Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Post Draft, Pre Free Agent Frenzy

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Yeah but again, if the plan is to open the vault and max these two out you have to provide them with the wingers to play with. Maybe just my fears coming into play.. at some point we'll lose both. We saw what happend to CGY when they let their guys go to UFA with no real plan and they didn't get a damn thing, which is a) horrific asset management and b) a very possible scenario if these guys don't like what they see in terms of roster construction.

I wouldn't normally be wringing hands about this but Draisaitl is hitting UFA status after this next season so.. just not sure what the idea is going forward.

If there wasn't a plan for keeping both players, then Jeff Jackson wouldn't be here, they wouldn't have hired a Sports Psychologist to help the team with the playoffs (albeit, was for Skinner, but he did help other players out), they wouldn't have built this winning culture for them. I cannot see them just leaving. They know their best chance to win a cup is here. If they didn't care, they wouldn't have done this.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Might actually be possible to retain Henrique if you dump Ceci and are able to get Holloway and Broberg on cheap 1M deals. I'd personally be comfortable going into next season with this line up:

Nuge-McDavid-Hyman
Skinner-Drai-Arvidsson
Kane-Henrique-Holloway
Janmark-McLeod-Brown
Perry

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Broberg
Kulak-Stetcher

If Broberg doesn't take that next step or if Stetcher can't handle 3rd pair then you add to the D at the deadline. I'm salivating at that forward group.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Sounds like he didn't have any succession search in place for a GM.. that's a bit of poor planning, even if the team was in it right to the end.
He also said we would be quiet on Free agent day... You think he tells the media everything?

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
This was a good day of signings and I don't want to crap in anyone's cornflakes, but our most glaring need is still unaddressed our 2nd pair is going to continue to buckle under forecheck pressure and be inadequate at transitioning the puck to our improved forward group.

Like I'm a huge fan of upgrading Foegele to Arvidsson and Skinner is a lot of offensive pop at a very reasonable price, but nothing will impact this roster as much as getting that 2nd pair in order.
Still think that will be addressed at the trade deadline. More quality options then.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
let-him-cook-cook.gif

COOK JJ COOK

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
This was a good day of signings and I don't want to crap in anyone's cornflakes, but our most glaring need is still unaddressed our 2nd pair is going to continue to buckle under forecheck pressure and be inadequate at transitioning the puck to our improved forward group.

Like I'm a huge fan of upgrading Foegele to Arvidsson and Skinner is a lot of offensive pop at a very reasonable price, but nothing will impact this roster as much as getting that 2nd pair in order.
I'd like to see Stecher get a fair shake stapled to Nurse in this regard.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Everyone wants to trade Ceci to free up cap space to sign henrique, but I wonder if maybe someone like Mcleod might be the guy that gets moved. He's got speed, but tends to be a liability on the defensive end and doesn't bring any of the grit and tenacity you want on the 3rd/4th lines. You could tell Knoblauch didn't want to play him much by the time the finals rolled around.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

There's still a lot of time until the trade deadline, but reasonably speaking the D for all flak they get did choke the life out of Vancouver, Dallas, and even Florida's offense the longer those series went. Florida for example had 1.75 goals per game in the last 4 games of the Cup Final.

And you can consider Broberg a new addition basically who got a trial by fire by playing in the highest pressure situations you can play in.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory
If there wasn't a plan for keeping both players, then Jeff Jackson wouldn't be here, they wouldn't have hired a Sports Psychologist to help the team with the playoffs (albeit, was for Skinner, but he did help other players out), they wouldn't have built this winning culture for them. I cannot see them just leaving. They know their best chance to win a cup is here. If they didn't care, they wouldn't have done this.
We'll see I guess, Seravalli was ruminating it would take $40 million alone for Draisaitl, McDavid and Bouchard. Hefty contracts, with I'm assuming ~$15 million apiece for the two Fs and 10 for Bouchard or thereabouts (if he continues to produce 60+).

Shathar

Jul 23, 2009
Moncton, New Brunswi
From the start I said let the courts decide who is innocent or guilty. Then go from there.
The accused players fate shouldn't be decided by some social justice warriors from the sanctuary of their couch.

There are few people who would disagree with the spirit of what you keep saying bud.

But this situation is considerably different from that spirit. What is being decided in court is wether those involved are criminally responsible, not that the situation occurred (which we already know, DID occur).

And, regardless of what you or I or anyone thinks, no team--let alone the league--is going to touch those players for the foreseeable future.

You can call it justice. You can call it 'optics'. It doesn't matter what we call it. It just isn't going to happen. There is no point arguing about it. You know it isn't going to happen as well as anyone else here.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Everyone wants to trade Ceci to free up cap space to sign henrique, but I wonder if maybe someone like Mcleod might be the guy that gets moved. He's got speed, but tends to be a liability on the defensive end and doesn't bring any of the grit and tenacity you want on the 3rd/4th lines. You could tell Knoblauch didn't want to play him much by the time the finals rolled around.
IMO we need an upgrade on Ceci so he needs to go to facilitate that. McLeod can go too.

Reactions: Kerberos

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011

Both can go

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad