Proposal: Red Wings offer-sheets Pettersson for 13 million

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
What would happen?

Same styled as Kotkaniemi deal. 1-year, 13M.
Could be pretty disastrous for Detroit. Risks of injury to Petterson, not making the playoffs, giving up multiple unprotected firsts etc etc etc.

Stevie Y is a pretty savvy, risk-averse manager. He not like some fifteen-year-old playing video games in his Mom's basement.

There's absolutely no chance he does anything as stupid as that.

Man, there's a lot of competition for the most stupid proposal.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I wasnt suggesting offersheeting Hughes, but they have to sign him. Vancouver has 10.6million of space left right now(on cap friendly) so an 8.1M contract only leaves them 2.5M for Hughes which probably isnt close enough.
Dig deeper into capfriendly.

Ferland is still counting against their cap. As are 3 other players because capfriendly shows vs couverture with 24 players in addition to Ferland to arrive at their $70 mill against the cap.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I did use the Jfresh team roster builder on their site, did put Seider there as a bit better version they expect. After that Red Wings were 81-point team.

When adding Pettersson (after offersheet, losing only future picks), they got 9 points more being 90-point team. Still maybe not a playoff team, but my idea was clear, not a near of draft lottery, picks will be at 15th overall range.

Idiots won't understand or refuse undestanding the team state.
What if Petterson breaks his leg?

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I don't know why anyone would possibly think that Pettersson would forego free agency by signing an extension at less than his QO.

If he were signed to a one-year $13-million contract, he's exactly the guy who would say, "Great, give me another $13-million or I'll walk!" There's absolutely no downside for him to test the market if he isn't given a QO.

It would be absurd for Detroit to rent him for one year at that price, surrendering four unprotected firsts along the way.

This proposal is nutso!

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
4x 1sts?

I'm pretty sure Vancouver takes that and laughs as they grab one of Bedard/Wright.

Seems Milbury-esque.

Canucks are still too good team to be anywhere near lottery win.

Detroit's picks, my guy.
@Henkka. It seems that you misunderstood how compensation picks work.

The four unprotected first-round picks would go from Detroit to Vancouver, not the other way around.

Vancouver would have its' own picks, and Detroit's picks as well.

That's why the chap suggested that Vancouver would laugh and take one of Bedard/Wright -- WITH ONE OF DETROIT'S FIRST-ROUND PICKS -- and it really wouldn't matter a Tinker's damn whether Vanvouver is still too good to win the lottery.

Maybe you didn't understand that when you made this proposal.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
@Henkka. It seems that you misunderstood how compensation picks work.

The four unprotected first-round picks would go from Detroit to Vancouver, not the other way around.

Vancouver would have its' own picks, and Detroit's picks as well.

That's why the chap suggested that Vancouver would laugh and take one of Bedard/Wright -- WITH ONE OF DETROIT'S FIRST-ROUND PICKS -- and it really wouldn't matter a Tinker's damn whether Vanvouver is still too good to win the lottery.

Maybe you didn't understand that when you made this proposal.

He already got corrected.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Detroit's picks, my guy.
With our luck those picks would drop down into the top 2 for 2 or 3 of those drafts...

upload_2021-9-12_4-25-0.png

Last edited:

Oilers In Tree

Sep 10, 2021
Edmonton
It would never work though

they wouldnt let him walk for 8.1m. Theyd sooner move Hughes I think
Re-read what you typed. They get screwed by getting forced to sign that and being forced to trade Hughes. While he’s a poverty version of Tyson Barrie who can skate quicker. he’s still valuable.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
It would never work though

they wouldnt let him walk for 8.1m. Theyd sooner move Hughes I think
EP @ 8.1 would be easily matched, with still enough cap space to bridge Hughes or shed a couple minor contracts and get him long term

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
You'd think that the teams that would benefit the most from offering 3-4 1sts, are the ones presumed to end up a top-team, only rendering the 1sts pretty much second round level picks.​

If St Louis gets rid of Tarasenko +, they should do it, not Detroit who'll be a bottom team with or without Pettersson.

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
Wait someone throught Vancouver would have to pay 4 1st to get rid of a 1c like Peterson.... thats just dumb af why would any team do that

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Cant see this Stevie is just going to keep drafting ,he really isnt in that big a rush to make a move like this

You beat me to this. Yzerman might make a move like this but now is not the right timing. He has his eyes on his young core build up and he has more plans to get more top 5 lottery picks.

Only a premature GM would make a move like this if they were in the Wings GM seat. Yzerman is one of the more patient ones

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
You beat me to this. Yzerman might make a move like this but now is not the right timing. He has his eyes on his young core build up and he has more plans to get more top 5 lottery picks.

Only a premature GM would make a move like this if they were in the Wings GM seat. Yzerman is one of the more patient ones
Great minds ...Lol.... Stevie will get his franchise center at the draft table

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Great minds ...Lol.... Stevie will get his franchise center at the draft table

Comes down to luck in the draft to some degree but if you don't play the lottery for a few years, you won't win. Is he drafting Hischier types or Crosby types? That's what timing is. So it's best for Yzerman to stay down for a bit yet. Wings fans will support him. Some will want to rise faster than they should (this offer sheet idea) but most will trust Yzerman's process for a bit yet.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Comes down to luck in the draft to some degree but if you don't play the lottery for a few years, you won't win. Is he drafting Hischier types or Crosby types? That's what timing is. So it's best for Yzerman to stay down for a bit yet. Wings fans will support him. Some will want to rise faster than they should (this offer sheet idea) but most will trust Yzerman's process for a bit yet.
Agreed

Reactions: Habs Halifax

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Most of us Sens fans are pretty much expecting him to get the same contract as Chabot (8x8) so you would probably have to be in the high 9 million range to get Ottawa to even consider taking picks. Hes had a lot of great chemistry with his line mates, on and off the ice and Management is trying to show they are serious about getting ready to compete in the playoffs. They also have a massive amount of cap room.
$8 Fn million for 8 years? That's insane. What 21 year old 50 point winger are you guys using as a comparable contract?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
$8 Fn million for 8 years? That's insane. What 21 year old 50 point winger are you guys using as a comparable contract?
$8 mill seems like a lot but it’s something otttawa should consider. Tkachuk plays a physical game, not lucic style but a great blend of skill and physicality. He’s 21 with a late birthday to 22 this year. 8 years buys up his entire 20’s. I would pay the premium for that. Plus the Sens have cap room to do it over the next 2-3 seasons and when the cap rises it gives them more flexibility later. Not sure his style of play ages well into his 30’s so buying up his 20’s makes sense.

Is $8 mill high for right now? Yes, it is. But it’s a bet that makes sense to make. Don’t want to risk him bolting for ufa or not signing for term after a bridge deal like Reinhart for example.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
$8 mill seems like a lot but it’s something otttawa should consider. Tkachuk plays a physical game, not lucic style but a great blend of skill and physicality. He’s 21 with a late birthday to 22 this year. 8 years buys up his entire 20’s. I would pay the premium for that. Plus the Sens have cap room to do it over the next 2-3 seasons and when the cap rises it gives them more flexibility later. Not sure his style of play ages well into his 30’s so buying up his 20’s makes sense.

Is $8 mill high for right now? Yes, it is. But it’s a bet that makes sense to make. Don’t want to risk him bolting for ufa or not signing for term after a bridge deal like Reinhart for example.
I appreciate that Sens fans put their fantasy wallet where their mouths are. A lot of fan bases talk the talk about How good their player is but want to pay them half that worth.

But there has to be a comparable if you are doing an $8m contract. There needs to be a tangible way of comparing him to another player. It can't just be because of leadership, hard nosed play, difficult tom lay against, 200ft player, buzz word, buzz word etc. even if I agree with some of those descriptions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad