more I look into it. Jarventie was progressing exactly how he was supposed to based on his skillset, age, body type etc. He got better every year, got faster and stronger. Made the team out of camp was Bellevilles best forward. What a waste of a high 2nd rounder, only to give up on him now when they have invested this much right when he was ready to play.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

I think Staios has a very clear template of the kind of forward he likes and he has repeatedly brought in that kind of forward to the organization. The forward template is a chippy forward who plays a 200 foot game, is versatile and is strong at battling for pucks along the boards and goes hard to the dirty areas. David Perron embodies that. He brought in Wyatt Bongiovanni and Jamieson Rees last season. He added Jan Jenik and now Xavier Bourgault along with David Perron this offseason.

The players fit that template in various ways. It is like how there was the rumor that the Sens were interested in acquiring Brayden Schenn. Even the forwards they drafted this year and the ones they invited to development camp also fit that mold. Or signing a guy like Keean Washkurak to an AHL deal.

Staios has his template and it will result in having a number of decent forwards in this organization.
I think we are getting bourgault mixed up with another prospect. Bourgault is a small play making winger. There was another guy in that draft would was a nut case with a very very similar name

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I really dont like this trade the more I look into it. Jarventie was progressing exactly how he was supposed to based on his skillset, age, body type etc. He got better every year, got faster and stronger. Made the team out of camp was Bellevilles best forward. What a waste of a high 2nd rounder, only to give up on him now when they have invested this much right when he was ready to play.
Looks like a character trade. We’ll see what the new guys can do. They’re all young with potential.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I think so too.

Bourgault could turn into a player he seems to have a decent skillset & maybe it's a situation where both need a change of scenery or it could be a nothing burger.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Hale The Villain

Apr 2, 2008

You're reading far too much into bottom of the lineup changes.

Besides Perron, who was brought in for some veteran leadership, the players he's added at forward are bottom 6 guys and AHLers, who are generally 200 foot players that play hard, as that's the only way they can make the NHL without high-end skillsets.

Bourgault is a small skill guy. He's not particularly gritty or good defensively. He's been described as top 6 or bust, much like Jarventie, but I'd say top 9 or bust is more accurate. If anything he's an example against your thesis here.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Xavier Bourgault
AHL totals1172133544040002
2022–23Bakersfield CondorsAHL621321341620002
2023–24Bakersfield CondorsAHL55812202420000

Jake Chiasson

2023-24
undefined flag
Bakersfield Condors
AHL10002-1
undefined flag
Fort Wayne Komets
ECHL689112030-12

Reactions: Icelevel

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Bourgault wearing pageau’s old number 10

Bourgault, bourgauuuuuuuuult, Bourgault Bourgault Bourgault booooourgault Bourgault bourgauuuuuult…….

A little optimism. A jgp replacement? Actually some similarities

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: LiseL

Hale The Villain

Apr 2, 2008

Yeah I don't get the souring on Jarventie.

I think part of it has to do with him coming over to the AHL a year early. Makes people think he's been stagnating in Belleville but spending your 20 and 21 year old development seasons in the AHL is completely normal for prospects who aren't drafted 1st round.

0.5 PPG at 19, 0.75 PPG at 20 and about a PPG at 21. Hard to ask for much more from him that that.

He has the tools and the skill/shooting ability to develop into a decent secondary scoring option.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Not sure why we did this.

Bourgault is the same age as Jarventie but just had a much worse season.

Jarventie put up 20 points in 22 games, Bourgault put up 20 points in 52 games.

Also Chiasson is a bust. Couldn't even make their AHL team and we threw in a 4th for some reason.

I

Jarventie was never seeing the PP in Ottawa so what is he? He’s not a 3rd liner in the NHL so having players that aren’t really good outside of their roll is when you move on and not try to force it like old times.

Now they have some players who can compete for those bottom spots that are actually good at what they do in maybe a more limited roll.

The Ottawa senators will never recover from losing Matt Puempel and Shane Prince

They didn’t recover from drafting them with mega talent still on the board

Hale The Villain

Apr 2, 2008
Jarventie was never seeing the PP in Ottawa so what is he? He’s not a 3rd liner in the NHL so having players that aren’t really good outside of their roll is when you move on and not try to force it like old times.

Now they have some players who can compete for those bottom spots that are actually good at what they do in maybe a more limited roll.

You would have a point if Bourgault was a gritty two-way forward that is valuable when he's not producing, but in reality he's similar to Jarventie in that his value comes almost solely from the numbers he puts up.

Also Jarventie could have provided some value as the one-timer/shooting-threat on the 2nd PP in a year or so. We're not that loaded with offensive talent that he'd have no chance to get some opportunity with the man advantage.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I mean the types of players they are Jarventie would have a longer development curve than a small skill guy. Jarventie needed to grow into his frame, he was showing consistent improvement while Bourgoult is regressing. To me Jarventie should have had more value, I really dont like it. Jarventie was always a project. Plus ottawa adds the pick.

This is probably my least favorite move yet. But I get labelled here for liking everything with this management team, which I dont. But whatever, I have seen the logic in most of Staios's decisions. This one leaves me scratching my head.

With Staios being in the Oilers organization he probably got a good look at him, but I still dont like it.

Yeah this one seems weird to me too.
It sorted of looked to me like the Jarventie gamble was paying off.
Would this be Dimaio? He’s the new head of pro scouting - people raved about him in Anaheim

We will see I guess, let’s go Bourgeault!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
You would have a point if Bourgault was a gritty two-way forward that is valuable when he's not producing, but in reality he's similar to Jarventie in that his value comes almost solely from the numbers he puts up.

Also Jarventie could have provided some value as the one-timer/shooting-threat on the 2nd PP in a year or so. We're not that loaded with offensive talent that he'd have no chance to get some opportunity with the man advantage.

Jarventie I found kinda like Bobby Ryan, a dopie player who doesn’t look like they are hustling or jumping onto pucks close to them with a battle level that impressed me.

Staois would know the Edmonton prospect list pretty well so I think the trade will work out

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I think so too.

Bourgault could turn into a player he seems to have a decent skillset & maybe it's a situation where both need a change of scenery or it could be a nothing burger.

I can’t say for Bourgeault, but why did Jarventie need a change of scenery?

I’m not going to lose a lot of sleep here but seems to me he was progressing exactly the way you would have hoped when he was drafted.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
You're reading far too much into bottom of the lineup changes.

Besides Perron, who was brought in for some veteran leadership, the players he's added at forward are bottom 6 guys and AHLers, who are generally 200 foot players that play hard, as that's the only way they can make the NHL without high-end skillsets.

Bourgault is a small skill guy. He's not particularly gritty or good defensively. He's been described as top 6 or bust, much like Jarventie, but I'd say top 9 or bust is more accurate. If anything he's an example against your thesis here.
Has Bourgault adjusted his game since being drafted?

In looking up some footage on him it seems like he was used on the PK in Bakersfield and has had some really nice plays of reading and intercepting passes and scoring shorthanded goals or creating quality scoring chances. He seems like he has pretty strong positional play and plays with good pace. He seemed a bit like Wyatt Bongiovanni who had a pretty strong performance since coming over in the trade from Winnipeg. Bourgault isn't that big but he does come across as stocky and strong on his skates.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad