Confirmed with Link: Reilly Smith (PIT) to NYR for a 2nd rounder + 5th

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Immediate ones I can think of were going 4-1 in playoff OT and the only significant injury in the forward group being Chytil.

Thats pretty much a theme for most teams that make a deep run though.

Some of it is teams being good, but no one overcomes a big long term injury to a key player unless you're the 2001 Avalanche who would have face f***ed the Devils in 5 instead of beating them in a dramatic 7.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
People continue to dramatically overvalue picks on here.
Yes and no. The biggest deadline capital is draft picks. To fill holes without getting a major player, that's going to cost you between 2nds and 4ths, maybe combinations.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
it's like you didn't read what i wrote at all.

lindgren bouncing back and playing to historic lindgren standards still doesn't solve the issue that he's not good enough to play with fox and essentially mitigates the advantage created by our finest skater.

if he's still on this team, only a change of deployment solves that issue. I'm not sure what you've ever seen from this team to believe that's a possibility, but I would bet against it. Heavily.
I can read perfectly well thank you. What would you like me to do? I agreed with most of what you said. I said there is still a possibility that they can switch up the D pairings and move Lindgren down just like they did with Trouba last year which nobody thought was going to happen either. I don't know what you want me to tell you. This team is still going to be a 100+ point team if that doesn't happen.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
it's like you didn't read what i wrote at all.

lindgren bouncing back and playing to historic lindgren standards still doesn't solve the issue that he's not good enough to play with fox and essentially mitigates the advantage created by our finest skater.

if he's still on this team, only a change of deployment solves that issue. I'm not sure what you've ever seen from this team to believe that's a possibility, but I would bet against it. Heavily.
Didn't Fox win a Norris playing with this same guy?

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
They needed to change the D and didnt. We will probably still be a 100 point team with Igor but the defense isnt winning 4 rounds. Idk how many times we need to see them fail. Nemeth/Braun->Mikkola->Gustafsson->Li'l Zacky. Arranging deck chairs on a ship that's sprung a leak.
The off season literally just started, I'm not sure why everyone is acting like THIS is it, no further changes/trades/signings/upgrading before the regular season starts in 3.5 months... and didn't Mikkola JUST win a Cup? Hahahaha. IF they go into the reg season exactly like this, there's always the TDL for rentals. I have no doubt they will easily make the playoffs. Laf will be even better, FOX hopefully won't be hobbled and maybe a couple of other players take steps as well. Not sure why you are writing off Jones either. If he can contribute that would be great. We have time to find out.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
The off season literally just started, I'm not sure why everyone is acting like THIS is it, no further changes/trades/signings/upgrading before the regular season starts in 3.5 months... and didn't Mikkola JUST win a Cup? Hahahaha. IF they go into the reg season exactly like this, there's always the TDL for rentals. I have no doubt they will easily make the playoffs. Laf will be even better, FOX hopefully won't be hobbled and maybe a couple of other players take steps as well. Not sure why you are writing off Jones either. If he can contribute that would be great. We have time to find out.

Yay. More trade deadline rentals. can't wait lol

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Thats pretty much a theme for most teams that make a deep run though.

Some of it is teams being good, but no one overcomes a big long term injury to a key player unless you're the 2001 Avalanche who would have face f***ed the Devils in 5 instead of beating them in a dramatic 7.
Yeah winning games in OT and staying healthy are not “breaks”. Breaks are sweeping Washington because Ovi missed the series with diarrhea or bouncing Carolina because Aho and Slavin broke each other’s hands playing patty cake.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Immediate ones I can think of were going 4-1 in playoff OT and the only significant injury in the forward group being Chytil.
Winning OT games is not "getting a break," it's finding a way to win. They did that all f***ing year.
Fox playing injured was worse than any two of our forwards getting hurt. Broken ankle Trouba unable to move made him even worse than usual, Lindgren with broken ribs.. Most of the breaks they got seem to be bones.
Everyone says our defense is why we lost, and three of the top four were injured...

Yay. More trade deadline rentals. can't wait lol
Not my style, but it's the "win now" "our window is closing" crowd that's upset, no?
Looking at the UFA contracts with term and high AAVs, I'd even actually prefer rentals in this case. This case being the UFA classes next off season and the year after, as well as our own RFA's needing raises in 2025...

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
People continue to dramatically overvalue picks on here.
I'll push back on this.

Draft picks are overvalued if burning through them actually amounts to something. I'm sure Vegas doesn't regret throwing picks away like crazy since they won the cup, but they're in for a brutal rebuild somewhere down the line because of it.

I'm not as pessimistic as others here about the team next season, but we are toeing a dangerous line with how many draft picks Drury's thrown away with nothing to show for it. 10 years ago Glen Sather was spending draft picks on rentals like a mad man and we made two ECF and one cup final, but then we committed dollars and term to the wrong guys and had an empty prospect pool because of the lack of picks.

The prospect pool isn't as dire as it was in 2015, but again, a dangerous game he's playing.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
i dont know how anyone can truly complain at this....very useful player for 3.75

the 2nd rounder is in 2027......we can recoup that 2nd at any point down the line, everyone needs to relax lol
Ironically we may be able to get a 2nd in a trade deadline rental trade for him if it doesn't work out.

Reactions: bhamill

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Winning OT games is not "getting a break," it's finding a way to win. They did that all f***ing year.
Fox playing injured was worse than any two of our forwards getting hurt. Broken ankle Trouba unable to move made him even worse than usual, Lindgren with broken ribs.. Most of the breaks they got seem to be bones.
Everyone says our defense is why we lost, and three of the top four were injured...

Not my style, but it's the "win now" "our window is closing" crowd that's upset, no?
Looking at the UFA contracts with term and high AAVs, I'd even actually prefer rentals in this case. This case being the UFA classes next off season and the year after, as well as our own RFA's needing raises in 2025...

I think the Panarin/Trouba window is close to shut barring luck. I'm optimistic about the Lafreniere/Fox window. Ive always been an agressive deadline guy (just ask @mas0764 ) but this is unstainable. At a certain point we need to realize the current core is a bunch of guys who dont raise their game in the playoffs.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Rangers problem is that they are letting the inmates run the asylum. And as soon as Drury wants to do something based strictly on trouba and Goodrow's poor performance, we get this.
I think Fox playing with Lindgren has very little to do, if anything, what with whatever "this" is. I also think shit here takes on a life of its own and as soon as a few vocal posters start throwing charts around and keep repeating the same shit over and over again you get the mob mentality. Lindgren isn't as bad as a lot of people here want you to think , because charts. I saw a pretty popular twitter guy throw out a score of 84 (I'm assuming out of 100) for Eric Freaking Guftasson. Really? Not to mention, the guy aint even signed and people are losing their minds. You've now had three coaches pair the same guys together for the most part. It can't all be just what the players want.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I think Fox playing with Lindgren has very little to do, if anything, what with whatever "this" is. I also think shit here takes on a life of its own and as soon as a few vocal posters start throwing charts around and keep repeating the same shit over and over again you get the mob mentality. Lindgren isn't as bad as a lot of people here want you to think , because charts. I saw a pretty popular twitter guy throw out a score of 84 (I'm assuming out of 100) for Eric Freaking Guftasson. Really? Not to mention, the guy aint even signed and people are losing their minds. You've now had three coaches pair the same guys together for the most part. It can't all be just what the players want.
this is the Reilly Smith thread so i'm gonna splinter this into its own - it's an interesting topic imo

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Im not a chart guy. Lindgren isnt a top 4D. Nor is Gustafsson. We need to start playing players in roles that complement their ability and skillset, not because they are friends who like playing together and are "comfortable". Talking to Mika/Kreider and Lindgren/Fox here. Also Miller/Trouba but that may be mercifully over after a year and half of horrific play by the 2 of them together.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Im not a chart guy. Lindgren isnt a top 4D. Nor is Gustafsson. We need to start playing players in roles that complement their ability and skillset, not because they are friends who like playing together and are "comfortable". Talking to Mika/Kreider and Lindgren/Fox here. Also Miller/Trouba but that may be mercifully over after a year and half of horrific play by the 2 of them together.
I'm for all of that. I'm just not gonna freak out if it doesn't happen by July 3rd. But if you think these guys are totally calling the shots, why would Fox willingly play with a guy that's keeping him from being the best he can be, costing him hardware and real dollars on his next contract? Why would Mika or Kreider willingly sabotage their seasons just to play with their bestie? I could maybe buy there are no better options, especially on D but it doesn't mean it's a country club or the inmates are running the asylum, i.e. more HF talking points.

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
I think the Panarin/Trouba window is close to shut barring luck. I'm optimistic about the Lafreniere/Fox window. Ive always been an agressive deadline guy (just ask @mas0764 ) but this is unstainable. At a certain point we need to realize the current core is a bunch of guys who dont raise their game in the playoffs.
Kreider SOMETIMES does. Zibs has at times. But I think of it as an extended window transitioning from the 93, 20, 10 core to the Laf, Fox core.
If we get no rentals this year I’d be fine with it. Hopefully there are further cheap or reasonable improvements this year but I get standing pat-ish looking at the UFA possibilities coming up and considering the raises need for our next core. What I don’t need is some of the terms and AAVs we’ve seen handed out the last two days. Just my tact on it.

Reactions: McRanger92

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
This team will have better talent and be deeper than last year. Every little upgrade helps. Fox and Trouba were playing on 1 leg in the playoffs. I still feel that Lindgren is better defensively than he showed. His previous 3 years were markedly better. Trouba was fine playing 3rd line minutes before the injury. I think Jones will run with his opportunity as well. Carolina and Florida will be good but realistically not as good as last year. I don't share the negativity around here. I think they will have another very good year. Whether they will win a cup next year is dependent on a number of factors but as always the odds are against any one team winning it all. I don't throw in the towel on July 2nd though. You can if you want.
They won the pres trophy with boninno/wheeler/ pitlik/brod playing large portions of the season.
A shesty that was inconsistent for about a month and a half, chytil being injured after 10 genes

Trouba/kakko/fox/lindgren also missed a portion of the season due to injury.

I don’t think they win pres trophy again, it’s possible, but they are still a top 3 team in the east regardless……

This team they are icing is deeper.
All the young kids should have a better season. They are a year older and more experienced.

A lot will depend on how the kids coming up to grab positions pan out.
Say Panarin s point dip, but zibbys increase????

Kreider is a consistent offensive player.
Trochek should be good for 70 pt + give or take….
Cuylle no longer a rookie. I don’t know why some have him on 4th line. He should be getting more ice/opportunity

Performance wise Zibby/kids are X-factors. Does Laf finally get cemented on the PP??
Does smith work well with Zibby Kreider?
Can chytil play more then a 1/4 of a season?
Does Kakko have a breakout year on offense?

Ultimately, avoiding long term injuries to key guys always unforeseen.
This squad is deeper then last years team. They are another year playoff battle tested.
Carrick= Goodrow and smith an upgrade on Roslovic in every way except speed.
Depending on how they finish, they will tinker again at the TDL as well……….
The big moves everyone are waiting for likely come at the end of next year + following year.
Once laf /miller/shesty are all locked in, the picture of what $$ they’ll have left and what FA s/trade targets are available.
Perrault will likely enter the year Panarin exits.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Kreider SOMETIMES does. Zibs has at times. But I think of it as an extended window transitioning from the 93, 20, 10 core to the Laf, Fox core.
If we get no rentals this year I’d be fine with it. Hopefully there are further cheap or reasonable improvements this year but I get standing pat-ish looking at the UFA possibilities coming up and considering the raises need for our next core. What I don’t need is some of the terms and AAVs we’ve seen handed out the last two days. Just my tact on it.
Whole heartedly agree.
No problem with swing trades or moving picks, not for more rentals.
It’s necessary sometimes to cover for an unforeseen injury in the short term, but they need to acquire players who will be part of the team beyond just TDL/playoffs.
Predators resigning Novak sucked for us. That was our young 50pt chytil replacement

Reactions: bhamill

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
Whole heartedly agree.
No problem with swing trades or moving picks, not for more rentals.
It’s necessary sometimes to cover for an unforeseen injury in the short term, but they need to acquire players who will be part of the team beyond just TDL/playoffs.
Predators resigning Novak sucked for us. That was our young 50pt chytil replacement
Maybe they work out a trade wit OTT for Pinto.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
As of the deadline compared to today:
Smith is an upgrade on Roslo (and the injured Wheeler that he replaced).
Chytil at 100% is an upgrade on Wennberg (2x5 LOL).
Carrick/Brodz/Edstrom is a fine side-grade on Goodie.
Jones is a side-grade on Gus, but with upside.

By keeping pace with "What we iced last year," it shows that we could arguably compete for a President's Trophy even with a couple bad injuries and another mid-season Igor slump. We won the regular season with Bonino as the 3C for 40 games and disgruntled fans the whole way.

Boston is wonky. NYI is wonky. CAR lost some guys and made a couple good moves. NJD improved a lot.

Status quo means that we are a good team even with injuries and underperformance. That's the math on day 1 of the offseason. We can still do something to improve the D, too. I'm optimistic.

Thanks for the fair assessment. Love you too, bud. :naughty:

Don't get me wrong I don't hate our group by any means. But if the goal is to win the Cup, not enough was done here. I realize a lot of that probably was because Drury couldn't make Trouba's contract disappear but this simply isn't a cup winning roster.

Might have to wait until the deadline to see where they're at. But as of right now? Not a great July 1.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
This is what Drury has traded away since becoming GM. I only included the trades where picks were involved, which was most of them anyway. The rest were very minor deals.

2nd (Reilly Smith)
5th (Reilly Smith)
4th (Trade up for Boilard)
7th (Trade up for Boilard)
4th (Roslovic)
4th (Ruhwedel)
2nd (Wennberg)
4th (Wennberg)
3rd (Trade up for Fortescue)
7th (Trade up for Fortescue)
Grubbe (Trade for a 5th to pick Larsson)
2nd (Kane)
3rd (Kane)
4th (Kane)
Kravtsov (Traded for a 2026 7th and Will Lockwood)
Gauthier (Motte)
7th (Motte)
1st (Tarasenko and Mikkola)
3rd (Tarasenko and Mikkola)
Blais (Tarasenko and Mikkola)
Skinner (Tarasenko and Mikkola)
Reaves (Traded for a 2025 5th)
Lundkvist (Traded for a 1st and 4th, both of which we wasted on rentals)
2nd (Dumping Nemeth, who Drury signed as a UFA the year before)
2nd (Dumping Nemeth)
Georgiev (Got back two 3rds and a 5th)
4th (Motte)
Barron (Copp)
1st (Copp)
2nd (Copp)
5th (Copp)
3rd (Braun)
4th (Vatrano)
3rd (Reaves)
3rd (Trade up for Korczak)
6th (Trade up for Korczak)
Buchnevich (Traded for Blais and a 2nd)
Howden (Nick DeSimone and a 4th that became Laba)
7th (Goodrow's rights)

To sum that up, we traded away:

1st round picks: 2
2nd round picks: 6
3rd round picks: 6
4th round picks: 7
5th round picks: 2
6th round picks: 1
7th round picks: 4
Prospects/players: Grubbe, Kravtsov, Gauthier, Blais, Skinner, Lundkvist, Georgiev, Barron, Buchnevich, Howden

This is what we currently have in the organization as a result of all those trades:

Reilly Smith
4th (Boilard)
3rd (Fortescue)
5th (Larsson)
7th (2026)
5th (2025)
3rd (McConnell-Barker)
5th (Barbashev)
6th (Roobroeck)
3rd (Korczak)
4th (Laba)

If Smith has a good year, we won't be able to afford him. If he has a poor year, we won't want him. So, either way, it seems a foregone conclusion that he won't be on the team in 2025-26.

Barbashev might get an AHL contract if he earns one in development camp. The 2025 5th and 2026 7th are likely to be traded for rentals, given Drury's track record, but even if not, they aren't likely to produce NHL players.

For the rest, there are varying measures of hope, but the sum total is insignificant compared to what we gave up.

This isn't a sustainable strategy. Drury has pissed away assets and has nothing to show for it. We literally have 1 NHL player today as a result of all his moves, and that player won't be around for long.

Drury's drafting looks good on paper, but of the players he has drafted, we have a sum total of 3 NHL games (Othmann). Granted, it is early yet, but the 2020 draft (Gorton's last) has produced 606 games and counting. The team's success has been built on the back of Gorton's efforts. The only player Drury deserves credit for is Trocheck, but at best, that only makes up for his screw up with Buchnevich.

Drury hired Gallant and fired him 2 years later. He let Knoblauch get away. What exactly has he done to build this team? How does he deserve credit for the team's recent success?
I appreciate the effort in the post. I highlighted the part that is the most important. Drury took over end of 2021. It's now the beginning of year four. There are some decent draft picks, now we see if they're any good because the organization is going to need them this year.

Otherwise the rest is a "yeah, but...."

Kendo

Jun 16, 2006
The Hamburger Train.
Don't get me wrong I don't hate our group by any means. But if the goal is to win the Cup, not enough was done here. I realize a lot of that probably was because Drury couldn't make Trouba's contract disappear but this simply isn't a cup winning roster.

Might have to wait until the deadline to see where they're at. But as of right now? Not a great July 1.
This is a top 4 roster without even moving Trouba. With Smith and a healthy Chytil, and we're right there with last year's team. If Chytil gets injured again, we're in trouble again. But that being "in trouble" got us how many wins anyway??? We've done enough to tread water even if the worst happens with Chytil yet again.

With one good move, we're the favorite in the East. Something wild like Trouba+ for Zegras and we're heavy faves. We just need a 2nd option for 3C in case Fil falters or gets injured (or any one of our C, tbh), and we won't necessarily have a particular "hole."

We are absolutely one of the "almost there" teams. We have some contracts to pay real soon, but for this season alone, we have every right to think we can get a little further than last time.

I'm not only happy with the Smith trade, I'm open to trading a small piece for a 1-yr guy a year from now as well. We just need to make sure that we don't f*** up the post-Bread window and sign a bad deal right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad