Re-loaded Predators drop to 0-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Team isn't very young and it takes time for new players , especially those that played on one different team for a long before , to gel.

When Stars signed Pavelski , after he played his whole career with the Sharks , he struggled to adjust for the first half of the first season .

Shouldn't expect a team that had that much overhaul in the offseason to instantly be good.

Not saying they can't or won't be good but the fact that they're struggling out of the gate is not a suprise to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: olli

olli

Least biased user
Dec 2, 2016
Canada
I’m not surprised to be honest. I had their ceiling quite high going into this season but also it’s important to remember that they over performed last year. Forsberg, Nyquist, ROR and Josi all had fantastic seasons and 3/4 of those guys are due to begin regressing within the next few seasons. Nyquist especially stands out because despite having great chemistry with ROR and Forsberg but he hadn’t come close to 70 points in years before last season. Stamkos and Marchessault also had very productive years last season and cashed in nicely but just like Nyquist they are getting to the age where they could easily regress to 45-60 point players. Obviously ROR and Josi bring way more to the table than points but they could really start to regress too. Not sure how Skjei is doing but throwing 7x7 at him seemed a little desperate after trading Mcdonagh. Not saying that trading Mcdonagh was a bad move but replacing him with Skjei at 7x7 was very risky.

Also it’s worth noting that it’s still very very early and the additions could take a bit more time to really gel with what they already had.

But overall despite the aging core and locked in contracts they still have a decent prospect pool and 3 firsts this upcoming year If things don’t workout this year they could sell what they can at the deadline and accumulate more assets with a long term plan to ride out their current contracts and continue to accumulate assets with a vision of being truly competitive with a new young core in 3-5 years.

If they turn things around, those 3 firsts could also be used to add at the deadline potential 1 or 2 very big fish which could be huge for them going from just a play off team to a true contender. I love ROR but at this point in his career I think he’s more of a 2C on a true contender so adding an offensive 1C would be huge for this team. But they are rarely available and I am not very familiar with who’s going to be available at the deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nogatco Rd

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I know it's not a sexy answer, but it really is too early for just about everything. Trades, panic, takeaways, the works. The league is still riddled with some teams that have played 5/6 and others 1/2 games at this point. Some teams have yet to start their backup, etc.

I'm not sure when you can start drawing conclusions about what a team really IS, but it's not the middle of October.

Reactions: JPT
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad