Eklund Rumor: RNH to NYI?

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
At this point Isles have a high chance of drafting Nolan Patrick. We also have Barzal in the fold, two highly touted WHL bred centermen. I don't see why we pay for RNH given these circumstances.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
At this point Isles have a high chance of drafting Nolan Patrick. We also have Barzal in the fold, two highly touted WHL bred centermen. I don't see why we pay for RNH given these circumstances.

Cuz we're gonna need a vet centreman to replace JT after he leaves

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
Do the Isles have a 2nd pairing RHD who can QB a powerplay? If not, I can't possibly see a deal. Our only need is a puck-moving Dman who can QB a PP -- preferably a right-hander.

Although Klefbom has done well QBing our PP, so who really knows...

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

What do you consider a high chance? I wouldn't consider 20% at most a good chance, and we saw that quite clearly last year. Only 2 of the top 3 picks actually finished in the bottom 3, and the worst team has only selected 1st overall like once in the last 4 or 5 years.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Do the Isles have a 2nd pairing RHD who can QB a powerplay? If not, I can't possibly see a deal. Our only need is a puck-moving Dman who can QB a PP -- preferably a right-hander.

Although Klefbom has done well QBing our PP, so who really knows...

You pretty much describes Pulock, a guy most Isles would like to see stay in our system.

KarmaPolice

Snack enthusiast
Oct 5, 2007
In Limbo
You pretty much describes Pulock, a guy most Isles would like to see stay in our system.

That's the guy I originally wanted and thought we should've got in that trade at the draft a couple years ago for a 1st and 2nd rounder, instead of crappy Griffin Reinhart. If we trade another huge asset for a guy we should've got in the first place, I will be VERY pissed. How Lowe, MacT, Howson and ANY of the 'Old Boys Club' who were a part of convincing Chia to make that trade (and we know they did from Chia's interviews) are still around in the Oilers organization blows my mind. They're a bunch of idiots who only stay because of owner Katz, who idolizes these guys for god knows what reason. They have absolutely no shame. Nor do they take any responsibility in how they completely drove our team and organization into the ground and made it a league-wide embarassment, and Katz was just as much a part of it himself -- making us draft Yak when our scouting department wanted to take Murray. God, I hope Chia and Bob Nicholson don't allow any of these guys to affect their decision making.

Anyway, Pulock isn't worth RNH. He's not proven enough. He's one of those guys that's worth more to your org. than he would be to ours, at the moment. The same actually goes for RNH for us; he's worth more to us then he appears to others when they look at his stats, because he does so much more for us than put up points -- that's pretty secondary, actually, compared to his main role of going against other top lines. I hope we don't trade him.

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Luckily we won't have to find out because he's not available, while Hall was openly available in the summer. If someone wants RNH they can overpay because we don't have any reason to trade him right now.

Who is to say he is not? The Preds almost pulled off a Jones for RNH deal until they found out they could get Johansen instead. If you want to believe that they took Johansen due to his size then that's one hell of a diss to the guy who Oiler fans state plays all the hard minutes and shelters McDavid and Draisaitl.

And as far as I remember, it was Eberle whose name was being floated. The Taylor Hall trade came as a surprise to most.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Desperate teams like the Flames and Isles should trade with each other. Oilers can stay put.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Who is to say he is not? The Preds almost pulled off a Jones for RNH deal until they found out they could get Johansen instead. If you want to believe that they took Johansen due to his size then that's one hell of a diss to the guy who Oiler fans state plays all the hard minutes and shelters McDavid and Draisaitl.

And as far as I remember, it was Eberle whose name was being floated. The Taylor Hall trade came as a surprise to most.

What are you even talking about? Chia made it pretty openly clear that anyone on the team was available besides McDavid. I think the Oilers would have liked to keep Hall, but at the same time I think they were willing to move him for the right piece not only because he had the most value, but because it signified them handing the leadership of the team over to McDavid, something that may not have transitioned as smoothly as they'd have liked with Hall's personality there. Thats not an insult to Hall, thats just the team showing they wanted to go in a different direction and hand full leadership going forward to McDavid because of how much they believe in him.

Back to my first sentence, what does the Johansen trade have to do with any of this? Yes the Oilers may have been looking to move RNH for Seth Jones, thats because they desperately needed a RHD who could play top pairing either now or in the near future. Now, would the Oilers like to add a PPQB RHD to the team? Probably. Do you see one on NYI, cause I sure don't. So maybe Nuge is still available if the right deal comes along, but it won't be for subpar value because they aren't desperate for a PPQB like they were for a top pair RHD. I think they're more than fine giving Klefbom a full season to see what he can be. After a rough start he is really coming into his own, similar to how he was last season before he missed 50 games with a staph infection. So no I don't believe RNH is available to be had unless its for fair value and a very specific type of player. Maybe he will be in the summer if Draisaitl and Caggiula prove themselves capable of taking the hard matchups at home (in Draisaitls case), and being a suitable 3C (in Caggiula's case), but in the meantime I find it hard to believe that Chia will be looking to move Nuge unless the perfect deal comes along.

TheGhost

Jun 11, 2015
Salmon Arm, BC
Something that I think a lot of people aren't considering here, if the Oilers trade RNH for a defenseman right now, that move gives Edmonton a headache come the expansion draft. As it stands right now, they stand to lose one of Pouliot/Kassian/Letestu/Davidson, but if RNH is traded for a D-man, they are then forced to protect that player and expose Maroon/Pitlick/Slepyshev in addition to the players listed above. That leaves the strong possibility of the Oilers losing 2/3 of their second line to acquire a defenseman that isn't nearly as much of a need now as it was in the summer.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Something that I think a lot of people aren't considering here, if the Oilers trade RNH for a defenseman right now, that move gives Edmonton a headache come the expansion draft. As it stands right now, they stand to lose one of Pouliot/Kassian/Letestu/Davidson, but if RNH is traded for a D-man, they are then forced to protect that player and expose Maroon/Pitlick/Slepyshev in addition to the players listed above. That leaves the strong possibility of the Oilers losing 2/3 of their second line to acquire a defenseman that isn't nearly as much of a need now as it was in the summer.

Slepyshev is expansion exempt, but you're right about the rest. If they traded Nuge for a Dman they'd have to go the 8 player route and would only be able to protect:

Klefbom, (Nuge return), Larsson, Sekera, Draisaitl, Lucic, Eberle, Maroon. Not the worst thing in the world, but I'm sure they'd rather be able to protect an extra 2 players.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
What do you consider a high chance? I wouldn't consider 20% at most a good chance, and we saw that quite clearly last year. Only 2 of the top 3 picks actually finished in the bottom 3, and the worst team has only selected 1st overall like once in the last 4 or 5 years.

When I say high, I mean relative to the league, I think the addition of RNH to the Isles may put them just outside the lottery range. I am fairly confident that if the Isles do not make any changes, they'll be a lottery team.

Which brings me to this point:

Why give up assets for RNH now when we have a (Barzal) bluechip prospect with an extremely similar skill set in our system AND the chance to get another player who can make an immediate impact?

RNH is not going to come into Brooklyn and turn the team around on his own. I do think he would be an excellent replacement (perhaps enhancement) for Nielsen.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Considering Edmonton was allegedly willing to give up hall you're probably wrong

I created a thread right after the world championships

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2087217&highlight=

I created that on June 6th 2016.

What I got from someone I trust(flame away) was that the NYI and Oilers had discussed at some point in time Hall for Hamonic, a 1st and another player(believed to be Strome--could be wrong)--about 2 hours before the Hall for Larsson deal came down my buddy told me the NYI asked for either Nurse or Klefbom to be added to the deal and that killed the deal.

In Russia I talked to several people who worked in and around NHL teams and it was not secret that Hall was the bait and the oilers were looking for the best deal.

The deal was never Hall for Hamonic 1 for 1

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
When I say high, I mean relative to the league, I think the addition of RNH to the Isles may put them just outside the lottery range. I am fairly confident that if the Isles do not make any changes, they'll be a lottery team.

Which brings me to this point:

Why give up assets for RNH now when we have a (Barzal) bluechip prospect with an extremely similar skill set in our system AND the chance to get another player who can make an immediate impact?

RNH is not going to come into Brooklyn and turn the team around on his own. I do think he would be an excellent replacement (perhaps enhancement) for Nielsen.

Oh I wasn't saying the Islanders should trade for Nuge, I was just saying that there is very little the Islanders could offer up to entice us to even want to move Nuge at this point now that we've acquired Larsson.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Oh I wasn't saying the Islanders should trade for Nuge, I was just saying that there is very little the Islanders could offer up to entice us to even want to move Nuge at this point now that we've acquired Larsson.

Well then we are in complete agreement. Snow had has chance this summer, Chia's got the leverage now.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
What are you even talking about? Chia made it pretty openly clear that anyone on the team was available besides McDavid. I think the Oilers would have liked to keep Hall, but at the same time I think they were willing to move him for the right piece not only because he had the most value, but because it signified them handing the leadership of the team over to McDavid, something that may not have transitioned as smoothly as they'd have liked with Hall's personality there. Thats not an insult to Hall, thats just the team showing they wanted to go in a different direction and hand full leadership going forward to McDavid because of how much they believe in him.

Back to my first sentence, what does the Johansen trade have to do with any of this? Yes the Oilers may have been looking to move RNH for Seth Jones, thats because they desperately needed a RHD who could play top pairing either now or in the near future. Now, would the Oilers like to add a PPQB RHD to the team? Probably. Do you see one on NYI, cause I sure don't. So maybe Nuge is still available if the right deal comes along, but it won't be for subpar value because they aren't desperate for a PPQB like they were for a top pair RHD. I think they're more than fine giving Klefbom a full season to see what he can be. After a rough start he is really coming into his own, similar to how he was last season before he missed 50 games with a staph infection. So no I don't believe RNH is available to be had unless its for fair value and a very specific type of player. Maybe he will be in the summer if Draisaitl and Caggiula prove themselves capable of taking the hard matchups at home (in Draisaitls case), and being a suitable 3C (in Caggiula's case), but in the meantime I find it hard to believe that Chia will be looking to move Nuge unless the perfect deal comes along.

Well I never intended to insinuate that RNH would be moved unless it was a deal that made sense of Edmonton. No one makes trades for the sake of making trades unless you're Lightning management circa 2008-2010. That and if it was possible he could have been dealt before it's entirely possible he could be dealt again.

Let's face it: Taylor is/was one of the best wingers in the league. Right now Kucherov is the darling in the spotlight but Hall would be right there with him were he healthy but he's flown under the radar on bad Oiler teams and NJ isn't a top gun just yet. In my opinion I think Hall's value is higher compared to RNH and it was reflected when he fetched the better defenseman in Larsson than RNH would have in Jones. Simply put I feel Nashville insulted RNH's value by taking a player just because he was bigger. Now if some idiot fanboy like myself can pull up that information, any GM can ask the Preds what their true evaluation of RNH was. I find that VERY hard to believe because I'd rather have the diminutive Tyler Johnson over almost any center in the league. Maybe I shouldn't weigh in personal experience so much but I'm a big believer in "where there is smoke there is fire" and that whatever is said of you behind your back can and will always be said again be it good or bad. I don't see how any of this will be good for the Oilers.

As to the change of leadership, I can't claim I'm an Oilers locker room insider but I think Hall's value necessitated the trade every bit as much as a change in leadership. However, given the fact that McDavid has "Next One" potential I don't see why Hall, who came into the league as one of the most decorated junior players of all time, wouldn't understand that change in leadership. The last guy I can think of who was picked 1st overall after winning the Memorial Cup twice as a junior is Hawerchuk. There might've been someone else in between but that's some elite company that Hall is in.

I digress though, I watch the Oilers as much as I possibly can because I feel like they have the highest to climb. But as it comes to RNH I see playmaker who should pot 56 assists a season instead of that being a career high in points to go with 15-20 goals. But instead Mac has the kid turning into a glorified Valtteri Filppula.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Well I never intended to insinuate that RNH would be moved unless it was a deal that made sense of Edmonton. No one makes trades for the sake of making trades unless you're Lightning management circa 2008-2010. That and if it was possible he could have been dealt before it's entirely possible he could be dealt again.

Let's face it: Taylor is/was one of the best wingers in the league. Right now Kucherov is the darling in the spotlight but Hall would be right there with him were he healthy but he's flown under the radar on bad Oiler teams and NJ isn't a top gun just yet. In my opinion I think Hall's value is higher compared to RNH and it was reflected when he fetched the better defenseman in Larsson than RNH would have in Jones. Simply put I feel Nashville insulted RNH's value by taking a player just because he was bigger. Now if some idiot fanboy like myself can pull up that information, any GM can ask the Preds what their true evaluation of RNH was. I find that VERY hard to believe because I'd rather have the diminutive Tyler Johnson over almost any center in the league. Maybe I shouldn't weigh in personal experience so much but I'm a big believer in "where there is smoke there is fire" and that whatever is said of you behind your back can and will always be said again be it good or bad. I don't see how any of this will be good for the Oilers.

As to the change of leadership, I can't claim I'm an Oilers locker room insider but I think Hall's value necessitated the trade every bit as much as a change in leadership. However, given the fact that McDavid has "Next One" potential I don't see why Hall, who came into the league as one of the most decorated junior players of all time, wouldn't understand that change in leadership. The last guy I can think of who was picked 1st overall after winning the Memorial Cup twice as a junior is Hawerchuk. There might've been someone else in between but that's some elite company that Hall is in.

I digress though, I watch the Oilers as much as I possibly can because I feel like they have the highest to climb. But as it comes to RNH I see playmaker who should pot 56 assists a season instead of that being a career high in points to go with 15-20 goals. But instead Mac has the kid turning into a glorified Valtteri Filppula.

Like I said its entirely possible he could be made available, but I don't see a reasonable trade right now that makes sense, especially with expansion looming. If anything I could see a deal this summer if he were to be dealt, but it would require Draisaitl to prove himself as a #2C who can take the hard defensive matchups, and Caggiula proving he can slide into the 3C as a permanent fixture. Both of those things are more than possible.

Now as for Nuge's production, maybe he does and maybe he doesn't have that offensive potential anymore to be a 60 or 70 point guy. I think its hard for most players to put up that kind of production from the 2nd/3rd line, especially with the way Edmonton is running 3 scoring lines so the winger pool is a little diluted for Nuge and Draisaitl (although RNH has been with Eberle and Maroon for the last 3 or 4 games and they've been creating a ton since then). The other thing is Nuge has been bumped down to 2nd PP so his production is going to suffer even more from that. Maybe they'd be better off running Draisaitl on wing with Nuge, but they seem to like the 3 line attack to create mismatches.

I don't have an issue with the way TMc is utilizing RNH. He is by far our best defensive forward at this point in his career, and is noticeably stronger this year. He wins the majority of puck battles he's involved in simply because his stick work is very good and he is not as easy to knock off the puck as he once was. He's tracking to be a poor-man's Bergeron, and imo won't be at his peak for another couple years as he finishes adding weight and strength. I think the role he's been given helps the Oilers win more hockey games than they would if he was trying to get RNH to just run and gun to pad his point totals. He doesn't need to do that when we have a 1st line centre that is probably going to score 90-100 points this season.

We'll see how the rest of the season goes, but if he manages to score 50 points with his very good defensive play and limited offensive opportunities then I will be ecstatic. He's been snake bitten and has had poor performance out of his line mates up until recently, but imo he is more than capable and will break through eventually this year.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Wow the dead last team in the NHL fans think they can get RNH for bargain :laugh: They had 65 point player in Okposo spent his money on Ladd let Neilson go and one of the worst drafting teams out there good luck Islanders can See JT wanting out of that circus

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Wow the dead last team in the NHL fans think they can get RNH for bargain :laugh: They had 65 point player in Okposo spent his money on Ladd let Neilson go and one of the worst drafting teams out there good luck Islanders can See JT wanting out of that circus

Careful, Islanders might have more points than the Oilers by year end. I am sure they won't overpay for an over paid 2C/3C on a long term deal either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad