Report: No team has asked Maple Leafs for permission to speak with Carlyle

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
From the score.
Teams stumbling out of the gate have not approached the Toronto Maple Leafs in search of a new coach.

This according to Damien Cox of Sportsnet, who reports the club has not been asked for permission to speak with ex-head coach Randy Carlyle.

Continued

Anyone surprised? I know some leaf fans that thought he was a great coach might be, but to the rest of us, this just further proves what we've thought about him all these years

Last edited by a moderator:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
From the score.
Teams stumbling out of the gate have not approached the Toronto Maple Leafs in search of a new coach.

This according to Damien Cox of Sportsnet, who reports the club has not been asked for permission to speak with ex-head coach Randy Carlyle.

Continued

Anyone surprised? I know some leaf fans that thought he was a great coach might be, but to the rest of us, this just further proves what we've thought about him all these years

Who have these stumbling Teams talked to?

Last edited:

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Far too early to make a reasonably informed opinion on a team. Historically speaking, I think coaching changes also happen a little later into the season. Pittsburgh, alongside Anaheim could be possible Carlyle destinations. Funny how the only coach in what feels like a decade to get a job after their stint with the Leafs is Paul Maurice.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Say Columbus fires their current coach and hires Carlyle, would they have to give us a draft pick still? This whole new thing of teams having to give up a pick even if the coach was fired by that team is confusing to me and doesn't make much sense, but getting a 3rd round pick for Carlyle would be nice.

Duckrider

Oct 6, 2015
Say Columbus fires their current coach and hires Carlyle, would they have to give us a draft pick still? This whole new thing of teams having to give up a pick even if the coach was fired by that team is confusing to me and doesn't make much sense, but getting a 3rd round pick for Carlyle would be nice.

Putting it like that almost makes me think that the extension Carlyle got was for this purpose and not for the sake of resigning him per say.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
From the score.

Continued

I don't think a team would want to advertise to their existing coach that they are interviewing new candidates & I highly doubt the Leafs would inform the media if teams have asked permission.

Yes they would.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Nobody is going to be replacing their coach 6 games in. But nobody will be replacing their coach with Randy Carlyle in the future. This is because he is no longer a competitive coach in the NHL. This is a guy who was fired after 24GP sporting a 0.375 win rate, and his successor put up .534 immediately, then .688, .707 and .665 in the next 3 seasons.

When Carlyle came to Toronto, he replaced Ron Wilson, who had a .508, and put up... .494.

The guy consistently is replaced by coaches that win more, and loses more when he replaces a coach. The rest of the league is quickly moving away from systems and philosophies like his. High event rate, poor shot differential hockey just isn't winning games, and guys that adapt (like the Hunters) will continue to thrive, while the dinosaurs that refuse to change won't get jobs in hockey, again.

It's OK, though, don't feel too sorry for him: he's earning a couple million a year to fish.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
What a piss poor title....

San Jose asked for permission this summer this is a fact.

No team after 6 games is looking to replace their coach, as well that no teams look for coaches until they fire or are about to fire their coach.

I say Carlyle will get a job...his reputation only improved when the Leafs went in the toilet after he was fired.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Not surprised in the least.

The problems that plagued his ducks team (which got him fired there) followed him to the Leafs.

His style is just outdated. He will have to learn to adapt and innovate his strategy - this what good coaches like Babcock do in order to stay relevant.

Until he is prepared to change his ways I doubt he gets a job anytime soon - other than perhaps with Boston if they fire their coach.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Most teams have played around 6 games. A little early for this isn't it?

Considering that Philadelphia fired Laviolette after three games - nope, I'd say everyone is lookin' good and sittin' pretty at this point :laugh:

realistically though,I honestly think it depends on a few things

A: your division
B: your status.

like - example. if this was Winnipeg or Chicago (ignore their dynasty-ness). being in their division and struggling - you don't have until US thanksgiving, because you could be screwed already. get a new coach - hope it starts relatively quick.

B: if you are a team like Columbus who had the benefit of the doubt (500 man games lost last season), and should be right up there - and you're losing fans - waiting does you no good either. (esp. when starting slow seems to be Todd Richard's m.o.). apparently it's v. rare to start 0-6. (which is weird because I swear the Leafs did it like a few years ago).

anyway.

if anyone asks for Carlyle we have the right to ask for a third round pick. which i would do - and give that pick to Detroit, and we can wait on another third rounder to give to NJ.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Nobody is going to be replacing their coach 6 games in. But nobody will be replacing their coach with Randy Carlyle in the future. This is because he is no longer a competitive coach in the NHL. This is a guy who was fired after 24GP sporting a 0.375 win rate, and his successor put up .534 immediately, then .688, .707 and .665 in the next 3 seasons.

When Carlyle came to Toronto, he replaced Ron Wilson, who had a .508, and put up... .494.

The guy consistently is replaced by coaches that win more, and loses more when he replaces a coach. The rest of the league is quickly moving away from systems and philosophies like his. High event rate, poor shot differential hockey just isn't winning games, and guys that adapt (like the Hunters) will continue to thrive, while the dinosaurs that refuse to change won't get jobs in hockey, again.

It's OK, though, don't feel too sorry for him: he's earning a couple million a year to fish.

I was thinking about this today, and I realized this. His system just won't fly today. Even with a perfect team, he's done. The systems many teams use today far outdo, anything he could. I even think Horachek was better, but the team never had his respect.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'm calling BS on this. Who is Cox's source? Lou L? Not a chance. Shanahan? Also unlikely. Carlyle's agent? He doesn't need to be consulted on this.

Swayze*

Bruce-Boudreau-2.jpg

Could replace Brucilla

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006

You mean like Peter Horachek? :sarcasm:

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
It really isn't surprising. Randy clearly hasn't kept up with the times as a coach. He employed one of the worst systems I have seen for this club.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
Of course no one has. He's terrible! I do hope someone makes the mistake of hiring him though. Free pick for us and he'll ruin some team, so hopefully they're in the East.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
What a piss poor title....

San Jose asked for permission this summer this is a fact.

No team after 6 games is looking to replace their coach, as well that no teams look for coaches until they fire or are about to fire their coach.

I say Carlyle will get a job...his reputation only improved when the Leafs went in the toilet after he was fired.

Horachek had a 39.4% the year before, he was just as bad as Carlyle.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
The Ducks certainly know who to play the games with. Carlyle is a proven stanley cup winner who knows the tough game. He will get his players to do whatever he wants and play them over their limits. That won the stanley cup. We almost did it with carlyle too.... couple years ago we went into the playoffs with Randy. That's the only time we even made it to the playoffs. During these horrible 11 years. We almost beat the boston bruins then, in game 7. We also had the toughest team in the league. Fought the most and hit the most. And look what happened. We were in the playoffs. I know hockey.

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
The Ducks certainly know who to play the games with. Carlyle is a proven stanley cup winner who knows the tough game. He will get his players to do whatever he wants and play them over their limits. That won the stanley cup. We almost did it with carlyle too.... couple years ago we went into the playoffs with Randy. That's the only time we even made it to the playoffs. During these horrible 11 years. We almost beat the boston bruins then, in game 7. We also had the toughest team in the league. Fought the most and hit the most. And look what happened. We were in the playoffs. I know hockey.

Can't quite tell if this is sarcasm or not...:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad