RD Oliver Bonk - London Knights, OHL (2023, 22nd, PHI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
He's been great all season. I wasn't super high on him last year but he's really improved. His shot and point game has improved a lot. His skating has improved a decent amount. He's still great at handling forwards off the rush and defensively in general. If he keeps improving at this rate I could see him get one year in the AHL and then join the NHL. He still may have somewhat limited offensive upside but his shot has improved a bunch, if he keeps improving it and gets PP time I could see him turning into a pretty solid two way player. He'll probably never put up the points of someone elite but he's extremely solid defensively and the kind of player who is generally underrated around the league but the fanbase loves him. Playing with Michkov I'm sure could help.
I saw Bonk in the WJC, a few playoff games and the MemCup. He really is very good defensively in all areas: off rush, in corners on cycle and clearing the zone. Moves the puck very well, can skate it out, and has some offensive skill. Never overmanned or beaten by speed. He'll go back to London next year, lead the WJC team and then could crack the Flyers in '25-'26 or play one year in AHL first. Certainly has a bright future as, at worst, an NHL #3/4 Dman.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
How was his attitude his first three or four years? Never heard any rumblings or complaints back then. The organ-I-zation literally ruined him, as they have a penchant for doing.

From what i recall he was a loner in the locker room and awkward (not much team comadre) and also complained about not being on the 1st PP unit... where he failed many times to QB it adequately.

Craft Beer Lover

Nov 14, 2022
Mt Laurel, NJ
From what i recall he was a loner in the locker room and awkward (not much team comadre) and also complained about not being on the 1st PP unit... where he failed many times to QB it adequately.
Rumors and innuendo. I see an organ-I-zation that has failed to properly develop stud young defensemen for decades now. And please don’t infer that Cam York is a high-end young defender. His ceiling is maybe a #3 on a good team.

Reactions: Larry44

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
Rumors and innuendo. I see an organ-I-zation that has failed to properly develop stud young defensemen for decades now. And please don’t infer that Cam York is a high-end young defender. His ceiling is maybe a #3 on a good team.

I can agree on the rumors on the locker room are hearsay, but he failed miserably on the PP and complained about it in the media...

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
He also said the team didn't have enough skill to think like him and play to his level. I'm sure that rubbed the others badly

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
They absolutely ruined him
Seems like last time you’ve been watching him in his juniors time. Except straight line, he’s a poor skater, he sucked around the net, his decision making at PP was literally awful (best example the Game 2 against Montreal - just look at him on the 5x3 PP, it’s his absolutely ordinary day on the PP), but despite all this things he always got a chances in all situations since day 1 in the NHL.
Except 1 or 2 game in his rookie year (after “-5” against Blackhawks) he NEVER played even in 3rd pairing.

TBH I wish every young D be ruined like he was. He is just overrated, and always was. He never should be taken before Mikko Rantanen

Reactions: FlyguyOX

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad