Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Not a fighter, but he isn't afraid to drop them it seems, all three fights this past season were against Laval so that's a plus in my books.
I am happy to have someone else who will drop them - we will see if Kleven will have a tilt or 2 as well. Maybe I remember it wrong, but Smith seemed to welcome it and was a very tough customer.

If we can spread out a few guys who will take on that challenge, it is a huge plus in my books, despite fighting generally happening less.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Ostapchuk had that big fight against Rempe that got all sorts of visibility but is he really a fighter? Zack had loads of aggression in his game, but I don't see it in Ostapchuk.

I hope he plays big, with some speed, and becomes a great PK guy.

Maybe Fisher is a better comparator in terms of fighting.

A guy who doesn’t do it often, or relish it, but is scary strong when he does choose to drop them.

Last edited:

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Sens have a lot more flexibility in the top 9... including flexibility at C. It should bode well for them.

I really like Greig . He is a winner. He is mature beyond his years and is already a good 200 foot player. He's just getting his feet wet and we should see another step in his game this year. I personally thought he was great at C before Norris came back and they made that switch. I still think Greig out played him at that position and complimented his line much better with his smarts and his tenacity. He gets under the skin of his opponents and is willing to battle for every inch. The shit eating grin is perfect. I still laugh every time I think of the slapper into the empty net.
I am not being facetious. But what has Greig won. Was he on a wjc winning team? That year with bedard?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I am not being facetious. But what has Greig won. Was he on a wjc winning team? That year with bedard?
he's won our hearts.

ridly-greig-slapshot-slapshot.gif

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
he's won our hearts.

ridly-greig-slapshot-slapshot.gif
As petty as it sounds, I'm most looking forward to what Greig will do against the Leafs the first time we play this year.

Like I can imagine him giving Captain Underpants a facewash with his glove, and most of TML doing nothing about it, but when they do, someone like Domi will just look foolish trying to get a shot in

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He is 21 and missed out on two years because of Covid and won a WJC. What else should he have won? Are you serious? He plays a winning brand of hockey or do you disagree?

Reactions: Bileur

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He is 21 and missed out on two years because of Covid and won a WJC. What else should he have won? Are you serious? He plays a winning brand of hockey or do you disagree?
I disagree that he is a winner. That implies you have won and won often. He could become won.

But I honestly did not know whether had won a lot or not.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Definitely a competitor no debate there.

Those penalties need to come down tho
Panthers led the league in penalties last year and won the cup, being on that edge opens up the ice for the skilled guys. As a team, we drew more penalties than we took, being a greasy rat is part of his game, so long as his penalties aren't retaliatory ones he gets lured into, I'm good with him taking penalties.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I disagree that he is a winner. That implies you have won and won often. He could become won.

according to Webster their A definition is
"one that is successful especially through praiseworthy ability and hard work"

Now I never took you for such a picky linguist but good to know you have that in you .. It is kind of inconsistent with not being able to spell however.
Now you can pick apart the "successful" part of the definition... I'll hang up and listen.

You may also want to look up something like "what are the characteristics of a winner" which is the context the term was used in.

Reactions: bert

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Panthers led the league in penalties last year and won the cup, being on that edge opens up the ice for the skilled guys. As a team, we drew more penalties than we took, being a greasy rat is part of his game, so long as his penalties aren't retaliatory ones he gets lured into, I'm good with him taking penalties.

By all means I hope he models his game after Marchand, just stop short of licking guys.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
By all means I hope he models his game after Marchand, just stop short of licking guys.
With guys like that .. that play on the edge.. agitating , borderline dirty at times you have to take some of the bad with the good its part of their game and sometimes they gave to be reigned in but you don't want to take that out of them. Just stay away from the selfish penalties , retaliation as an example and he does that. Initiate don't retaliate. Not all things are appreciated.. but I like the edge he plays with.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I guess you just didn't read my post. And also don't think he plays a winning brand of hockey. He's 21 he hasn't even had the opportunity to do alot of 'winning' plus he missed 2 seasons even having the ability to win. Your criteria is absurd given his age and situation.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
A 6'4 Pageau is a superstar haha. I hope so, I agree I don't see Mark Stones skill but I do see a high iq two way player. I think he's kinda like fisher but not as high an offensive ceiling.
I would like to see Ostapchuk become a consistent heavy hitter that other teams absolutely hate to play against.

I'm hoping for a version of Zack Smith in Ostapchuk.
I want more than that.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
As petty as it sounds, I'm most looking forward to what Greig will do against the Leafs the first time we play this year.

Like I can imagine him giving Captain Underpants a facewash with his glove, and most of TML doing nothing about it, but when they do, someone like Domi will just look foolish trying to get a shot in
I hope he goes after Rielly in their first meeting next season in the first period & kicks his ass.

Reactions: OD99

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He took a lot last year at bad times I found. And always from being over zealous.

But he was a rookie. Part of growing up

I guess you just didn't read my post. And also don't think he plays a winning brand of hockey. He's 21 he hasn't even had the opportunity to do alot of 'winning' plus he missed 2 seasons even having the ability to win. Your criteria is absurd given his age and situation.
My criteria for winner is winning? Could be leading his junior teams to championships or finals. The teams before junior. International tourneys. Lots of opportunity.

Yes he’s an huge competitor. Which is a winning brand of hockey.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
according to Webster their A definition is
"one that is successful especially through praiseworthy ability and hard work"

Now I never took you for such a picky linguist but good to know you have that in you .. It is kind of inconsistent with not being able to spell however.
Now you can pick apart the "successful" part of the definition... I'll hang up and listen.

You may also want to look up something like "what are the characteristics of a winner" which is the context the term was used in.
He has praiseworthy ability and works hard. Okay so he’s a winner. I was wrong. Big winner.
Has he been successful relative to his peers? I would say no.

I’m not that picky. Was just a comment lol.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He has praiseworthy ability and works hard. Okay so he’s a winner. I was wrong. Big winner.
Has he been successful relative to his peers? I would say no.

I’m not that picky. Was just a comment lol.
A picky comment lol.
Now peers how do you define that?
21 year olds graduating from the CHL or is it a narrower definition .. 21 year olds in the NHL or even narrower ?
I can tell you this if you look at CHL players in the same age group or even all hockey players in that age group .. How many get to represent their country internationally at the U20 level.. like what %. Captaining your CHL team. Playing full time in the NHL and centering a top 6 line for a period of time. Well above tweener status and looking at a long NHL career. 98+ % of all those players who played at a pretty serious level would look at Greig and say he was successful.

What does he have to do to be successful thus far in his career relative to his peers in your estimation?

Last edited:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I hope he goes after Rielly in their first meeting next season in the first period & kicks his ass.
Hopefully dekes Rielly out to end up on a break away, scores a goal, and then does a celebration that triggers Rielly.

I'm hoping for a sniper action or pretending his stick is really hot the way Ovechkin did back in the day.

Whatever causes more salt for the Leafs

Reactions: DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad