Speculation: Raymond Seider Contract Speculation

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I throw a 8 year 9-9.5 per at Seider and don't blink twice. For Raymond I think we could bridge deal. Say a 4-5 yr 7.5 per and hope he doesn't vastly exceed it say strong 2 way play ppg level so we have to pay him 10+ per on his ufa deal.

Now as to when the deals get signed, I say probably like 1-2 weeks before camp.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
What.

1) Yzerman isn't looking hard at buying out Holl. Fans hate Holl. The Red Wings don't. They'd be willing to buy him out for using the money for a better player and wouldn't jealously cling to Justin Holl.. But they also don't view him as the literal spawn of Satan that "smart" fans on HFboards seem to think he is.

2) You "penny-pinch" and play "hard-ass" on long term deals because 8x8 or 8x9 is a significant investment into a player. Long term, high dollar contracts to players on RFA deals are not something that you run headlong into without a brain.

3) I would be surprised if they came out of this with a bridge deal and I'd be blown away if Yzerman was considering that seriously... unless he's got some other move planned that he'll need a couple million for. However, I would not be surprised if Claude Lemieux or Raymond's agent wasn't looking at this saying, give us 2x6 or 3x6, making the assumption that the cap will go boom boom in the next couple years and they can land an 8x10 or 8x11 instead of 8x7 or 8x8 right now.

#2 is SO true.

It's amazing how Y has done very well at signing the better players to good contracts, and atrocious at signing weak players to bad contracts.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I throw a 8 year 9-9.5 per at Seider and don't blink twice. For Raymond I think we could bridge deal. Say a 4-5 yr 7.5 per and hope he doesn't vastly exceed it say strong 2 way play ppg level so we have to pay him 10+ per on his ufa deal.

You should always hope the player gets as good as he can.

GoBoltz56

Brisebois 1st Rounder
Jul 31, 2004
Tampa and Michigan
With the cap going up the way it is, I think they would both take shorter 3-4 year deals similar to Debrincat. Then cash in on an 8 year big money deal after that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What.

1) Yzerman isn't looking hard at buying out Holl. Fans hate Holl. The Red Wings don't. They'd be willing to buy him out for using the money for a better player and wouldn't jealously cling to Justin Holl. But they also don't view him as the literal spawn of Satan that "smart" fans on HFboards seem to think he is.
They played the dude in 38 out of a possible 82 games and then Yzerman just lamented the fact they had a bunch of money sitting in the press box every night last year.

So yeah... don't think the Wings are too big on Holl.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
With the cap going up the way it is, I think they would both take shorter 3-4 year deals similar to Debrincat. Then cash in on an 8 year big money deal after that.

Yep. That's why I think it's dragging out some. Agents aren't stupid and see the way the cap is going.
Yzerman wants to lock in now and they'll want to get a solid salary now for a year or two and push for much higher in a couple years.

So like 3x6.5 then aim for 10M+

And TBF, they're probably saying 2-4x7 or 8 as the starting point and Yzerman is like "Naw, man, that's the long term price."

If I had to guess, I think Raymond extends 8 years at 7.75 (close to Debrincat but longer term) and Seider gets 3x6 because Turtle is wagering that the cap raise will justify a 8/90.

Reactions: GoBoltz56

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
#2 is SO true.

It's amazing how Y has done very well at signing the better players to good contracts, and atrocious at signing weak players to bad contracts.
Could it be that with weak’ players, he goes shorter term and doesn’t care about the AAV because he has the cap space and is looking to fill a need and role?

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Could it be that with weak’ players, he goes shorter term and doesn’t care about the AAV because he has the cap space and is looking to fill a need and role?

Look how that's working out? Many desperate to get rid of Holl among others. Those crap signings are hurting the team. Without them they likely don't have to pay SJ to take Walman.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Look how that's working out? Many desperate to get rid of Holl among others. Those crap signings are hurting the team. Without them they likely don't have to pay SJ to take Walman.
As a Habs fan I haven’t followed it as closely as my own team. What was the deal with Walman?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

You still think about it. Seider is not currently worth 9 mil a season. We give him near that with the hope he becomes worth that and more.

As a Habs fan I haven’t followed it as closely as my own team. What was the deal with Walman?

No one knows as Yzerman is very tight lipped with few leaks. Only things we have are rumours of him being cleared to play after he was injured but apparently electing to hold himself out of the lineup a little bit longer. Also when he was scratched a little bit later, Lalonde made some comment about "him not being himself", but no one knows what he meant by that.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
You still think about it. Seider is not currently worth 9 mil a season. We give him near that with the hope he becomes worth that and more.

No one knows as Yzerman is very tight lipped with few leaks. Only things we have are rumours of him being cleared to play after he was injured but apparently electing to hold himself out of the lineup a little bit longer. Also when he was scratched a little bit later, Lalonde made some comment about "him not being himself", but no one knows what he meant by that.
Wow added to the fact that Walkman seemed to be liked by the fanbase, that must have been really confusing. Habs fans would have gone completely mad with a situation like that haha.

That said, I do like the future of Detroit. IMO, maybe lacking another couple top end pieces but you can see they’re going to be a very hard team to play against

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
When CAPTAIN Larkin took a pay cut, so will Seider and Raymond do, because they are not gonna be the greedy bastards for this core.

If I were them, I wouldn't take any pay cuts - to make the team better! No money left for the next Holl!

:nod:

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
I feel like the cost goes up every day there's no deal and another comparable comes in...

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I think this is good for DET and Seider. Fairly comparable as players in role now and going forward. Big minute top pair, PK1, Spot PP1 duty guyuntil the heir apparent PP1 QB comes in. (ASP, Buium)

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Yeah, with the Power, Sanderson, Faber signings in the past year... the one and only thing that could possibly hold Seider's cap down is if Yzerman manages to talk both Ray and Mo into taking matching Larkin deals.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022

The paid SJ a 2nd round pick to TAKE Walman. If not for all the bad deals, his contract likely wouldn't have been bad enough to jettison and give something up. So damn stupid. But its like here at work, managers make a bad hire and keep them, instead of admitting they made a mistake and getting rid of the bad hire. It's the same with these bad signings.

Yeah, with the Power, Sanderson, Faber signings in the past year... the one and only thing that could possibly hold Seider's cap down is if Yzerman manages to talk both Ray and Mo into taking matching Larkin deals.

Would you approve of that?

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Wow added to the fact that Walkman seemed to be liked by the fanbase, that must have been really confusing. Habs fans would have gone completely mad with a situation like that haha.

That said, I do like the future of Detroit. IMO, maybe lacking another couple top end pieces but you can see they’re going to be a very hard team to play against
People liked Walman because he did the griddy dance and he looked okay playing with Mo Seider for half a season in 2022-23. Never mind the fact that Walman was just every bit as bad as Justin Holl when leaned on at all, fans loved him and hated Holl and the team hated Walman and at least tolerated Holl.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
People liked Walman because he did the griddy dance and he looked okay playing with Mo Seider for half a season in 2022-23. Never mind the fact that Walman was just every bit as bad as Justin Holl when leaned on at all, fans loved him and hated Holl and the team hated Walman and at least tolerated Holl.
ya dat boi can jig. good at walking blue line too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad