RD Carter Yakemchuk - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2024, 7th, OTT)

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Sens' brass showing a little patience and not bowing down to the excited expectations of the fanbase.

Not many defencemen who have just turned 19 start in the NHL.
Yup^. NHL can be very tough on young Dmen. If Yak goes back to the WHL with some pretty clear direction on what they'd like him to work on, giving him another year to fill out and mature both physically and mentally, it can only be a good thing.

We all want instant gratification from our high draft picks, but that's simply not the way development works. OTT will be better for it as is, long term.

I appreciate you not pointing out how well my take aged in light of Yakemuch being assigned to the WHL.
Bad teams rush prospects. Hopefully OTT is going in a positive new direction, and is done with doing dumb shit.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t like the “9 games” thing. I think you should either know going in whether you want someone in the NHL or not.

I probably would’ve kept him in the NHL. I thought he earned it, but being cautious won’t hurt him or the team.

JT3

May 27, 2013
Was easily my favorite D prospect pre-draft, so it hurts me that I'll have to watch him play for the Sens.

Think sending him back for one more year is the right call. He's going to Calgary brimming with confidence after that camp/pre-season and will have time to iron out the little things. Should be good to go next year.

Reactions: NyQuil and Waterbuf

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
What he needs to improve upon really needs to be done at professional league level against better talent. Reacting to speed and changes in speed. Talent needs to be challenged not stagnate.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
Even if you don't keep him up for all 9 games I can't see a downside to starting Yakemchuk in the NHL so this is a questionable decision to me. He's obviously going to dominate the WHL this year with his mix of size and skill, so why not give him a taste for what the next level will take?

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
Relax folks guys come up and get 9 games or more not necessarily at the start of the season.

Just wait until December when its clear Ott is out of playoff contention.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
ehh....he'll play on a really good WJC team in a great tournament, and get in his 9 games with OTT at some point. Should be plenty to keep him challenged. He is not going to be spending all his time "dominating the WHL".

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Relax folks guys come up and get 9 games or more not necessarily at the start of the season.

Just wait until December when its clear Ott is out of playoff contention.
If a junior player goes back, can’t be recalled unless on 3rd emergency call up.

In December he likely will be in Ottawa, but for the WJC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad