RD Oliver Bonk - London Knights, OHL (2023, 22nd, PHI)

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
there should be more talk about him. He has 20 points in his last 8 games.

Villian Arc.

Most teams fans on HF hype up their own prospects. Flyers fans on here are too preoccupied with complaining about how crappy their organization is, and thus anything positive they do, so the silence is actually hype. He’s been outstanding.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Most teams fans on HF hype up their own prospects. Flyers fans on here are too preoccupied with complaining about how crappy their organization is, and thus anything positive they do, so the silence is actually hype. He’s been outstanding.
Yeah, it’s a shame. I remember a lot of megativity surrounding this selection at the time, I’d imagine that tone has changed.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
While the production is encouraging it may not be an accurate representation of his true talent level.

He's doing most of his damage on the PP (in the games he plays he has a point on ~half of London's PP goals). That would be fine if he was doing it as a traditional point man, but as mostly a slot/bumper/net front guy? That production is mostly useless for projecting him at the next level (although if any organization would run him out in that role its the Flyers lol).

He has 9 even strength primary points in 33 games while playing almost half the game on a team that averages 3 ES goals per game. That's not great (~9% primary involvement). If the ES production improves, that would be the most encouraging indicator.

Last edited:

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011

Bumping this thread after Bonk was named Player of the Game in the Memorial Cup. Knowing that Flyers fans are hesitant to get excited about most of the team’s drafting, I’d love to hear what neutral observers are making of Bonk.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Bumping this thread after Bonk was named Player of the Game in the Memorial Cup. Knowing that Flyers fans are hesitant to get excited about most of the team’s drafting, I’d love to hear what neutral observers are making of Bonk.
Really? That's not the impression I get when reading in the Michkov thread:laugh:

Bonk is a very solid prospect though. He was fantastic at the WJC20 as well. Good pick. A bit too lanky for pro hockey as we speak but he has at least another year in London and two offseasons to fill out.

Reactions: joestevens29

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
He was fantastic tonight.....Kept thinking he was the player of the game but thought they'd go with Simpson the Goalie... He looked great in all phases of the game tonight... defensively...tough.... transition.... shot...offensive zone awareness.. He was real good

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California

Liked him last year and like him this year. Would trade the 14th overall for him please.

Reactions: Redpath

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011
Really? That's not the impression I get when reading in the Michkov thread:laugh:

Bonk is a very solid prospect though. He was fantastic at the WJC20 as well. Good pick. A bit too lanky for pro hockey as we speak but he has at least another year in London and two offseasons to fill out.

Keyword “most”

Michkov is great enough to unite even the most miserable, pessimistic Flyers fans

Last edited:

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
Keyword “most”

Michkov is great enough to unite even the most miserable, pessimistic Flyers fans
I’m a little worried that Michkov is almost in sacred territory. Expectations are sky high and I’m concerned some will turn on him even if he’s merely a good player and not an Art Ross candidate yearly

Reactions: Redpath

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
It's in his hands but he has a shot to play in the NHL next year. They won't rush him of course, but he plays a nice all-around game. He looks bigger this year to. Smart player.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
This. Anyone taking an objective look at the prospects in the Philadelphia pipeline sees a glass that is not only half-filled but fairly encouraging.

Last edited:

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
He's been great all season. I wasn't super high on him last year but he's really improved. His shot and point game has improved a lot. His skating has improved a decent amount. He's still great at handling forwards off the rush and defensively in general. If he keeps improving at this rate I could see him get one year in the AHL and then join the NHL. He still may have somewhat limited offensive upside but his shot has improved a bunch, if he keeps improving it and gets PP time I could see him turning into a pretty solid two way player. He'll probably never put up the points of someone elite but he's extremely solid defensively and the kind of player who is generally underrated around the league but the fanbase loves him. Playing with Michkov I'm sure could help.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
had a really good draft +1 year. What makes his more projectable is this was really only his second year in the OHL. Only played a handful of games in 2022. Could project as a true top 4 guy for PHI.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
had a really good draft +1 year. What makes his more projectable is this was really only his second year in the OHL. Only played a handful of games in 2022. Could project as a true top 4 guy for PHI.
Yeah he's got a lot of upside. Probably not as high of a ceiling as former London Knight John Carlson had, but he could very good in Philadelphia if properly developed.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Oliver Bonk and Radek Bonk are both January 9 birthdays. That's crazy, what are the odds...

I think it’s 1/365 x 1/365? For both to have the specific birth date.

The Chicago Whitesox have better odds to win the World Series this year than the Flyers have of developing this kid correctly.

Look at their execrable history of developing promising young defenseman. Oh wait, they never have.

Well the D development has been a lot better not under torts but under the assistant coaching staff. So hoping they can make him top pair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad