Roster Building Thread - Part XI (Off-season edition)

Filip Chytil

Mar 3, 2014
Seriously though...

There has to be something coming before camp.... Right?

I can't see them running back a worse team then last year. Not when they got so close.

Miller-Fox
Lindgren-Schneider
Jones-Trouba

With basically zero depth.

This does not excite me.

They're running it back and everyone will tune in for all 82 games as usual.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Trade or waive Trouba somehow this summer. Trade Kakko, Lindgren, Sykora and a 1st for one year of Marner (who you can trade next offseason). Sign Kylington and Boqvist (or veteran RD) for your D at under 1.75 Million AAV each.

Kreider-Zibanejad-Marner
Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere
Cuylle-Chytil-Smith
Vesey-Carrick-Rempe

Kylington-Fox
Miller-Schneider
Jones-Boqvist/Veteran RD

Shesterkin
Quick

Brodzinski and Edstrom as extras

About 1.8 million in cap space to start the season.

This Trouba situation has really thrown a wrench into this offseason. Surely Drury had that cap space ear marked for a couple decent UFA’s who have now signed elsewhere.
no

Reactions: RagFinMet

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Even if Lindgren and Trouba are staying, he has to get another NHL dman, the depth in Hartford ain’t it to step in for an injured player.
They will likely sign another journeyman mercenary for 7th D duties before camp starts. It’s jones role to step into, but you need to have a little competition and depth for the last spot on D. It’s healthy.

Our 4th line is pretty much set in stone at this point.
Edstrom-Carrick-vesey/Rempe
Shesty/quick remain the tandem.

Panarin-Tro-Laffy likely remains a thing as well unless they run extremely cold.
Everything else of the team is up for debate how it’s going to line up.

Edstrom/Jones/Berard/Othmann all need to have good offseason/solid camps because these kids are going to get a shot to prove that they belong in the nhl permanently.

Do they start smith or kakko with wonder twins?
Is chytil really healthy and going to stay that way?
Cuylle/Laf should take another step fwd in their development.
Will it still be fox/lindy? Or miller/lindy?

There should be healthy competition for the empty spots among the ranks.
My X-factor coming out of camp that prob no one agrees with is Jaro Chmelar….
It wouldn’t hurt for him to be in HTD for a full year by any means, but he’s 6’5 220 give or take. Plays a responsible 2-way game, good skater, good hands.
I think he’s going to turn some coaches heads in camp. He should be finally healed/rested from his prior injury.
Won’t surprise me in the least to see him win a bottom 6 role. Especially if they deal Kakko

Reactions: leetch99

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
It doesn’t happen
It absolutely does

Buddy, YOU are the one drawing the 1-to-1 parallel between the situations. I'm saying organizations have survived things much worse than a less-than-amicable split from a player. That's the last reply I'm going to give you on this topic because I literally can't make it any more clear than that.
You brought it up to compare it

You did.

I did not bring it up so stop with the BS

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
We’re 4 days into the offseason. Given they’ve missed out on most free agents at this point, I imagine they’re waiting to try and work this out with a trade partner that works for both sides.
What trade?

He won't go anywhere out of NYC

You're not going to get anything to help your team by trading him.

There's no one left to sign with any cap savings

The other thing is nyr doesn't have assets to trade for any sort of impact player if they unload trouba

So what's the point?

Last edited:
Reactions: EdJovanovski

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Bring in Kubalik, Sprong, Barbanov, Zadina, Kylington and Boqvist in on 1 year $1M (can be buried) deals. Let them battle it out with Othmann, Berard, Edstrom, Vesey, Carrick, Brodz, Mancini, Jones, Scanlin and Rempe.

Reactions: pld459666

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
If Trouba was a goner, Drury should have started laying down that ground work BEFORE the end of the Finals.

Asking him for his list 3/5/7 days before 07/01/24 was a mistake.
I don't see how it would have changed anything. Trouba would have been under no obligation to provide the list a month ago. And if he did, it still wouldn't change the dynamic where he's apparently making it known he won't go anywhere else, effectively scaring other teams away from trading for him. For whatever it's worth, Arthur Staple reported that's what happened, that Trouba was asked for the list last week and refused to submit it until Monday morning, which was the deadline.

IMO the reporting has been off on this since the beginning. Brooks says he's close to being traded and Friedman even says the same thing on TV during the draft. Then it falls apart, and we hear that things are acrimonious, Trouba is shocked and hurt. And then Brooks issues a rare acknowledgement that what he had originally was wrong, that the trade wasn't about to happen and Trouba didn't try to kill it, and on top of that, all the discussion have been professional and cordials.

The only thing that seems to be without question is that Trouba isn't interested in being traded this year with his wife still finishing the residency and the new kid. Everything beyond that, it's a f***ing mystery what actually happened.

There's plenty of things one can criticize Drury for, but the guy isn't an idiot. That getting rid of Trouba was going to be an adventure was obvious even to a regular guy like me; I got into a lengthy argument about it the night before free agency opened. At that time I laid out basically this exact situation, where Trouba could just tell everyone he didn't want to move, and then no one would take him. This isn't me tooting my own horn, I'm just bringing it up to say that if I could see this situation unfolding, I'm sure the Rangers could, too, and I didn't even know about the residency being delayed or whatever that is.

My guess is, the reality is that the Rangers had some exploratory talks with Detroit and whoever else, made progress, broached the subject with Trouba knowing he might bristle at it, he did, and they simply backed off. And the rest of it is just speculation from angry fans who want the guy gone (I want him gone, too, for what it's worth).

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Trouba is not obligated to give his list any time before 7/1 and, considering he doesn’t want to go anywhere, wouldn’t have.

I understand that, but at least then it's not a shocker and the two parties can work together either to get something done and not feel like it's being forced down the guys throat or not and the level of crap thats been in the papers about the man and his wife I don't think would have been so loud and personal.

I don't see how it would have changed anything. Trouba would have been under no obligation to provide the list a month ago. And if he did, it still wouldn't change the dynamic where he's apparently making it known he won't go anywhere else, effectively scaring other teams away from trading for him. For whatever it's worth, Arthur Staple reported that's what happened, that Trouba was asked for the list last week and refused to submit it until Monday morning, which was the deadline.

IMO the reporting has been off on this since the beginning. Brooks says he's close to being traded and Friedman even says the same thing on TV during the draft. Then it falls apart, and we here that things are acrimonious, Trouba is shocked and hurt. And then Brooks issues a rare acknowledgement that what he had originally was wrong, that the trade wasn't about to happen and Trouba didn't try to kill it, and on top of that, all the discussion have been professional and cordial.

The only thing that seems to be without question is that Trouba isn't interested in being traded this year with his wife still finishing the residency and the new kid. Everything beyond that, it's a f***ing mystery what actually happened.

There's plenty of things one can criticize Drury for, but the guy isn't an idiot. That getting rid of Trouba was going to be an adventure was obvious even to a regular guy like me; I got into a lengthy argument about it the night before free agency opened. At that time I laid out basically this exact situation, where Trouba could just tell everyone he didn't want to move, and then no one would take him. This isn't me tooting my own horn, I'm just bringing it up to say that if I could see this situation unfolding, I'm sure the Rangers could, too, and I didn't even know about the residency being delayed or whatever that is.

My guess is, the reality is that the Rangers had some exploratory talks with Detroit and whoever else, made progress, broached the subject with Trouba knowing he might bristle at it, he did, and they simply backed off. And the rest of it is just speculation from angry fans who want the guy gone (I want him gone, too, for what it's worth).

I understand that, but at least then it's not a shocker and the two parties can work together either to get something done and not feel like it's being forced down the guys throat or not and the level of crap thats been in the papers about the man and his wife I don't think would have been so loud and personal.

Graves97

Jan 16, 2014
What trade?

He won't go anywhere out of NYC

You're not going to get anything to help your team by trading him.

There's no one left to sign with any cap savings

The other doesn't have assets to trade for any sort of impact player if they unload trouba

So what's the point?
Well then we’re back at my original point and it’s time to bury him in HFD and dare him not to report. No reason to keep bringing out a below replacement level player who consistently hurts the team.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Last seasons opening night roster:

Ck-Mika-KK
Panarin-Chytil-Laf
Cuylle-Tro-Wheeler
Goodrow-Bonino-Pitlick

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Tuba
Gus-Schneider

what we appear to be rolling into 24-25 with certainly isn't significantly worse than that, and even if it a repeat President's Trophy is incredibly unlikely. You can't rely on expected youth improvement forever, and we can't spending draft capital at every TDL (because we are almost out), but as a start point it could be a lot worse.
The question is whether it can be improved on enough in season, or are we just treading water until things like Trouba and Igor are resolved

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Last seasons opening night roster:

Ck-Mika-KK
Panarin-Chytil-Laf
Cuylle-Tro-Wheeler
Goodrow-Bonino-Pitlick

Lindgren-Fox
Miller-Tuba
Gus-Schneider

what we appear to be rolling into 24-25 with certainly isn't significantly worse than that, and even if it a repeat President's Trophy is incredibly unlikely. You can't rely on expected youth improvement forever, and we can't spending draft capital at every TDL (because we are almost out), but as a start point it could be a lot worse.
The question is whether it can be improved on enough in season, or are we just treading water until things like Trouba and Igor are resolved

There is little to no difference with last years roster to this years roster besides the forwards. It’s the defense that needs to be changed. I do see this as the team for the next two years, we are locked in to this core sadly.

Reactions: majordomo

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
You can't rely on expected youth improvement forever, and we can't spending draft capital at every TDL (because we are almost out), but as a start point it could be a lot worse.
We supposedly have all these prospects that people keep clamoring for so why not? We need some of them to come up and play well and continue to improve, If not then how are you supposed to build a team?

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Bring in Kubalik, Sprong, Barbanov, Zadina, Kylington and Boqvist in on 1 year $1M (can be buried) deals. Let them battle it out with Othmann, Berard, Edstrom, Vesey, Carrick, Brodz, Mancini, Jones, Scanlin and Rempe.
Mahura to Seattle one year for peanuts.

Sprong and Vrana didn't mesh with Lavy so both are out.

They need bodies now badly. They literally don't have any depth as of today. I still think there's a trade to be made or they're waiting on Klingberg who is rehabbing from the same surgery Kane had.

Edstrom, Berard, Sykora are all PKers. Rempe wants to try it out in preseason.

MrAlmost

Beer league hero.
Jun 3, 2010
Panarin-Tro-Laf
Kreider-Z-Smith
Cuylle-Chytil-Kakko
Edstrom-Carrick-Vesey/Rempe

Miller-Fox
Lindgren-Schneider
Jones-Trouba

That's not the abomination people are making it out to be. It's a better forward group and deeper than we went into last season with. The D hasn't changed, let's just hope they pair them properly.

I'd still like to see a splash. Lindgren and Kakko for what? A LD? Maybe Zegras? That would be fun. Colton? Theodore? Maybe someone we haven't thought of?

You're only not a winner until you are.

Reactions: mike14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad