Robin Lehner

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
All 3 guys had ridiculous numbers. How do you explain this? they didn't have the 3 best goalies in the league.

All 3 guys are still putting up great numbers playing behind terrible defence.

I don't think that the defence was bad last year, but the goalies were better.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I'll let this Anderson trading thing go, but if its possible to get a #1 overall pick (Yakupov) and now is the time to make that deal, I make that deal every time.

If the offer is a deal where its just okay I'll keep Anderson and have him as 40/40 gp guy. Lehner can easily play 40+ games this season.

Thats all Im trying to say. Anderson should be dealt if it makes sense because his value will never be higher.

What if Lehner could net us a bigger return in a trade?

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
All 3 guys had ridiculous numbers. How do you explain this? they didn't have the 3 best goalies in the league.

Ill explain it by telling you that all three goalies had exceptional years which they have carried over to this year.
How do YOU explain that all three are doing it again? 2 in front of our god awful defensive zone play and one of them is doing it on a different team. I suppose Bishop brought our historically unique opponent shot selection strategy to Tampa as well.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Ill explain it by telling you that all three goalies had exceptional years which they have carried over to this year.
How do YOU explain that all three are doing it again? 2 in front of our god awful defensive zone play and one of them is doing it on a different team. I suppose Bishop brought our historically unique opponent shot selection strategy to Tampa as well.

Short sample size so far this year...

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Lehner is starting to look like a generational goaltender... you do not trade them away.

I do not understand why we would trade either of our tenders.

I agree. I think the only way the team trades Anderson is if somebody offers something that just blows Murray away. Or next season before the deadline if Lehner is just too good not to play fulltime

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I agree. I think the only way the team trades Anderson is if somebody offers something that just blows Murray away. Or next season before the deadline if Lehner is just too good not to play fulltime

My opinion exactly. I do think Lehner will surpass Andy before Andy's contract is up though, in which case not trading Andy would be bad asset management

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Generational is a bit much, but I think he has the potential to be a franchise goalie.

Since 2011, he's had a .925 save% in between his AHL and NHL duties. And has won the AHL playoffs MVP as well as the Calder Cup with Bingo.

He definitely has the potential to become a generational talent. He has all the tools necessary to become one and is only 22.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
We're using the word generational way too prematurely around here.

FWIW Lundqvist Anderson and Quick, 3 guys who are among the best right now (even if they aren't generational) had played a combined 9 NHL games by the one they were Lehner's age

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
It is too early to call Lehner a generation talent, but he certainly does have the skill sets to be one.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Since 2011, he's had a .925 save% in between his AHL and NHL duties. And has won the AHL playoffs MVP as well as the Calder Cup with Bingo.

He definitely has the potential to become a generational talent. He has all the tools necessary to become one and is only 22.

I think generational is a tad overzealous, im a tad hesitant to even use the word franchise. Many goalies have come into the league oozing potential and fizzled out under the pressure of playing 60+ games a year in the NHL.

Lehner just seems to piss confidence, it really looks like he has the mental strength to handle the pressure of it all. He certainly has the skill and history of preforming at every level he's played. But until he does it, its still just speculation.

To call him generational puts him up there with Brodeur, Hasek and Roy. Its a tad early for that I think.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
I think generational is a tad overzealous, im a tad hesitant to even use the word franchise. Many goalies have come into the league oozing potential and fizzled out under the pressure of playing 60+ games a year in the NHL.

Lehner just seems to piss confidence, it really looks like he has the mental strength to handle the pressure of it all. He certainly has the skill and history of preforming at every level he's played. But until he does it, its still just speculation.

To call him generational puts him up there with Brodeur, Hasek and Roy. Its a tad early for that I think.

I agree but I said he has the potential to become one not that he is a sure fire Hall of Fame goalie. I think it's fair at this point to say that he does have that potential. Will he become one? Nobody knows.

I have been following him through his days in Sweden, in Soo and Bingo. He's got the talent, athleticism, size and attitude to become that kind of player.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
If Lehner was generational he would be a starter over Anderson.

If he was a franchise goalie then he would be a starter over Anderson.

His potential is somewhere towards the latter, but calling him generational is very premature.

source

Jul 13, 2008
FWIW Lundqvist Anderson and Quick, 3 guys who are among the best right now (even if they aren't generational) had played a combined 9 NHL games by the one they were Lehner's age

Of goalies who have played 9 or more NHL games by the age of 22, what proportion can be fairly characterized as "generational"? What about those who have played 27 games by age 22? Any difference?

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
If Lehner was generational he would be a starter over Anderson.

If he was a franchise goalie then he would be a starter over Anderson.

His potential is somewhere towards the latter, but calling him generational is very premature.

Well Hasek whom i think most would consider to be a generational talent, didn't become a starter till well into his 20s. The blackhawks even traded him away for peanuts cuz ed belfour. Some goalies just take longer to get going, and most don't hit their peak till near 30.

I think that's why people are so excited about Lehner, he's oh so good and oh so young. If he keeps improving for the next decade ,. .. yikes.

I get giddy when thinking about Ottawa's goaltending. This city has never had it so good, except for those 6 games Hasek played here.

source

Jul 13, 2008
Well Hasek whom i think most would consider to be a generational talent, didn't become a starter till well into his 20s. The blackhawks even traded him away for peanuts cuz ed belfour. Some goalies just take longer to get going, and most don't hit their peak till near 30.

I think that's why people are so excited about Lehner, he's oh so good and oh so young. If he keeps improving for the next decade ,. .. yikes.

I get giddy when thinking about Ottawa's goaltending. This city has never had it so good, except for those 6 games Hasek played here.

To what extent is Hasek's development trajectory of any predictive value for Lehner's future development?

Lots of goalies were in the puck-stopping business when they were at an age younger than that of Hasek when he broke out.

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
To what extent is Hasek's development trajectory of any predictive value for Lehner's future development?

Lots of goalies were in the puck-stopping business when they were at an age younger than that of Hasek when he broke out.

Its not, just an example of a generational talent that took longer to develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad