Confirmed with Link: Rights to Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th rd selection

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Rumors are the league has already warned Toronto about signing Tanev to a long term deal that circumvents the cap, IE a 6 year 24 mil deal that see's Tanev goes on LTIR for the last couple of years...

• Haha
Reactions: OddyOh

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
Still hasn't signed?

I thought we must have had something sorted when we traded for him.
Maybe not

His agent said that at the time of the trade they had not talked to Toronto yet.... and I believe everything an agent says....

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Reactions: Kiwi

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I f***ing hate Seravelli for bringing media attention to this....AS SOON AS THE LEAFS GOT INVOLVED

It was crickets when Tampa wanted to do it with Stamkos and Vegas circumventing the cap every year.

Suddenly the leafs are rumored to be doing it, its making headlines, and the NHL league office is involved

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Right player, but frankly I’d much prefer that we don’t sign him to some wacky circumvention contract. That sort of shit bites you in the ass whether it’s the league making you forfeit a pick or not.

And for real, Tanev is a good player, but why do we have to bribe him with 10m extra to sign here? Just offer him the most money, trying to reinvent the wheel is wack.

Shit like this is the counter argument to MLSE only caring about money. They’re offering to light a pile of it on fire here, they’re actually just incompetent.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not going to lie thought this would be done by now, still think it gets done but it is taking longer then I thought it would.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
His agent said that at the time of the trade they had not talked to Toronto yet.... and I believe everything an agent says....

giphy.gif
giphy.gif
If true it will be another agent who sees big dollar signs by the MLSE, especially after we threw a bone away to get the rights to negotiate exclusively.

I can't imagine Leafs not having spoke to their agent. I presume Brad has some relationship with the agent which he trusts he can work through.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Rumors are the league has already warned Toronto about signing Tanev to a long term deal that circumvents the cap, IE a 6 year 24 mil deal that see's Tanev goes on LTIR for the last couple of years...
Obviously, a team cannot put him on LTIR unless he is injured.

Reactions: horner

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
4.5 X 5 years
1st year 7 million
2nd year 7 million
3rd year 4.5 million
4th year 2 million
5th year 2 million

That contract would be Illegal.

If you pay him 7M as the highset amount in any year, the minimum you can pay him another year year is 4.2M

If you pay him 7M in year one, the most you can change between years 1.75M

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Adding fake years does. Though I can't imagine a team adding fake years.

There’s no such thing as fake years though. There’s nothing in the CBA saying we cannot sign a 35 year old for 6-7 years. Even if the spirit of that is to circumvent the cap, and let’s be real, it obviously is, there is no rule actually being broken. And the odds Tanev retires or is unable to play those later years is high. They were the ones that made the cut off for these types of deals 35+ at signing. Tanev doesn’t qualify so the NHL can go fly a kite

Reactions: arso40 and Hellcat

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
It stupid, they already put the 35+ rule and the year to year variability rules in place to severley limit the effects of this. Term limits also limits how much this can effect the AAV.

If they deem any contact that doesn't violate any of those rules cap circumvention, its just going overboard. What a stupid league this is.

Reactions: arso40 and Sypher04

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
There’s no such thing as fake years though. There’s nothing in the CBA saying we cannot sign a 35 year old for 6-7 years. Even if the spirit of that is to circumvent the cap, and let’s be real, it obviously is, there is no rule actually being broken. And the odds Tanev retires or is unable to play those later years is high. They made the cut off for these types of deals 35+ at signing. Taney doesn’t qualify so the NHL can go fly a kite
Absolutely +35 contracts and under 35 contracts.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Costa Rica vs Paraguay
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $50.00