Speculation: *Rifai vs. Liljegren. Rifai Clears. Liljegren healthy scratch.

With the winds of change blowing through the Scotiabank Arena, who will be their 6th D?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
Well Timmins has only played 50 games with the leafs the past two yrs and has 24 pts and a plus 10

Maybe we shouldn’t write him off so quick as a suitable 5th/6th D

Lilly has been given more opportunities here. Even tho he filled in nicely when Rielly was hurt he just hasn’t taken the next step.
They’re not writing him off, but his injury history is concerning. At some point, you’re deemed too injury prone and not trustworthy in that regard.

Liljegren is just one perfect examples of a player that has the tools but hasn’t put it together. To me, he needs to up the pace and urgency in his game. He won’t be a physical defenseman. Buy the opposition target him as a weak link in the chain in the playoffs. Anticipate faster, get to pucks faster, use your skating to get pucks out more. He can do all those things. The puck needs to be moving the other way before the forecheckers start laying the body on him.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They’re not writing him off, but his injury history is concerning. At some point, you’re deemed too injury prone and not trustworthy in that regard.

Liljegren is just one perfect examples of a player that has the tools but hasn’t put it together. To me, he needs to up the pace and urgency in his game. He won’t be a physical defenseman. Buy the opposition target him as a weak link in the chain in the playoffs. Anticipate faster, get to pucks faster, use your skating to get pucks out more. He can do all those things. The puck needs to be moving the other way before the forecheckers start laying the body on him.

I'd be fine if they traded him for draft capital.

He'll probably take the next steps at his new location, but what would be so strange about that?

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
I'd be fine if they traded him for draft capital.

He'll probably take the next steps at his new location, but what would be so strange about that?
Nothing would be strange about it. We don’t have to look outside our own division to see examples of similar defensemen at his age, who were expendable, only to thrive somewhere else. We just want it to be here. And its very likely the reason why he's with us as opposed to depth D who showed well in the preseason.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Don’t forget too Berube was an analyst during the playoffs, he saw Lil get manhandled. I suspect camp reinforced his concerns.
Berube should have let Treliving know in that case it will be tough for lilijgren to break the squad with his style being not tuned with Berube system/approach

We should have dealt him as an RFA at the draft vs giving him 3M x 2 which makes him a cap dump if berube doesnt play him consistently

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Berube should have let Treliving know in that case it will be tough for lilijgren to break the squad with his style being not tuned with Berube system/approach

We should have dealt him as an RFA at the draft vs giving him 3M x 2 which makes him a cap dump if berube doesnt play him consistently
I could see some GM wanting him, he's still intriguing.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I could see some GM wanting him, he's still intriguing.
HOpefully

I feel we could have gotten a 2nd + 4th at the draft for liligren without his current deal

Feel we missed a chance to add picks this draft

Jarnkrok for a 3rd or 4th and 5th

Kampf for a 3rd or 4th and 5th

Lilijgrem for a 2nd amd 4th or 2 3rds

Would have given us more capspace (~7.5M capspace that group takes up) while giving 3-4 solid picks to use at this deadline or to draft for high ceiling longshot prospects

Guess we will see if the three can stick to the team and be useful

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
HOpefully

I feel we could have gotten a 2nd + 4th at the draft for liligren without his current deal

Feel we missed a chance to add picks this draft

Jarnkrok for a 3rd or 4th and 5th

Kampf for a 3rd or 4th and 5th

Lilijgrem for a 2nd amd 4th or 2 3rds

Would have given us more capspace (~7.5M capspace that group takes up) while giving 3-4 solid picks to use at this deadline or to draft for high ceiling longshot prospects

Guess we will see if the three can stick to the team and be useful

His deal is pretty reasonable though. I don't think it diminishes his trade value compared to what it'd be if he was still RFA.

Reactions: IronHookem

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad