Confirmed with Link: Rights to Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th rd selection

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
We need a trade + signing multiple guys

The draft has come and gone and no one has been dealt

Not even the bottom of barrel in timmins, kampf, reeves, jarnkrok, lilijgren, & dewar

1 or 2 UFA adds wont fix this team
Because nobody else wants them. It will take at least two years to build a cup contending defense. After next season will be the time to really go for it when Marner and Tavares’ contracts come off the books. In the meantime, they can add a few UFA dmen, re-sign Domi or Bertuzzi, a veteran goalie and maybe a third line centre. Trading Marner is the only way to bring back someone of value in a trade and free up enough cap space to go big game hunting but that’s not an easy deal to do.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We'll, they are a contender now, so for the next two or three years he will be a useful piece. Then they will replace him.
Not a Cup contender. They have too many unanswered questions at key positions - top D, goalie, 2,3,4 C, top 6 wingers, coaching and the entire top end players in the playoffs.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
There are some caveats that make it hard to actually pull off.

The player needs to be younger than 35 when the contract is signed. The lowest year (in salary) can't be less than 40% of the highest year, and each year can't be more than 25% less than the previous year. (I think)

It doesn't make alot of sense for players who will get paid alot (otherwise they're walking away from too much in the later years,) or who can realistically get another contract.

Tavares' current contract wouldn't work, but his next would (hypothetically.)

In the case of Tanev, they could sign him to something like 7x4M (cap hit), and then pay him something like 5.5/5.5/5/3.75/3/2.2/2.2. (give or take) He could walk away from the last 2-3 years and retire but he's still leaving money behind.

I doubt it happens and I might be totally wrong based on how signing bonus is factored in.

*Thanks for the corrections below.
I suspected there were caveats and situations. Either way, I don’t see Tanev as solution for the Leafs in their current state. Seems like a waste of time and money.

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
So what does everybody think is our most realistic defensive group? Something like the following?

Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - UFA
Benoit - Liljegren
Edmunson/Timmins/vet dman

If the UFA signing is a quality top 4 and Tanev stays healthy that's gotta be one of the best groups we've had in the Matthews era. Just concerned about what Tanev and the UFA contract would cost...
I would add that the UFA should be a puck moving defenseman for proper balance. The people suggesting Zadorov must want the Leafs to spend 40 minutes a game in their own end.

Reactions: Nineteen67

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I would add that the UFA should be a puck moving defenseman for proper balance. The people suggesting Zadorov must want the Leafs to spend 40 minutes a game in their own end.

But that means more hits and blocked shots, and I am told that is how you win playoff hockey.

I still want to go after Montour.

There are enough ELCs/cheaper forwards that we would fine there, and with puck moving D we'd have better offense already.

Reactions: bax

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Zadorov would be the second best skating D we have by a good margin and the best point shot we’ve had since McCabe. If anything the concern with him is that he’s sporadically a liability on D.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I suspected there were caveats and situations. Either way, I don’t see Tanev as solution for the Leafs in their current state. Seems like a waste of time and money.

I'm gonna need you to elaborate on how a #2-3 defenseman who is one of the best defensive players in the league at a hopefully very reasonable cap hit doesn't work as big part of the solution for this blueline. I think the general thought process has always been that we need 2-3 signings.

Zadorov would be the second best skating D we have by a good margin and the best point shot we’ve had since McCabe. If anything the concern with him is that he’s sporadically a liability on D.

That and cost.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'm gonna need you to elaborate on how a #2-3 defenseman who is one of the best defensive players in the league at a hopefully very reasonable cap hit doesn't work as big part of the solution for this blueline. I think the general thought process has always been that we need 2-3 signings.

That and cost.
He’d be fine if he was younger and able to play if they ever become eastern conference contenders, but they’re two yrs away from that.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Rielly - Tanev
McCabe - xxx
Benoit - xxx
xxx

Peace out Lilly unless you wanna come back for a 1.5x1 deal.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

That and cost.

Maybe I’m overrating him or underrating the other options on the market but when I hear Roy wants 6+, Pesce wants 7+, I don’t find something in the 5s that crazy for Z. When he’s on his game he’s a bigger threat offensively and can have a bigger impact defensively than the steady jacks of all trades. I don’t really value being able to tread water for a few more minutes a game that highly. Roy isn’t going to shut down a legitimate top line threat but Zadorov might put them on LTIR or at least have them avoid his side of the ice, high impact moments win tight playoff games more than being able to avoid playing your 3rd pair a little longer.

Ale Brew

Feb 24, 2020
Maybe I’m overrating him or underrating the other options on the market but when I hear Roy wants 6+, Pesce wants 7+, I don’t find something in the 5s that crazy for Z. When he’s on his game he’s a bigger threat offensively and can have a bigger impact defensively than the steady jacks of all trades. I don’t really value being able to tread water for a few more minutes a game that highly. Roy isn’t going to shut down a legitimate top line threat but Zadorov might put them on LTIR or at least have them avoid his side of the ice, high impact moments win tight playoff games more than being able to avoid playing your 3rd pair a little longer.
I think your point is valid…but the counter to that is the steady guys won’t make the costly mistake that costs you a game or series. Unfortunately Z is prone to those mistakes at times.

I’m fine with any of them as they are all upgrades.

Reactions: Sypher04

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
Tre said they couldn't he had to be on the roster already
I believe in order to get 8 years you have to be in the team by the trade deadline
I think that’s right

Playing him less and down the lineup out of spite hurts the team as much as it does Marner
Only idiots think that playing marner down the lineup and taking him off powerplay and penalty kill is something the leafs would do.
These posters have no common sense

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The knock on Zadorov is that he can spend weeks at a time in his own end. Great bottom pair player that’ll hit and make you keep your head up…but

Last edited:

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Call me crazy... but let's say the "real" deal for Tanev is 3 years at $4.5m.

If you're going to try and exercise your financial muscle.. why not do it over 8 years?

Value the 4th year at $2.5m and the 5th at $2m. Years 6-8, he's obviously not going to play.

Call the deal $20m over 8 years....frontloaded to whatever the maximum amount you can. Chris Tanev at $2.5m is a pretty good deal

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
I think your point is valid…but the counter to that is the steady guys won’t make the costly mistake that costs you a game or series. Unfortunately Z is prone to those mistakes at times.

I’m fine with any of them as they are all upgrades.

They do make those mistakes though, just slightly less often. That’s great over 82 games where a 10% difference adds up to a dozen goals against on the year, but over a 4-7 game series with completely different levels of line matching I think the difference defensively is overstated. Roy especially, if he’s as allergic to clearing the net as Kings fans say, it won’t really matter what he does on the other 99% of the rink if teams know to flood the crease when he’s on the ice.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Call me crazy... but let's say the "real" deal for Tanev is 3 years at $4.5m.

If you're going to try and exercise your financial muscle.. why not do it over 8 years?

Value the 4th year at $2.5m and the 5th at $2m. Years 6-8, he's obviously not going to play.

Call the deal $20m over 8 years....frontloaded to whatever the maximum amount you can. Chris Tanev at $2.5m is a pretty good deal

I don't think they can sign an 8 year deal, but I may try a cap circumvention style contract at 7 years. 2.5 to 3.0 for 7 years is probably a smart move.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I don't think they can sign an 8 year deal, but I may try a cap circumvention style contract at 7 years. 2.5 to 3.0 for 7 years is probably a smart move.

I don't imagine it'll be that low, even at 7 years, but somewhere in the 3s hopefully.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
The main board (trade rumors) is insane. It seems that you can't even post a Chris Tanev rights thread without there being massive flaming and sanctions handed out willy nilly.

Why do non leaf fans have to get so aggressively crazy against anything leafs?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Correct: 7 years in max length allowable but you very well could see longer term bringing down AAV with the last few years toss away years if need be with a front loaded contract with little remaining $$.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad