Confirmed with Link: Rights to Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th rd selection

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The big risk is a decline in play before pay. He'll be 25 for 2025, and a front loaded contract could still mean big money in the first 2-4 years
Who cares if it's somewhat front loaded, it's the cap hit. The Leafs don't have cash now? Sorry don't get it?

Reactions: Roo

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
This is a smart use of a 7th and expiring rights. Jump the line and get one of your guys. He makes your team better the second ink touches paper. Because you workout a sub-35yo deal for less money and more term, he can be retired, and costs less cap, allowing us to add as much as we can in FA.

Love it

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Who cares if it's front loaded, it's the cap hit. The Leafs don't have cash now? Sorry don't get it?
He doesn't retire or go on LTIR. He wants to play out to cash in on those middle years, but his play (in this theoretical situation) is cooked.

Last edited:

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
won't touch as in

rielly schenn is a better partnership then rielly tanev can be?
oh good schenn is no where near the level of a tanev, schenn is a 3rd pairing at best shown by him constantly being moved and scratched but....thats my opinion only
You just have to ignore some of these ‘predictions’, especially when you can’t even compare the two, tanev is superior lol

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He doesn't retire or go on LTIR. He wants to pay out to cash in on those middle years, but his play (in this theoretical situation) is cooked.
But he would go on LTIR, isn't that wink wink end game with a long term deal here? I don't think we sign him long long term without a parachute for the club.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
He needs to be the 3rd or 4th best the acquire over the next 12-18 months. By then he’ll just be in the way.
I agree with that. I like signing Skjei to play with McCabe or Liljegren and keeping Tanev with Rielly.

Rielly Tanev
Skjei Liljegren
Benoit McCabe

Then to your point, upgrade either by Lily developing into an actual top four, making Benoit a #7, LTIR Tanev.

Reactions: aingefan

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I agree with that. I like signing Skjei to play with McCabe or Liljegren and keeping Tanev with Rielly.

Rielly Tanev
Skjei Liljegren
Benoit McCabe

Then to your point, upgrade either by Lily developing into an actual top four, making Benoit a #7, LTIR Tanev.
We're not getting Skjei.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
But he would go on LTIR, isn't that wink wink end game with a long term deal here? I don't think we sign him long long term without a parachute for the club.
He'll need some recent injury history and the NHL seems to be more concerned with age circumvention which could be problematic. So I think we take retirement off the table with the front loading rules and then it's just LTIR or bust

Reactions: DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
This is a smart use of a 7th and expiring rights. Jump the line and get one of your guys. He makes your team better the second ink touches paper. Because you workout a sub-35yo deal for less money and more term, he can be retired, and costs less cap, allowing us to add as much as we can in FA.

Love it
And you know what's what come July 1st, he's signed and Tre can get ahead of other guys we might lose. The same people complaining about the 7th are on the 7th round picks threads saying they'll never make it lol.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

Rielly Tanev
Skjei Liljegren
Benoit McCabe

Still short a legit #1 D man and not good enough # 3 and 4.

Reactions: Tie Domi Esquire

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
He'll need some recent injury history and the NHL seems to be more concerned with age circumvention which could be problematic. So I think we take retirement off the table with the front loading rules and then it's just LTIR or bust
Perhaps, I'm just saying the Leafs aren't signing a guy this age long long term without some thought to how they divest themselves when he declines. Seems baked into the thought process unless we assume they're complete idiots. I don't. Thanks for the rules posts, my brain hurts lol. Bergman's NHL, what a beauty!

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
5, 5, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3
And give it mostly to him in signing bonuses if he wants.

Average 3.7M

Just as an idea of what this could look like.
My figures are probably a bit low.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
I'm not optimistic about any blue line projections for this team that has Liljegren in the top 4. Passable if he's bottom pairing.

Reilly-Tanev
McCabe-?
Benoit-Liljegren

Significantly better if the ? is a legit top 4 RD.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Sign Tanev 3.5 x 7
Sign Zadorov 5.5x5
Sign Brossoit 3.5 x 3
Sign Matt Roy 6x7
Sign Domi 4x4
Sign Skinner for league min

Trade Kampf and Jarnkrok for cap relief.

Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Nylander
Skinner - Holmberg - Marner
Prospect - Dewar - Reaves

Rielly - Tanev
Zadorov - Roy
McCabe - Benoit

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I can live with Tanev but I want no part of Zadorov or OEL. Also if Tanev was linked so heavily here why did we need to trade for his rights?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Sign Tanev 3.5 x 7
Sign Zadorov 5.5x5
Sign Brossoit 3.5 x 3
Sign Matt Roy 6x7
Sign Domi 4x4
Sign Skinner for league min

Trade Kampf and Jarnkrok for cap relief.

Knies - Matthews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Nylander
Skinner - Holmberg - Marner
Prospect - Dewar - Reaves

Rielly - Tanev
Zadorov - Roy
McCabe - Benoit

if Marner stays he will not on the 3rd line that's just disrespectful

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad