RD Carter Yakemchuk - Calgary Hitmen, WHL (2024, 7th, OTT)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Having said that, for such a passionate and brilliant high iQ player - Mark Stone, who is 6'3" with uncanny timing and the ability to get to the right spot - he is remarkably not physical. He could be 5'5" and it would make no difference at all in his game tbh. Maybe less solid on his stick, but more agile and light on his skates?

Yamerchuk is physical though, and in no way shy about contact. His size and strength is an asset. And he will be vvery hard to play against so long as he stays motivated.

Height is largely about reach, we don't talk about that enough. Whether you're willing to throw the body or not, you still have a huge advantage with a long reach. And Stone absolutely relies on it, his anticipation isn't going to get him the puck if it's a foot out of reach.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I love how happy everyone is now with him and how sour I’m sure rival fans are with how good he has been when a few months ago many Sens fans were pissed off and rival fans were laughing when he was drafted.

Us posters that see WHL a lot knew how good of a player he was but many people just get caught up with all the random mock drafts online and feel at the time it was a reach taking him that high

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Height is largely about reach, we don't talk about that enough. Whether you're willing to throw the body or not, you still have a huge advantage with a long reach. And Stone absolutely relies on it, his anticipation isn't going to get him the puck if it's a foot out of reach.

I would agree but also add that being quicker (ie lighter) and faster on your feet, and all over the ice for that matter, would negate the reach factor overall if you are a supreme high IQ player.

Point being though is that Yamerchuck is a stronger man physically and more willing to engage than Stone ever was. Already. Not that they have a choppy stride, or have a short reach.

Last edited:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I love how happy everyone is now with him and how sour I’m sure rival fans are with how good he has been when a few months ago many Sens fans were pissed off and rival fans were laughing when he was drafted.

Us posters that see WHL a lot knew how good of a player he was but many people just get caught up with all the random mock drafts online and feel at the time it was a reach taking him that high
I felt he went a little high at the time. I had personally preferred Buium and Dickinson at #11 (assuming all 3 were available), but Yakemchuk is showing he was drafted at the right spot. He's got a lot of talent and has been really impressive.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
He is really good with the puck, not flashy but those passes he makes are so good and easy to catch. Great placement, speed, everything feels so crisp. It's weird seeing it from a guy who's so big. Like watching a Thornton but on D.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Crazy because I was literally going to compare him to Mark Stone (were both Sens fans so Im not going to lose my hat, but wow). They just get to the right place and let the hands take over.

Having said that, for such a passionate and brilliant high iQ player - Mark Stone, who is 6'3" with uncanny timing and the ability to get to the right spot - he is remarkably not physical. He could be 5'5" and it would make no difference at all in his game tbh. Maybe less solid on his stick, but more agile and light on his skates?

Yamerchuk is physical though, and in no way shy about contact. His size and strength is an asset. And he will be vvery hard to play against so long as he stays motivated.

He definitely has a good dose of that Mark Stone level vision......which is scary, considering Stone is practically jedi-like in that regard.

I do worry about Yak's strength though. Being a defenseman and taking hits against men is hard even when you're fit. As a teenager is going to be doubly difficult. The team really has to take care regarding matchups and icetime, and continue to put him in a position to succeed.

He's had a jaw-dropping preseason, but he's still a kid, and in a kid's body. We can't forget that.

Reactions: wetcoast

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
So has he played his way onto the team? Might be a smart move. Is he really going to learn how to defend against grown men playing against a bunch of teenagers in the CHL after all?

I hated the Tkachuk pick, I hated the Sanderson pick, I was disappointed Stützle fell to us instead of Byfield and I was mad with the Yakemchuk pick.

I liked the Boucher pick.
To be fair wrt Byfield he has taken longer to develop but he had some bad luck early in his pro career. He seems to be right on track now. Big season incoming for him.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
He is a rover out there and deserves the 9 games. Ottawa has their future top pair RD right here. He needs to get stronger, faster and learn how to defend better at the NHL (more news at 11 duh lol) and we'll see how it actually translates in the regular season vs preseason.

The fact that hes able to keep up and produce like this in the late preseason is a good sign tho. He will have the support of Sanderson, Chabot and Zub which has the makings of a decent top 4, and (hopefully) decent goaltending Ottawa hasnt had in a long time.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
The things he needs to work on can just be obtained through coaching, experience and general maturity.

The things he’s elite at which are offensive IQ, hands and shot are all natural to him.

Reactions: guyzeur

Bronz

Oct 21, 2013
This guy just looks like a natural on offence. If the Sens don't keep him, they won't ice their best team. Out of every rookie in the pre-season, Michkov included, Yakemchuk is the one that has screamed 'Superstar upside' the most.

Reactions: majormajor

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hate to be that person, but is anyone thinking he might not be an instant NHL star?

The NHL is tough for a D+1. The preseason is filled with a bunch of AHL’ers and worse. I don’t want to dismiss what he’s done. Of course, it’s very noteworthy, but will he get the time and situations in Ottawa this season and will he perform the same way on both sides of the puck when the games matter?

We’ve seen so many stories over the years of a very good prospect that knocks the door down during preseason, the regular season starts, and things don’t go their way before they get benched, scratched, and demoted. You hope, for Ottawa’s sake, that he can continue this, but it’ll be tough.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Hate to be that person, but is anyone thinking he might not be an instant NHL star?

The NHL is tough for a D+1. The preseason is filled with a bunch of AHL’ers and worse. I don’t want to dismiss what he’s done. Of course, it’s very noteworthy, but will he get the time and situations in Ottawa this season and will he perform the same way on both sides of the puck when the games matter?

We’ve seen so many stories over the years of a very good prospect that knocks the door down during preseason, the regular season starts, and things don’t go their way before they get benched, scratched, and demoted. You hope, for Ottawa’s sake, that he can continue this, but it’ll be tough.
I don't really think anyone is banking on him being an "instant superstar" stepping into the league. That would be kind of ridiculous IMO; however, he definitely is flashing the type of game of a clearcut star in the making.

He's at a Top 6D level right now; I don't think anyone wants to trust him with heavier deployment/harder matchups than that on the onset.

Boxscore

Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
This guy just looks like a natural on offence. If the Sens don't keep him, they won't ice their best team. Out of every rookie in the pre-season, Michkov included, Yakemchuk is the one that has screamed 'Superstar upside' the most.
Him, Michkov, and Gauthier have all shown glimpses of being future superstars. I'd say Michkov slightly more so but Yak has been absolutely incredible.

Reactions: Fatass

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Him, Michkov, and Gauthier have all shown glimpses of being future superstars. I'd say Michkov slightly more so but Yak has been absolutely incredible.

I could see future superstar in both Michkov and Yak. In this pre-season I found Yak to be more consistently showing those glimpses, but obviously with Michkov's pedigree I can understand giving him a lean. Gauthier I saw the highlights of him finishing off two goals set up by Leo. I could see him doing that a lot. But superstar? Was there something I missed?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad