Confirmed with Link: Rights to Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th rd selection

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Why is everyone talking like Tanev is a Leaf?

Has he signed the contract already?

Wake me up when there is actually a done deal. Til then, he is still just on our Leafs wish list !!!

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Well, I like our 7th Rd picks that we chose today so I think people should stop saying we gave up nothing for Tanev's rights.
Let me know as soon as one 7th round pick makes the NHL and plays more than 400 NHL games. Very unlikely IMHO.

With our Luck, Dallas will hit a home run with the 7th round pick we sent them for Tanev's rights.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I'm no expert but if they spend to the cap, his cap hit plays no part (see Klingberg and Murray).

They used Klingberg and Murray's LTIR this year.

The Leafs were over the cap. So I guess that answers that question. They won't be able to accrue cap space to use towards deadline deals if they Robidas Island him.

But hopefully that's years away and not after the first two weeks like what happened with Klingberg.

Reactions: ToneDog

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Wake me up when there is actually a done deal. Til then, he is still just on our Leafs wish list !!!
He’s signing with the Leafs. He has to meet with his agent and financial retirement advisor to sort out how they’ll invest this windfall they’re about to receive.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017

Most of the insiders saying the Leafs are gonna get it done.

Hoping Treliving can squeeze him for a hometown discount and get in like 3.75M instead.
I'll take a million under Brodie's AAV any day.

Reactions: CincoHolio

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Tanev isn't going to be very good in a couple years. Are we hoping he knows when to call it a career?

It will be interesting to see the amount per year breakdown to see when he can retire without leaving lots of money on the table.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
He’s signing with the Leafs. He has to meet with his agent and financial retirement advisor to sort out how they’ll invest this windfall they’re about to receive.
Uhm yeah you don't need to do that before you actually sign a deal.

If /when he signs we will all know. Agent is probably trying to squeeze the Leafs for some more $

Reactions: Nineteen67

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Because we know he's signing, when You have Friedman, and Dreger saying it, It's happening and It's a HUGE piece, It's not enough but It's a damn good start.

Reactions: trellaine201

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Let me know as soon as one 7th round pick makes the NHL and plays more than 400 NHL games. Very unlikely IMHO.

With our Luck, Dallas will hit a home run with the 7th round pick we sent them for Tanev's rights.
How many examples do you need?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Uhm yeah you don't need to do that before you actually sign a deal.

If /when he signs we will all know. Agent is probably trying to squeeze the Leafs for some more $
His largest contract was 22.5 , do you think he’ll sign for much more than that?

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Tanev isn't going to be very good in a couple years. Are we hoping he knows when to call it a career?

It will be interesting to see the amount per year breakdown to see when he can retire without leaving lots of money on the table.
Agreed, he should be pretty solid for two years. Good for 60-65 games a year. Hopefully.

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Right now, he's one of the best top 4 defenceman in the league. Past few years he's been pretty durable. Last 5 years he's played an average of 69.4 games a season. In comparison, Morgan Rielly has played an avg of 64.2 games. I don't hear much about how injury prone Rielly is. If we sign him, he'll be a great contributor for another 4 years. At that time, we'll deal with it.

Reactions: Kazparov and arso40

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad