RD Victor Soderstrom (2019, 11th, ARZ)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Arozona-@ D will be rrally good in 2 years.

Especially if OEL can comeback from his injuries, and play the way he is capable of.
You wonder if the Coyotes will trade OEL and give the blueline over to Chychrun and Soderstrom. Not that keeping OEL would be a bad thing. I just wonder if there's a possible need there to sweep out the old guard.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
You wonder if the Coyotes will trade OEL and give the blueline over to Chychrun and Soderstrom. Not that keeping OEL would be a bad thing. I just wonder if there's a possible need there to sweep out the old guard.

"Sweeping out the old guard" and putting your future in the hands of prospects won't end well. Söderström is a good prospect but he's probably a couple of years away from being an impact NHL player and we don't know yet what type of impact he will make.

Reactions: 57special

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
All of Stepan, Grabner, Hjalmarsson, Goligoski, Demers, and Oesterle will be UFA after next season. I’d be surprised if any are re-signed.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Looks like his America trip will have to wait. Not only that, he's sick and will miss Brynäs final game today.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
He's making the jump to Arizona next season. Looks like the coyotes have seen enough and want him in the line up. Anyone know what kind of role he will play?

Dirtyf1ghter

Aug 7, 2019
He would be 4th or 5th if the eligibility was pushed back to 19 years. Arizona was right when they ranked him 3st.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Will play in the playoffs, if allowed:

5. Over the last week or so, the NHL has asked its teams to submit the names of AHLers/prospects that could be added to their rosters for the proposed Phase 3 (training camps) and Phase 4 (games). There isn’t total certainty, as the NHL and NHLPA sort out whether teams can add newly signed players for 2019–20. Unless that is allowed, defending Stanley Cup champion St. Louis and Vegas won’t have many surprises.

• Arizona is adding 2019 first-rounder Victor Soderstrom.

31 Thoughts: Hockey, NHL pushing forward on multiple fronts - Sportsnet.ca

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
I’ll be the first to admit I was wrong about Soderstrom. I didn’t think he had the offence to be anything more than a decent 2nd pair dman and didn’t get why some people rated him in the top 10 next year. After watching him this year it definitely seems like he does have top pair potential

Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Söderström was left out of the Swedish WJC team, along with Björnfot and Broberg. The Swedish head coach said he was 'afraid' the NHL pre-season might start and take them out of the troop around the time of the tournament.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Söderström was left out of the Swedish WJC team, along with Björnfot and Broberg. The Swedish head coach said he was 'afraid' the NHL pre-season might start and take them out of the troop around the time of the tournament.
Wrong. He was left out of the pre-WJC U20 November team playing 3 games vs Finland.

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
No talk about him whatsoever during this tournament. What are people thinking?

Was expecting more thus far but only one game where it hasn't been mostly garbage time. Remaining games will be a good indicator of where he stands. Don't know the ins and outs of Arizona of course but the way they've been handling him I think they expected a bigger leap at this point.

Broberg, Söderström, Björnfot getting beat wide in a World Juniors tournament are not great signs for their NHL readiness.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
He was completely overwhelmed the entire tournament, bad turnovers/giveaways, getting caught out of position, getting caught in his own zone endless times. Poor gap control, poor defensive reaction, just an all around bad WJCs showing from all 5 games that I watched.

Johansson had a few brainfarts too, but I thought it was really frustrating having Soderstrom as his primary D partner 5v5, and many times their shifts were too much time defending instead of creating offense because of mistakes Soderstrom had created that led to the other teams getting possession.

People can criticize Broberg for his WJCs all they want, and I thought yeah, he had a rough tournament. But I do think Soderstrom's poor tournament was a bigger factor in Sweden underacheiving than Broberg was.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
He was completely overwhelmed the entire tournament, bad turnovers/giveaways, getting caught out of position, getting caught in his own zone endless times. Poor gap control, poor defensive reaction, just an all around bad WJCs showing from all 5 games that I watched.

Johansson had a few brainfarts too, but I thought it was really frustrating having Soderstrom as his primary D partner 5v5, and many times their shifts were too much time defending instead of creating offense because of mistakes Soderstrom had created that led to the other teams getting possession.

People can criticize Broberg for his WJCs all they want, and I thought yeah, he had a rough tournament. But I do think Soderstrom's poor tournament was a bigger factor in Sweden underacheiving than Broberg was.
He was great in the first 2 games, and period 2 onwards vs Russia, but yeah, aside for that he didn't play like himself. Johansson was the weaker of the two, though.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
He was great in the first 2 games, and period 2 onwards vs Russia, but yeah, aside for that he didn't play like himself. Johansson was the weaker of the two, though.

I disagree, all the goals that were scored against that pairing weren't pretty, but all the high danger shot attempts that led to the goals themselves were due to Soderstrom's bad positioning/gap control than Johansson simply struggling to prevent zone entries (first goal vs Russia, first goal vs Finland tonight/the second goal vs Finland that was called offside because Johansson moved the puck outside the blue line).

Johansson did a more effective job at getting himself out of trouble/regaining puck possession when Sweden was pinned in their own zone than Soderstrom did, he was able to have less hectic/and shorter shifts in the D zone with Bjornfot than he did with Soderstrom.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
I disagree, all the goals that were scored against that pairing weren't pretty, but all the high danger shot attempts that led to the goals themselves were due to Soderstrom's bad positioning/gap control than Johansson simply struggling to prevent zone entries (first goal vs Russia, first goal vs Finland tonight/the second goal vs Finland that was called offside because Johansson moved the puck outside the blue line).

Johansson did a more effective job at getting himself out of trouble/regaining puck possession when Sweden was pinned in their own zone than Soderstrom did, he was able to have less hectic/and shorter shifts in the D zone with Bjornfot than he did with Soderstrom.
Björnfot was Sweden's best dman, and frankly only good one in the top-4. He made everybody better because he was a rock defensively, saying x played better with him is obviously true. Everybody did. He made Drew Doughty look good. :laugh:

Reactions: bleedblue94

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Completely disagree. Johansson was far worse IMO, with fewer positive plays. But I expect a lot more than what Soderstrom delivered.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Thought Soderstrom, Johansson, and Bjornfot were all disappointing. Broberg had some nice shifts that displayed higher end talent but still was just ok overall.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
Somehow Sweden's D has been bad in many recent tournaments. I remember the whole group around Helge Grans and William Wallinder being awful at the Hlinka last year and again struggling at the 5 Nations in Feb. Not sure what that's all about but the U20 just continued the trend.

I still like Söderström a lot but I honestly haven't seen him in Sweden since his draft year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad