Speculation: Raymond Seider Contract Speculation

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Agreed. Really surprised tbh by all the takes wanting Yzerman to just cave to whatever demands.

none of us really know exactly what's happening but I think the fact that it's two players and not just one makes a difference here

is it the one guy in Yzerman being the most stubborn here or is it the two guys that don't even have the same agent? Occam's razor yeah?

hell it isn't nearly as important as the other two but Yzerman hasn't even managed to sign Berggren yet so really it's three guys with three different agents

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
none of us really know exactly what's happening but I think the fact that it's two players and not just one makes a difference here

is it the one guy in Yzerman being the most stubborn here or is it the two guys that don't even have the same agent? Occam's razor yeah?

hell it isn't nearly as important as the other two but Yzerman hasn't even managed to sign Berggren yet so really it's three guys with three different agents
The simplest answer to what's going on isn't necessarily that Yzerman is being stubborn for no reason though.

Berggren likely has a deal in place also.

DTR

Dec 13, 2021
Friedman said on todays podcast is his belief is it won’t be an issue getting Raymond under Larkin’s number but he isn’t sure about Seider.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
The most straightforward answer is that we have yet to hit any real deadlines for the deal. I'll be surprised if neither of the contracts are signed by Friday. And then I'll be surprised again if neither of the contracts are signed by the first preseason game.

There's a reason most teams wait until the trade deadline to make trades.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I like the idea of having an internal cap and Larkin being the ceiling for what others will earn. It won't last forever with the cap increase but I think it's the right approach for Ray and Mo... Larkin is our leader, he earns the most. When a real superstar comes along or if someone develops onto one... you can pass that cap hit. The problem with Mo is the comparable contracts and the fact he's been our #1 for 3 years.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
I like the idea of having an internal cap and Larkin being the ceiling for what others will earn. It won't last forever with the cap increase but I think it's the right approach for Ray and Mo... Larkin is our leader, he earns the most. When a real superstar comes along or if someone develops onto one... you can pass that cap hit. The problem with Mo is the comparable contracts and the fact he's been our #1 for 3 years.
This type of thing has been said a lot, but I can't imagine this being the case in real life. We're flat out telling these guys that we won't pay them what the league-wide market value is for their skill level because we want to keep a different player as the highest paid?

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
This type of thing has been said a lot, but I can't imagine this being the case in real life. We're flat out telling these guys that we won't pay them what the league-wide market value is for their skill level because we want to keep a different player as the highest paid?

I agree with you, and it's silly to apply that logic to defensemen when they have a different market than forwards, especially right-handed defensemen. It made sense to a degree when it was Lidstrom. I don't think it will be easy to build a competitive team if we can never sign anyone higher than Larkin throughout his deal.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I agree with you, and it's silly to apply that logic to defensemen when they have a different market than forwards, especially right-handed defensemen. It made sense to a degree when it was Lidstrom. I don't think it will be easy to build a competitive team if we can never sign anyone higher than Larkin throughout his deal.

I think it would only make sense if you have the understanding that if a big name free agent or star becomes available via trade, or one of your draft picks becomes a super star.. you break that "internal cap" but you try to keep the current core inside that frame work. It may not work or even be something Yzerman is trying to accomplish. Just lots of bored speculation as we wait for something real to happen.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
The problem is, Mo is the most valuable player in the organization.

If they can convince him to take the same as Larkin, great. But he's absolutely the most valuable player in the organization.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
The problem is, Mo is the most valuable player in the organization.

If they can convince him to take the same as Larkin, great. But he's absolutely the most valuable player in the organization.

I don't disagree on Mo being our most important player, it's more of a hope for some of the fan base maybe that in today's NHL you can get a culture like that..

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I don't disagree on Mo being our most important player, it's more of a hope for some of the fan base maybe that in today's NHL you can get a culture like that..
That's what I'm hoping for, too. Wouldn't cry about Seider anywhere under $9.5M, though.

Those three all locked up for ~$25M for the next 7 years would be ridiculous.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad