GDT: Rd 2, Game 7: Avs @ Sharks | 7 PM MT | May 8, 2019 | Good season guys

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I don’t think I’ve ever seen a broadcast slob on someone’s knob as much as they did Pavelski’s last night. It was ridiculous.
I know. Did you see the NHL's tweet in the playoffs thread? I know the NHL does these team specific tweets (they have before) but the thing is, every actual fan of the NHL has a team. They don't like the other teams. So why does the league post these shitty fan posts?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Remove the blue line if it's going to cause this kind of problems. Only logical thing to do. Would rather Mack not have come back and we lost 7-0 than lose to officiating like that. The arena was dead after that goal... Who knows what would've happened. But we lost so it doesn't matter.

The suggestions I heard that I actually love... widen the blueline by 2" on either side and mandate where benches are. That gives just a touch more room for these sorts of cases... that said, players will still push the envelope there.

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton

Think he is showing just how horrible the process is lol. Not only was the oiler player not on the blue, but it looked like his skate was on the ice so should be offside but was called a goal.

Landy was on the blue and skate was on the ice and it was overturned.

The only consistency this league has is how consistently it is they get the call wrong when they go to reviews or DoPS.

dwkdnvr

Mar 10, 2004
Just needs to touch blue to successfully “tag up”.

I think this is the question. Isn't it the case that the blue line is 'flex space' - it's considered to be part of whichever zone that you are "in", so that to either enter or exit you have to be completely clear of the line? i.e. in order to be completely IN the zone, you have to clear the blue line; when exiting, to be clear you have to have your skate completely clear the line. This is consistent with how offsides are called with the puck - the puck has to be completely clear of the line to be 'out of the zone' - if you hold the puck with any part of it still touching the line, then it's still in the zone and you don't have to clear. If this interpretation is true, then the call makes more sense.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
They should make the offsides rule like in soccer where the play won’t be called dead if the player offside doesn’t affect the play. But said player can’t be involved in the play until he’s off the ice(in the case he’s changing) or tags up.

Reactions: MacBradley

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I always cringe when fans of the opposite
team that just beat yours post stuff like “good series, you have a heck of a team and bright future, I really enjoyed watching your team play”. Especially after that controversial call. Maybe it sounds silly, but that’s just me.
Yeah, regardless of intent it’s really bad timing to do that when there has been a controversial call. Then the intent looks bad when the post just ignores said controversial call altogether.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
The Avs had a lot of time to come back after the Wilson non goal. Including a PP. And that Donskoi goal was terrible by Landy and Gruvauer and whoever the defender was who couldn't clear.

If the Avs were good enough they could still win despite a bad call. They weren't good enough.
There is a thing called momentum, Avs were robbed of that.

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
I was pretty zen after the game as I expected to lose. But I woke up bitter and salty, and not in a good way. It's only getting worse as the day goes on. Going to start drinking soon. Not sure what else to do besides troll the main board.

HabsRudy

Apr 26, 2014
Well here there 2 problem that I see ,

1- Is that Landeskog took time to text is girlfriend and taking a selfie with a fan before getting off the ice , like seriously guys in a very important game like this this could still be called a to many mans on ice penality. I don't care how tired he was thos sloppy change up shouldnt never and I mean NEVER be a thing form the get go.Especially in playoff mode.

2- the door bench even for Defense and Offence shouldnt never be on the offense blue line, I seen many arena with a different proportion and bench door are never the same. I understand thats its faster for defense to change up behind their own blue line , but still I seen so many either ''too many man on ice'' or '' goal disallowed'' or '' goal allowed'' with players still a stake on ice while trying to change up.

Gabriel Landeskog is the ONLY ONE to be blame for that goal , and thinking this goal surely was the biggest turn over of this game . Am not a Avs fan or either against Sharks , but if that would happen to my team , I would want my coach to bench that lazy piece of crap the moment the goal is refuse till the end. Doesnt matter if the guy is Captain , or their best player.

Congrats to the Sharks moving on , and tough loss to Avs , a very good year , Raatanen and Mackinnon were in fire.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I think this is the question. Isn't it the case that the blue line is 'flex space' - it's considered to be part of whichever zone that you are "in", so that to either enter or exit you have to be completely clear of the line? i.e. in order to be completely IN the zone, you have to clear the blue line; when exiting, to be clear you have to have your skate completely clear the line. This is consistent with how offsides are called with the puck - the puck has to be completely clear of the line to be 'out of the zone' - if you hold the puck with any part of it still touching the line, then it's still in the zone and you don't have to clear. If this interpretation is true, then the call makes more sense.

It's not. Rule 83.3, which the NHL itself posted to justify the call, clearly indicates that to "clear the zone" a player only has to touch the blue line. Even if the puck was fully in the zone before Landy had touched the blue line it was only a delayed offside, since Landeskog was not touching the puck or interfering in the play, which happens about a dozen times a game. The instant he touched the blue line he had touched up, was, from a technical standpoint, outside of the zone, and was then free to re-enter the zone (not offside) since the puck was already well in the zone.

Basically, if Landeskog touched the blue line at any point after the puck entered the zone -- and it seems rather clear he did, and certainly there is zero conclusive evidence that he did not -- the play was indisputably a goal and a terrible call.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Well here there 2 problem that I see ,

1- Is that Landeskog took time to text is girlfriend and taking a selfie with a fan before getting off the ice , like seriously guys in a very important game like this this could still be called a to many mans on ice penality. I don't care how tired he was thos sloppy change up shouldnt never and I mean NEVER be a thing form the get go.Especially in playoff mode.

2- the door bench even for Defense and Offence shouldnt never be on the offense blue line, I seen many arena with a different proportion and bench door are never the same. I understand thats its faster for defense to change up behind their own blue line , but still I seen so many either ''too many man on ice'' or '' goal disallowed'' or '' goal allowed'' with players still a stake on ice while trying to change up.

Gabriel Landeskog is the ONLY ONE to be blame for that goal , and thinking this goal surely was the biggest turn over of this game . Am not a Avs fan or either against Sharks , but if that would happen to my team , I would want my coach to bench that lazy piece of crap the moment the goal is refuse till the end. Doesnt matter if the guy is Captain , or their best player.

Congrats to the Sharks moving on , and tough loss to Avs , a very good year , Raatanen and Mackinnon were in fire.

Can't argue with any of your points.

Landy is the Captain and sloppily should have known better. Commentators (former players) mentioned players on the bench usually the backup Goalie or 4th liners would often open the door/release the latch, but did nothing.

I thought Landy was on the line and shouldn't be called offside, but they had multiple players on the ice and could have been a penalty. Irrespective of either interpretation, the Refs made the proper call to cancel the Goal.

Homer - Crying.gif

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I hate the offside reviews in general, so this one doesn't really bother me more than any else.

It slows down the game and very rarely does the offside have a tangible impact on the actual goal scored.

I get that it's supposed to be to get it right, but if it is how come getting it right does have such a bad taste most of the time?

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
I hate the offside reviews in general, so this one doesn't really bother me more than any else.

It slows down the game and very rarely does the offside have a tangible impact on the actual goal scored.

I get that it's supposed to be to get it right, but if it is how come getting it right does have such a bad taste most of the time?

It's good to review if the refs miss something blatant that gives one team an unfair advantage. This isn't anywhere in the same galaxy as that, hence the shit mouth taste.

A hard working, well earned goal negated over some irrelevant nit-pick. It doesn't get any stupider than that.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Was so drunk last night I dont even remember the game :laugh:

Probably a good thing cause man oh man watching the replays of that disallowed goal last night is painful. Plain and simple the NHL got it wrong. And as easy as it is to blame the series loss on that play... It really did lose us this series. If that goal counts you're talking about a 2-2 game in the 2nd period with the Avs carrying the momentum.

Instead, the Avs lose absolutely all momentum from the goal and a very short time late it is 3-1 San Jose and its a mountain to climb once again.

TheForsbergShow

Apr 4, 2016
Edmonton
Honestly I hope the Cup final goes to game 7 in OT and a good goal is overturned, only for the other team to score the next shift and win the Cup.

We need another foot in the crease moment for the league to realize its current review process is a joke.

Also I just want to see the world burn haha.

wayninja

Win it for Val
Mar 24, 2017
I have nothing else to watch for other than to hope and pray that the hockey gods deliver karmic justice to the sharks, preferably in the form of a game changing 5 min major and negated goals that allow the Blues to the Finals.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
It's not. Rule 83.3, which the NHL itself posted to justify the call, clearly indicates that to "clear the zone" a player only has to touch the blue line. Even if the puck was fully in the zone before Landy had touched the blue line it was only a delayed offside, since Landeskog was not touching the puck or interfering in the play, which happens about a dozen times a game. The instant he touched the blue line he had touched up, was, from a technical standpoint, outside of the zone, and now free to re-enter the zone (not offside) since the puck was already well in the zone. If Landeskog touched the blue line at any point after the puck crossed the blue line he had touched up, was onside, and the Avs were free to touch the puck.

Agree. The zone was cleared by the technical definition of the rule. Plus Landeskog was now free and clear to enter the bench. I have no idea why it took so long. No room to jump the boards? Nobody opened the door for him? He need to adjust his cup first?

It's kinda ironic that as a long time assistant youth hockey coach, you are opening the doors for players from mites through peewee/bantams. Players can't wait to be big enough physically to be able to hop over the boards. Still it remained my job when I coached midgets/high school to make sure the team avoided too many men situations, off sides situations, and that players tagged up when required, etc.. And sometimes that meant either myself or the substitute goalie opening the door for them.

The problem here seems to lie in that tight enforcement of the rules for line changes, too many men (leaving the bench early), tagging up, etc. are loosely enforced in the NHL. Then suddenly a goal is scored and the opposition wants strict enforcement for something that's been overlooked all game, heck, all season long! . That's BS. The linesmen could have simply said there wasn't enough proof (there wasn't) to overturn the call made on the ice. Especially it being a goal. (This is when cronyism and favoritism starts to creep into one's thinking. How could it not?)

Clearly the referee gifting the next penalty call to Colorado showed he didn't agree that justice had been done.

Much has been made of the discretion given to NHL referee's in calling penalties, etc. based on their assessment of the game and its criticality. This has always been used to justify "swallowing one's whistle". That argument is now mute.

This incident plus the one made against Vegas shows that NHL officiating is consistently.... inconsistent and incompetent. Pretty sure Kerry Fraser will trying to explain this one away but I really don't care what he has to say anymore.

Frankly, linesmen are not referee's. They have no business making this level of decision w/o referee oversight. If the ref's concurred then, they should not work any further games in playoff because they obviously don't know the rules.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Yeah, weak sauce from the NHL.

This would have been a travesty in any larger market.

I didn’t really expect us to beat the Blues with how banged up we were, but it would have been nice to have had the chance.

We were pretty beat up in the end. Seemed like our whole 1st line had something fairly serious wrong with them. It was nice to see some of the secondary players step up a bit. Soderberg really never showed up which is sad.

All in all a great season for me. If we can figure out how not to go too high or too low during the course of a regular season we should be good for years to come, imo. Looks like we finally are getting over the hump as an organization.

Not really a fan of the Sharks.....but I can’t really stand the Blues, well at least their fans, so I’ll be rooting for the Sharks.

Last edited:

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
The weird thing from my point of view is the focus on where Landy was when the puck crossed the line. That doesn't matter, what matters is what Landy did after the puck entered the zone and before MacKinnon touched the puck. Delayed offsides don't get blown until the person who is offside gets involved in the play (clearly not the case here), or another player touches the puck. If Landy touched the line after the puck entered the zone, or got off the ice, then it is not an offside call.

As an aside, we have to end the ability for some nobody with an ipad to interfere with calls on the ice. If the refs miss it, and the coaches miss it - play on. This video assistant stuff is just silly. And not because it worked out against the Avs in this case. It is silly having some person hidden away in a room rewinding tape for infractions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad