Confirmed with Link: [TOR/DAL] Leafs acquire rights to Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th rd selection

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Father Roy Richards

Nov 1, 2022
The pew
If you think Tanev is the worst option you clearly don’t know hockey. He’s arguably the best option available…. Unless you’re referring to injuries then that would be the only leg you have to stand on.

Injuries + age/style is a perfectly valid leg to stand on. He's a good player but giving him 5-6-7 years is risky, even if you plan to eventually put him on LTIR (which he has to be down with). LTIR is a potential headache. Still, gotta get creative so we'll see what the # comes in at

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
If it brings his average down really low I wouldn't care if they sign him for 8 years.

If he signs the contract now it won't count as a 35+ contract will it? So he could retire without it affecting the cap?

How much could they front load an 8x3.5M or 8x4M deal so that he could retire year 6?
They can give him a ton of money in signing bonuses front ended and jettison him to Robidas Island in a couple years?

Yeah, Leafs fan here really worried is Treliving really that bad...........we'll see.

Reactions: Jmo89

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
We tried to trade for both Tanev and Zadorov at the deadline but Calgary famously took less for both guys out of spite towards Tre.
Z was way before the deadline, but I could see it.

Funny, Tre feels like a guy that's really tough to hate

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Posted in the main trade thread

Screenshot (1464).png

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Injuries + age/style is a perfectly valid leg to stand on. He's a good player but giving him 5-6-7 years is risky, even if you plan to eventually put him on LTIR (which he has to be down with). LTIR is a potential headache. Still, gotta get creative so we'll see what the # comes in at
They obviously know he will do that (LTIR) they’ve clearly been talking to him already or they don’t make this trade… you’re not the only person with common sense I’m sure they know giving a 34 year old 6 years won’t age well….

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Guess they wanna try to get it done to have a clear idea about the cap number before Monday.
But maybe not since the RFA’s are all unsigned too.
Im not sure how to feel about a deliberate circumvention term to lower the AAV planning to use LTIR. That part was a pain and needless bit of drama with Lupul.
Just pay him.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I remember advocating for us to get Tanev like 4-5 years ago, but posters were complaining about his injury history at the time too.

There will always be flaws with any player.

I agree there will always be flaws.

I am concerned about the player currently.

I think there are legitimate concerns about his age and how well he will perform over his contract (whatever it will be), because of his injuries.

It is a gamble regardless, might turn out great, or might be terrible.

Signing him to a contract that will abuse LTIR is preferred obviously, but he has to be willing, and the injuries need to be legitimate.

I do hope that we abuse the loophole for LTIR while other teams are doing the same, so if we do that, great.

I'm curious how things will go, but I can see this being a bad contract due to his injuries catching up with him.

Father Roy Richards

Nov 1, 2022
The pew
They obviously know he will do that (LTIR) they’ve clearly been talking to him already or they don’t make this trade… you’re not the only person with common sense I’m sure they know giving a 34 year old 6 years won’t age well….

Well not that teams *don't* cheat the cap but there are so many LTIR variables that there's no real way to prenegotiate it. What if they say okay in 2030 you'll go on LTIR but he's still playing well? Also the NHL does have independent doctors to verify.

I'm just saying, of course there's risk in doing it, the team would know that and it's perfectly reasonable to take that risk at this point. I'm sure they know full well that this player will very likely end up on LTIR given his history, his style and his age but also *shrug*

LeafParade

Jun 27, 2019
If they do some funny 7 year contract at a low aav, they then can better address the other top 4 d position and extend either Bertuzzi or Domi fairly easily.

Dragao6

Dec 25, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I can almost guarantee that Tanev/Rielly won't touch Rielly/Schenn.

My point was that Rielly has meshed well with some other partners, I think best partner needs to also come with chemistry.

If Tanev can keep that level of play for 3 years, great, I just have doubts, that is all.

I am cautiously optimistic that this could be a good deal.

I wanted Demelo, Tanev is a good second option if the contract is reasonable. I also mostly wanted Demelo because I thought Tanev was going to get overpaid, but it looks like Demelo is also being overpaid, so it doesn't matter.
won't touch as in

rielly schenn is a better partnership then rielly tanev can be?
oh good schenn is no where near the level of a tanev, schenn is a 3rd pairing at best shown by him constantly being moved and scratched but....thats my opinion only

Reactions: Roo

NJG

Jun 27, 2015
Well not that teams *don't* cheat the cap but there are so many LTIR variables that there's no real way to prenegotiate it. What if they say okay in 2030 you'll go on LTIR but he's still playing well? Also the NHL does have independent doctors to verify.

I'm just saying, of course there's risk in doing it, the team would know that and it's perfectly reasonable to take that risk at this point. I'm sure they know full well that this player will very likely end up on LTIR given his history, his style and his age but also *shrug*
It’s fairly simple you don’t need to put a date on it… it’s obvious, until your game drops off the face of the earth you play… and as long as he’s playing you have one of the best defensive dmen in the league.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
won't touch as in

rielly schenn is a better partnership then rielly tanev can be?
oh good schenn is no where near the level of a tanev, schenn is a 3rd pairing at best shown by him constantly being moved and scratched but....thats my opinion only

Won't touch as in, I don't think any playoff year of Rielly/Tanev will be as good as Schenn/Rielly was.

The pairing of Rielly/Schenn had outrageous numbers, Rielly has had some good pairings over the years, not by skill level, but by how they played together.

Consistently good partners is another story and I hope Tanev can be that.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Also worth mentioning the cap hit will be less of an issue after this year with the core 4 contracts going to be settled (possibly as few as just 2 remain) and the cap going up. Treliving doesnt seem like the Dubas type to want to show how smart he is getting within $15 of hitting the cap so we are playing Trainers as backup goalies or dressing 19 a game type crap.

Reactions: Jmo89

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
The best part about the trade is its indication that Dallas is no longer in the bidding war, knowing how determined our GM is in trying to get tanev. Hopefully that puts a cap on how crazy the contract may look in the end.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I agree there will always be flaws.

I am concerned about the player currently.

I think there are legitimate concerns about his age and how well he will perform over his contract (whatever it will be), because of his injuries.

It is a gamble regardless, might turn out great, or might be terrible.

Signing him to a contract that will abuse LTIR is preferred obviously, but he has to be willing, and the injuries need to be legitimate.

I do hope that we abuse the loophole for LTIR while other teams are doing the same, so if we do that, great.

I'm curious how things will go, but I can see this being a bad contract due to his injuries catching up with him.

If we can, I would absolutely do the same thing with some other mid 30s guys if we think someone can give us a good 4 years. Front load the controls heavily, pad a couple extra years. Worst case scenario we eventually buy out the pittance of salary remaining if we cannot just LTIR or trade them. Hopefully in the meantime they can be major contributors to us winning.

We need to find stability in your lineup beyond 5 guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad