Referee Wes McCauley has a major conflict with Keefe, shouldn't be reffing Leafs Games

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
It could be. Why would McCauley hold a grudge over that then?

Note: I agree the NHL should not be assigning McCauley to Leaf playoff games whether there is actual bias or not due to the nature of their connection.
He refs games like he has a grudge against them but you are correct that there's nothing tangible to prove any grudge.

A court case like that, with that many parties involved, is a lot of moving parts. There's a million different ways that case could have gone to lead McCauley to have a grudge against Keefe or vice versa, most notably being the cases of sexual abuse - but it's all speculation of course.

Reactions: Auston Escobar
Mar 12, 2009
The fact he was called by the defense means nothing aside that he was called by the defense. Anything beyond that is speculation

We don't know what the defense was calling him to testify on, what facts they were trying to establish,their line of questioning, literally anything
I mean, it's pretty reasonable to assume he testified in his favour given both the fairly positive outcome for Frost and fact he was called by the defense. It's pretty rare for a defense to call someone to the stand who they're not confident will say things that would favour the defense.
At least enough that we can dismiss the conflict of interest being the reason we got our asses handed to us.

I think all we've really learned is Wes's sister is probably a psycho to marry that freak and operate a business together instructing young hockey players with him at one point using a pseudonym to do so.

Reactions: seventieslord

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012

bonus: here is the amazing one-handed crosscheck incase you missed it

Great crosschecking call by McCauley

I guess Kampf has a history of violent penalties ... let's check his record.

View attachment 691581

82 games 4 penalty minutes this year. Never more than 10 in a season ever.

How does one see which ref called which penalty in any given game? Couldn't tell from Scouting the Refs

McCauley called this fiasco.

Leafs were making a comeback, so that needed Game Management. Let's call cross-checking when the player has one hand on the stick (and Tampa embellished).

The League should be reviewing the embellishment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al14 and HofT

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Leafs were making a comeback, so that needed Game Management. Let's call cross-checking when the player has one hand on the stick (and Tampa embellished).

The League should be reviewing the hysterics.
Those videos don't show which Ref called the penalties.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Chelios literally call it the worst officiating he has seen in a very long time

Last year Sean Avery and Ryan Whitney called out the refs and called it a disgrace and some of the worst officiating they have ever seen

Anyone got a link to any former player/analyst calling out the officiating in the playoffs that was heavily in favor of Toronto ?

It's pathetic, but I'm sure the hockey experts on HFboards know better than Mark Messier and Chris Chelios :laugh:
The same dirty Messier and Chelios that probably got away with much worse stuff than happens nowadays are experts on officiating?

Mar 26, 2010
The leafs getting taken to school by Tampa in game one has nothing to do with the refs. It has everything to do with the fact that the team is simply not good enough. Perhaps us Leafs fans should open our eyes and except that this team is just not good.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The leafs getting taken to school by Tampa in game one has nothing to do with the refs. It has everything to do with the fact that the team is simply not good enough. Perhaps us Leafs fans should open our eyes and except that this team is just not good.

Keep this same energy throughout the whole series. I am sure we will get swept and then we can "except" it.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The same dirty Messier and Chelios that probably got away with much worse stuff than happens nowadays are experts on officiating?
Or maybe they realize it's a much different game today and are calling BS out when they see it?

Reactions: OddyOh

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
There is 6 years of playoff proof already and then game 1 .. sample size is quite large .. this a very very very good regular season team .. and it is also a very very very poor playoff team .. da difference is very very very simple although too many people want to make excuses .. playoff hockey is 10% faster then regular season hockey and it is much much much more intense on puck battles too .. our top guys can't gear up for playoff hockey .. they are trying their best .. they just don't have it in them

Reactions: thewave

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
Maybe Kampf? Kampf did not take a penalty by any stretch of the imagination, and even if he did then so did Perry literally 1 second after.
For the last 10 years any slash on a scoring chance is usually called. Slashes anywhere besides that are let go. Its always been like that.. Not because its the leafs. I think its stupid but getting slashed on a scoring call will draw a penalty if it was tampa too. Leafs just sucked last night

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
For the last 10 years any slash on a scoring chance is usually called. Slashes anywhere besides that are let go. Its always been like that.. Not because its the leafs. I think its stupid but getting slashed on a scoring call will draw a penalty if it was tampa too. Leafs just sucked last night
......and the play was blown dead as soon as the slash occurred and the puck went to a Leaf.
Bit of a weak call but not unusual for a scoring chance

Contenderorpretender

Oct 10, 2017
The thing that might have bothered me the most in the game outside of the teams effort was also the fact that they called that goal on the ice for tampa. The only way I can assume why they called it a goal was based on the celebration. There's no way any human being would have seen the puck go in. Is that a form of response bias.

Any forceful chop with the stick on an opponent's body or opponent's stick, on or near the opponent's hands. That's the rule. Neither of those happened on that play

Reactions: Sizzle

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Slashing someone's stick on a scoring chance is illegal? Since when? The NHL would have 50x more penalties, every scoring chance players attack the opposing player's sticks.

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
He refs games like he has a grudge against them but you are correct that there's nothing tangible to prove any grudge.

A court case like that, with that many parties involved, is a lot of moving parts. There's a million different ways that case could have gone to lead McCauley to have a grudge against Keefe or vice versa, most notably being the cases of sexual abuse - but it's all speculation of course.

It seems that the whole analogy to legal matters has missed the point. If Keefe on trial in a law court, McCauley would not be appointed to be the judge due to conflict of interest. There is no need to prove whether McCauley in the actual court case is biased. It would be assumed that he may be biased, and therefore should not be appointed. Common sense would suggest that, if he were appointed as the judge, any decision on such a trial would be overturned in an appeal.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

The League should be reviewing the embellishment.
I'm not disagreeing, but are you doing that from memory or is there a place that documents who made the call?

PeE eL DuBoiS

Send ze caviar to mah chambers, peasant
Mar 31, 2022
The Leafs played like shit and fully deserved to get embarrassed last night. Maybe Wes McCauley does not have a vendetta with Keefe or the franchise.

Irrespective of these 2 points, there's still a conflict of interest here by almost any definition of the term. The NHL does not care about integrity and accountability as it relates to the DoPS and it's referees, for any team as far as I'm concerned, so I don't think complaining will matter. It's a glorified bush league and I personally haven't spent a dime in support of it since pre-COVID.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I'm not disagreeing, but are you doing that from memory or is there a place that documents who made the call?
i can see him in the video.
and I saw him call the goal on the puck he can't see.

Reactions: egd27

TorMapleJays

Jun 24, 2012
Do people care about their brothers-in-law?

Isn’t it 50/50 whether it’s someone you like or some clown you have to tolerate at family functions and listen to ramble on about the engine in his new Kia he’s so proud of?

This is the stupidest non-controversy I’ve ever seen posted on these boards.
Well, DF changed his last name to Macauley when he moved to the states so he could continue to work in hockey.

Wes’ dad was the head of officiating when he passed.

Wes also REFEREED his sons FIRST pro/collegiate(?) game of his career.

He was reprimanded for being to colourful during his penalty announcements (five minutes for FIGHTING) but overall he’s extremely well connected in the officiating world.

Remember Colin Campbell from Tillsonburg and his boy playing for Tampa few years back and how involved Colin was dispite having clear conflicts of interest.

Reactions: KMNRB

KMNRB

Jul 4, 2015
Well, DF changed his last name to Macauley when he moved to the states so he could continue to work in hockey.

He was reprimanded for being to colourful during his penalty announcements (five minutes for FIGHTING) but overall he’s extremely well connected in the officiating world.

Remember Colin Campbell from Tillsonburg and his boy playing for Tampa few years back and how involved Colin was dispite having clear conflicts of interest.

Wow I didn't know about so much history before (found a source here: Former agent Frost found using assumed name)

Now I can understand possibly why the NHL cannot rule out McCauley due to conflict of interests. Doing so would probably be equivalent to firing McCauley as there many be many players/coach who have had a history with Frost. Nonetheless, the protectiveness for questionable characters appears to be a disgusting (and prevalent) practice for the entire hockey industry.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Dude how on earth was that a slash? :laugh:

Goose

Apr 18, 2006

Isn't hockey one big old boy's club? A brother-in-law as a connection seems shockingly mundane.

I don't remember or care anything about where Colin Campbell is from or whose aunt's best friend's wedding he attended and was spotted talking to Sheldon Keefe who previously had dinner with a business banker who was the son of Lee Harvey Oswald who was a patsy for the people who faked the moon landing whose descendants operate a cabal out of a Lethbridge pizza shop that run the humanoid robot we know as Gary Bettman in order to commercialize the league to fund the Church of Scientology in preparation for the return of Xenu.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad