RD Ryan Chesley - USNTDP, USHL (2022, 37th, WSH)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I liked this guy before the draft, and I like him now. A defensive, mobile RHD who can be physical...could be a bit bigger, but he's big enough. Those guys are always in demand.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He plays good in his own end and has sneaky offensive upside, which i think will be more visible as he gets better opportunities
Yeah, the team he's on now doesn't even allow Brock Faber any PP TOI, so he isn't going to get any this year. Next year should be a different story, but as I said above, Defensive Dman who can skate and hold their own physically are in high demand, especially if they are RH.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Was very high on Chesley coming out of the 2022 Draft, but everything I've seen and read from Gophers fans makes me less enthused about him now, as there hasn't been as much progression from him as there as been from Rinzel. Interested to see how he does this season.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
He falls down a lot and is often ungraceful but I like his game. He should be a good #5 eventually with potential to be a 2nd pair guy

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Was very high on Chesley coming out of the 2022 Draft, but everything I've seen and read from Gophers fans makes me less enthused about him now, as there hasn't been as much progression from him as there as been from Rinzel. Interested to see how he does this season.
He did much better at the World Juniors than Rinzel.

Rinzel gets the power play time.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Rinzel is way, way better. Chesley might end up an AHLer. Those that watch in week in and week out see the baffling decisions he often makes.

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
Yeah, I'll agree to disagree on that.
Lindgren was the best d-man on that (bad) roster by the Christmas break. You didn't notice him, and that's the sign of a great defenseman and why he stuck in the NHL so quickly.

You notice Chesley.

Hope now is a complementary defensive partner to an offensive minded LHD?
That was always the hope

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t see Lindgren as anywhere near the comparison. I get there a few similarities (from Minnesota, played at the NTDP, roughly similar height, good defensively and played for the U), but there are also quite a few differences. Chesley is a right shot, Lindgren left. Chesley was considerably heavier at like 16 years old than Lindgren is at 26. Chesley has a big shot. Lindgren has one of the worst shots I’ve ever seen on an NHL’er. Lindgren will dive in front of any puck and is all grit and toughness. Chesley has some of that, but he also wants to play more offensive, carry the puck more, and shoot it.

Chesley has more offensive potential. He’s unfortunately been asked to play a defensive role as a shutdown guy the last few years because that’s what his teams needed out of him. He can do it, but has shown the ability to be a good two way player in the past.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I don’t see Lindgren as anywhere near the comparison. I get there a few similarities (from Minnesota, played at the NTDP, roughly similar height, good defensively and played for the U), but there are also quite a few differences. Chesley is a right shot, Lindgren left. Chesley was considerably heavier at like 16 years old than Lindgren is at 26. Chesley has a big shot. Lindgren has one of the worst shots I’ve ever seen on an NHL’er. Lindgren will dive in front of any puck and is all grit and toughness. Chesley has some of that, but he also wants to play more offensive, carry the puck more, and shoot it.

Chesley has more offensive potential. He’s unfortunately been asked to play a defensive role as a shutdown guy the last few years because that’s what his teams needed out of him. He can do it, but has shown the ability to be a good two way player in the past.
I wasn't comparing attributes or play styles.

Just watching a guy in college, not seeing a future top 4 NHL defenseman, and then him becoming one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad