Confirmed with Link: RIP Johnny & Matthew Gaudreau

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
That game 7 OT goal against Dallas will forever be one of my favourite moments.
For me, it'll be that game in 2014 against the Kings when he took over and got the hat trick to force OT, which we won and ended an 8 game losing streak and kickstarted the 2015 playoff run. That 2014-2015 season is one of the most entertaining seasons of Flames hockey for me.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
This is heartbreaking. I feel so bad for the Gaudreau’s, they're such a great group of people.

I really don't think I would've gotten nearly as invested in the Flames had it not been for Johnny basically being must watch TV. RIP to him and Matthew.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Yup, this was what I was expecting to wake up to and it’s crushing. Worst day of my fandom as a flame and it doesn’t come close.

Just put aside the player, this was a 31 yr young man who has just left behind his beautiful family and 2 kids because of circumstances he had no chance of controlling and foreseeing.

😭

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Yup, this was what I was expecting to wake up to and it’s crushing. Worst day of my fandom as a flame and it doesn’t come close.

Just put aside the player, this was a 31 yr young man who has just left behind his beautiful family and 2 kids because of circumstances he had no chance of controlling and foreseeing.

😭

Was trying to find the words to describe my feelings, the bolded is the closest I have seen. Just crushing, we are only fans but this circumstance is just beyond imagination.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Gutted.
It's just a horrible situation all around. I feel for the family. Guy being the dad that was so tied into his kids' success... being a young father of two... It's just heart breaking and terrible.

It's shitty to think that this organization and John never got a chance to bury the hatchet in a way either... you know like 10 years from now when we just acknowledge he was one of the best to wear a Flames jersey; and he could of been retired as a Flame and honoured with him in attendance. Just shitty. I really hope they consider retiring the 13 and putting him in the rafters.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Very tragic and I've been feeling somewhat empty today from this news.

We all remember Feaster drafting him and saying "what"? "Are you out of your mind selecting this smurf?".

Then we anxiously followed his time in the NCAA and grew cautiously excited that maybe, just maybe, he could be an NHL player.

Then he arrived. And holy moly, the kid can play! Got us out of our seats he did. All of a sudden optimism reigned.

Then nine short years later he left us. Some fans were pissed that he didn't stay and couldn't understand a young man's desire to move back to his home country and start a family.

While his career took a bit of a hit he got married and had two children with his wife, Meredith.

That in itself is a greater accomplishment in life.

RIP John. I hope they have hockey up there.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
This was such a tragedy to wake up to. My heart breaks for the Gaudreau family, I can't fathom to imagine the pain they are in, especially cause today was supposed to be a celebration for them.

On a personal note, Johnny meant so much to me, watching him throughout his years here was so pleasant, especially from 2015-2019 when I battled demons personally, the escape was always my fandom for the Flames and watching him just play his exciting style. It's a weird thing to say considering we never personally knew him, but I'm sure I can speak for many in saying he impacted our lives so positively, and for me he helped me find happiness when I was in a place of struggle, and I'll always remember him fondly for that. RIP Johnny Hockey ♥️

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
rip johnny hockey always enjoyed watching him play when he was in calgary such a tragic situation . can only imagine how his sister is feeling today on what was suppose to be the best day of her life condolences to all the family :(

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
I don't have much to say. always had a blast watching him on the ice, I still have a hard time believing this is even real. not the kind of news I wanted to see on my birthday, I can't imagine how his family is feeling especially given the wedding

I'll echo y'all and say retire the 13

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Yo. That is f***ed.

I heard the news, and it just isn't sinking in. Like... I have his jersey nearby. He's immortalized as a Flame... this just doesn't compute. Matthew too. I was hoping he could get a few games in with his bro like the Hamiltons did in Flames silks.

Was trying to find the words to describe my feelings, the bolded is the closest I have seen. Just crushing, we are only fans but this circumstance is just beyond imagination.

Yeah, one of the first thoughts that crossed my mind a little bit too. This is a true Forever a Flame type of thing when even though he was playing in Columbus, this shakes us as if he were still here. I'm just flabbergasted. It just doesn't seem like it is real.

I'm still confused and shaking and I'm a nobody. Even if they didn't know us, Johnny felt like a close buddy around here.

Best wishes for all of those who loved Johnny and Matthew. And even though we are but just a lot of complete randoms that you do not know, our condolences are sincere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad