RD Victor Soderstrom (2019, 11th, ARZ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Thought Soderstrom, Johansson, and Bjornfot were all disappointing. Broberg had some nice shifts that displayed higher end talent but still was just ok overall.

Bjornfot had a decent tournament imo. The top pairing of Bjornfot - Broberg was really good in the first game, but Broberg's injuries took a toll on them later on.

I don't think Johansson was the right partner for Soderstrom though, they didn't mesh well at all.

Reactions: Preposterone

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Am i allowed to think that Soderstrom is still a very good player who will likely be a top 4 NHL Dman, yet acknowledge that he didn't have his best tournament? I thought it was going to be between him and Byram for best Dman of the WJC.

Last edited:

Preposterone

Dec 6, 2013
"I don't think Johansson was the right partner for Soderstrom though, they didn't mesh well at all.

Agreed. Personally, I would have put Bjornfot with Soderstrom and ridden that pairing. Johansson and Soderstrom were just constantly mis-anticipating each others positioning in the Dzone and turning harmless dump ins into near misses and extended Dzone time.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Somehow Sweden's D has been bad in many recent tournaments. I remember the whole group around Helge Grans and William Wallinder being awful at the Hlinka last year and again struggling at the 5 Nations in Feb. Not sure what that's all about but the U20 just continued the trend.

I still like Söderström a lot but I honestly haven't seen him in Sweden since his draft year.

They are also now pretty much the only top hockey country I believe that still plays only on the large ice surfaces back home so there is a big adjustment

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Haven't watched Söderström this season except for the WJC but I found his skating to be an issue there. He looked slower than last year, was hoping to see some progress. He also looked really small and weak along the boards against the top teams. Brilliant playmaker from the back end as usual.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

He was a natural and fit right in. No panic in his game. Needs to work on his slapper but that's about it. Pretty mean for his size as a swede.

Good to hear. A good debut in the NHL can make people forget about lamenting his WJC performance. Things like that stay in the rearview mirror. All that matters is how he does in the pros and sounds like he's off to a great start in that regard!

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Good stuff. They can work on the ö, though. Both the "o"s in this mans last name are actually "ö"s.

I'm not a linguist, but perhaps the "i" in "sir" is a useful approximation.

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
How's Soderstrom progressing this season? From stat watching he seems to be productive in the AHL but not in the NHL. On the other hand he seems to be playing well balanced minutes at both end of the ice and rounding up his complete game.

Anyone has seen him lately and care to share their observations?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
What's the rompus on Soderstrom? Is he projected to start in the NHL this year?

He was supposed to be a top prospect, but struggled to get ice time on a Coyotes roster that had a bunch of randoms on D last year

finkelsteinberg

Jul 1, 2016
Phoenix, AZ

He was supposed to be a top prospect, but struggled to get ice time on a Coyotes roster that had a bunch of randoms on D last year
There are certainly more knowledgeable people on this subject but I believe he will be given a chance to make the roster so it is mostly in his hands. I don't think our GM would mind over baking him in the AHL though.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack

Seems pretty smart and skilled when he gets to play. I think he’ll be an NHL. His development has been a bit wonky, with injuries and COVID seasons and coming over to NA and yo-yoing in AZ.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
Looks like should see some game time soon. Having an ok season in the A. But as long as Chych around, Soderstrom won't get much time I'm guessing, except for windows like this.

Reactions: JJTT

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
He and Valimaki look like they will make a really nice pairing. They can keep up with one another and feed off one another it seems. Poor Moser, just as he was having a bit of a "break out" year.

Victor already looks like he's acclimating well though. Expect to see progression in production towards the rest of the season.

When Cooley gets in there finally, this team could be fun to watch.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
I'm curious if a Soderstrom for Broberg swap would benefit both teams and players?
I don't think the Oilers are interested in moving off Broberg yet. I think they'll trade Kulak in the offseason and give Broberg the opportunity to play 3LD next season. If he struggles the first 20 games of next season, I think they'll move him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad