Speculation: Raymond Seider Contract Speculation

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
IMO SY aint gonna pay either a higher AAV than larkin.

If im SY i try n lock up raymond for 8x8 or slightly more than that and then seider for slightly more than that up 8.7.

seider n raymond could play hard ball tho, b unfortunate if we have a nylander-esque situation with some1 not signed at the start of the season.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC

If im SY i try n lock up raymond for 8x8 or slightly more than that and then seider for slightly more than that up 8.7.

seider n raymond could play hard ball tho, b unfortunate if we have a nylander-esque situation with some1 not signed at the start of the season.
My feeling is that both will be signed by mid August. Seider 8x8.25 and Raymond 8X 7.8

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin

Agree with the bold - however I wouldn't be surprised to see both signing bridge deals and roll the dice with the upcoming CBA after 2025/2026 season.

Reactions: GoBoltz56

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
Agree with the bold - however I wouldn't be surprised to see both signing bridge deals and roll the dice with the upcoming CBA after 2025/2026 season.
Don't say that. I got roasted for suggesting that before free agency

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Don't say that. I got roasted for suggesting that before free agency
While I don’t expect any change in how the BoG and the NHLPA split the ‘hockey related revenue’ which is currently 50/50 - I do recall how some managers/owners would like to see a reduction of the length of contracts (max of 8 years down to 6 and UFA from 7 down to 5) - however that would likely prompt the players to seek UFA by the age of 25/26.

Reactions: Euro Twins

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
I wouldn't get hung up on Larkin's AAV. If we're using Larkin's contract as the benchmark for the rest of the team, I think it's the %of the cap it was when he signed it: 10.42% or a little over $9m, I think.
thought about the % of cap but would b super shocked if either get a higher AAV than larkin considering he best player right now n they were buying UFA years opposed to RFA years.

DougBodger

Sep 24, 2023
I think you're kidding yourself if you are not surprised these deals aren't done by now.

Not sure what is happening behind the scenes, but these contracts should have been priority #1 in the spring and here we are in almost August with no updates.

Reactions: Redwing66

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I think you're kidding yourself if you are not surprised these deals aren't done by now.

Not sure what is happening behind the scenes, but these contracts should have been priority #1 in the spring and here we are in almost August with no updates.
If I recall from reading an article - Yzerman is likely waiting to see what players are awarded via arbitration...Keep in mind the player agents may also be advising their client to sit tight.

I'm confident a deal will get done before training camp for both of them.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Tomas Harley is Seider-comparable from same draft who is also RFA to sign.

Probably it's a waiting game.

For Raymond, it's still Jarvis who are they waiting for.

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
What if Jarvis is waiting for Raymond?

Or Yzerman waiting both Harley and Jarvis, to show the final offers.

At least Dallas/Harley are in cap hell, so that deal could push Seider deal down a bit.

3igo27.png

Redwing66

Oct 3, 2020
Ridiculous our contracts are always waiting someone else to act. We penny pinch and act the hard ass to all long-term building block players that matter while doling out willy-nilly crazy money to guys like Holl in free agency and consider buying them out for dead cap hits for years to come. SY has the reputation now as a hard negotiator so these agents feel the need to question everything. If either of these two come in with a bridge deal it is a fail.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
Ridiculous our contracts are always waiting someone else to act. We penny pinch and act the hard ass to all long-term building block players that matter while doling out willy-nilly crazy money to guys like Holl in free agency and consider buying them out for dead cap hits for years to come. SY has the reputation now as a hard negotiator so these agents feel the need to question everything. If either of these two come in with a bridge deal it is a fail.
What.

1) Yzerman isn't looking hard at buying out Holl. Fans hate Holl. The Red Wings don't. They'd be willing to buy him out for using the money for a better player and wouldn't jealously cling to Justin Holl.. But they also don't view him as the literal spawn of Satan that "smart" fans on HFboards seem to think he is.

2) You "penny-pinch" and play "hard-ass" on long term deals because 8x8 or 8x9 is a significant investment into a player. Long term, high dollar contracts to players on RFA deals are not something that you run headlong into without a brain.

3) I would be surprised if they came out of this with a bridge deal and I'd be blown away if Yzerman was considering that seriously... unless he's got some other move planned that he'll need a couple million for. However, I would not be surprised if Claude Lemieux or Raymond's agent wasn't looking at this saying, give us 2x6 or 3x6, making the assumption that the cap will go boom boom in the next couple years and they can land an 8x10 or 8x11 instead of 8x7 or 8x8 right now.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023

I'm not surprised. Agents have the responsibility to look out for their players. Long term deals (6+ years) aren't tossed on either side in a hurried fashion.

I actually don't think that they would/should have been priority #1. I'm sure that they set aside around 16-17 million prior to the FA period for these contracts. So why exactly would you be running around chasing these deals when you have a plan for them. Raymond and Seider want to be here. The Wings want them here. The deals will be signed when they're signed.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ridiculous our contracts are always waiting someone else to act.

It's not anyhow ridiculous. If there's some incentive to wait for, then you wait.

It's just smart management.

They are gonna be signed for less, than anyone expects. Just like Larkin.

But until they are signed, doom and gloom people will dominate on this board.

Something bad HAS TO HAPPEN. :eek3::fight::amazed::baghead::banghead:

Reactions: dj4aces

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
It's not anyhow ridiculous. If there's some incentive to wait for, then you wait.

Larkin wasn't signed for less than anyone expected.

There was some people claiming he wasn't worth more than 7-7.5 and some people saying 9m max

But no one was clamouring for him to be signed for 8x10

Reactions: odin1981

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
“Yeah, we lost two important pieces, two guys that I know were loved by the fan base. But there’s hope. There’s more guys coming. I’m excited to be a part of it. I hope this isn’t my last contract in my career, or in Detroit. And I hope at the end of it I’m taking significant pay cuts because we’re adding guys at times like this.”

How Larkin said by himself, he felt he took a SIGNIFICANT PAY CUT.

And others will follow, or they will be traded away like Bertuzzi.
It's the team culture.

When CAPTAIN Larkin took a pay cut, so will Seider and Raymond do, because they are not gonna be the greedy bastards for this core.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
When CAPTAIN Larkin took a pay cut, so will Seider and Raymond do, because they are not gonna be the greedy bastards for this core.
He's talking about his next contract.

"I hope this isn’t my last contract in my career, or in Detroit. And I hope at the end of it I’m taking significant pay cuts because we’re adding guys at times like this."

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He's talking about his next contract.

"I hope this isn’t my last contract in my career, or in Detroit. And I hope at the end of it I’m taking significant pay cuts because we’re adding guys at times like this."

Yeah, so maybe both Seider and Raymond will take a 4-6-year bridge like Larkin did and how all Yzerman-signed Tampa guys did.

And let's SCARE about that!

Redwing66

Oct 3, 2020

No doom and gloom - there is simply no reason for this tooth extraction process when we hand washed up useless free agents bloated contracts. I'd rather have Larkin, Raymond, Seider signed ASAP and direct management's attention to the bad free agent signings that we continually see, we might have fewer buyout candidates every year.

I'm sure as we get into August and the media starts asking questions about the process people will start the do we trade them if they aren't team players questions like they did with Larkin during that negotiation.

The act is old - yes, we respect you as the ultimate negotiator Yzerman, just sign the damn kids and
look for a sixth goalie.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023
No doom and gloom - there is simply no reason for this tooth extraction process when we hand washed up useless free agents bloated contracts. I'd rather have Larkin, Raymond, Seider signed ASAP and direct management's attention to the bad free agent signings that we continually see, we might have fewer buyout candidates every year.

I'm sure as we get into August and the media starts asking questions about the process people will start the do we trade them if they aren't team players questions like they did with Larkin during that negotiation.

The act is old - yes, we respect you as the ultimate negotiator Yzerman, just sign the damn kids and
look for a sixth goalie.
It doesn’t sound like you respect how Yzerman negotiates at all.

And honestly, any morons starting the “should we trade them” talk should be banned on sight. There is literally zero indication that Raymond or Seider want anything but to skate in Detroit for the foreseeable future. The media and fans all have the patience of an 8 year old with full blown ADHD.

Now if we’re sitting here late in training camp and on the verge of starting the season with them unsigned… I would ratchet the worry up. Right now? Shit, right now, it’s possible that the Turtle is chilling on some beach somewhere and isn’t even talking to Yzerman about Seider for a few weeks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad