Speculation: Raymond Seider Contract Speculation

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

opivy

Sauce King
Sep 14, 2011
Columbus, OH
I can buy the location argument if we're comparing Tampa and Columbus, New York and Utah, Carolina and LA, but I don't buy it with Toronto. Original 6 franchise, near the families of a third of the league, great restaurants, night life etc. It's not the same as living in Tampa, but as someone who has done both, I'd choose Toronto without a second thought and I'm confident that a lot of NHL players would too. The crazy media and fan pressure is probably the biggest drawback to being an NHL player here.
Players in Florida pay less in taxes than players in Toronto. This is a huge impact as well, you have to pay more to put more in the players pockets in some states vs others.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Players in Florida pay less in taxes than players in Toronto. This is a huge impact as well, you have to pay more to put more in the players pockets in some states vs others.

Without being an expert in how this works, it seems Toronto has somewhat bypassed this by paying their big names heavily in signing bonuses.

The question is, does the player living somewhere else in the summer influence the taxes on that money. There never really does seem to be a clear answer, but the fact that they continue to do it would lead me to believe there's something to it.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Not with Yzerman... he also didn't set himself up like Dubas did to get bent over the barrel.
just wouldnt b shocked if 1 of the 2 wasnt signed before start of camp. i agree no way SY overpaying either.

in retrospect leafs b better off giving nylander 8x8 that year he was holding out.

Last edited:

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
just wouldnt b shocked if 1 of the 2 wasnt signed before start of camp. i agree no way SY overpaying either.

in retrospect leafs b better off giving nylander 8x8 that year he was holding out.

I expect Raymond and Seider are probably announced together.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I think it's safe to say whatever and whenever they sign is gonna be a bargain. Either term or money. Larkin, Raymond and Seider. He's strong arming them hard but it shows they should be competitive for a while. You can saybthe bad contracts with copp or holl but those guys were never part of the future core and no contract he has signed had handcuffed them.

Reactions: ShanahanMan

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
There are times to be a hard-ass during negotiations, trouble is when that's your only routine you can lose talent quickly both with these kids and with FA. I didn't appreciate the Larkin treatment and expected this with Mo, Ray and Berg. Instead of a celebration of talent and rewarding them it becomes a tooth pull...

What exactly is the Larkin treatment? Normal negotiating?

Reactions: David D

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Would be interesting, is someone offer-sheeted Seider for 11.4M and Raymond for 9.1M.

Compensation for Seider would be 2x 1st + 2nd + 3rd
and
compensation for Raymond would be 1st + 2nd + 3rd.

Reactions: David D

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Would be interesting, is someone offer-sheeted Seider for 11.4M and Raymond for 9.1M.

Compensation for Seider would be 2x 1st + 2nd + 3rd
and
compensation for Raymond would be 1st + 2nd + 3rd.
Those are really high numbers!

Reactions: lilidk

Redwing66

Oct 3, 2020
What exactly is the Larkin treatment? Normal negotiating?
There is always a worse case scenario where the team can’t sign the player and negotiations come to an impasse, players and fans come to question the players value and what the return would be in trade. Dylan, Mo and Ray are building blocks and cornerstones of the team. Losing any of them would set the team rebuild back years. Yzerman took the Larkin negotiations to that point where we questioned Larkins value. Just not a fan of the penny pinching, questioned values on top tiered talent. Who wants to go through that? Mo and Ray watched the Larkin nonsense and are acting accordingly in their negotiations.

JediOrderPizza

Apr 15, 2012
Tampa, Fl
Me checking everyday.

giphy.webp

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I have no idea what they asked and Yzerman offers, but I know that Yzerman is stingy, we also know that Johansson and Berggren still don't have contract

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I have no idea what they asked and Yzerman offers, but I know that Yzerman is stingy, we also know that Johansson and Berggren still don't have contract
I don't like we paid Kane for a year and now all the sudden tight with two corner-stone type players for the rebuild.

If he's not willing to pay these guys or even sign quality short-term deals, then what's even going on? It's not like the Red Wings are good and can hand out or ask for hometown discounts, or just get discounts period.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
There is always a worse case scenario where the team can’t sign the player and negotiations come to an impasse, players and fans come to question the players value and what the return would be in trade. Dylan, Mo and Ray are building blocks and cornerstones of the team. Losing any of them would set the team rebuild back years. Yzerman took the Larkin negotiations to that point where we questioned Larkins value. Just not a fan of the penny pinching, questioned values on top tiered talent. Who wants to go through that? Mo and Ray watched the Larkin nonsense and are acting accordingly in their negotiations.

Not really.

I don't like we paid Kane for a year and now all the sudden tight with two corner-stone type players for the rebuild.

If he's not willing to pay these guys or even sign quality short-term deals, then what's even going on? It's not like the Red Wings are good and can hand out or ask for hometown discounts, or just get discounts period.

You don't know why the GM is being more careful about potential 8 year deals with RFAs than a 1 year deal with a UFA?

Euro Twins

Healthy Scratch
Mar 19, 2016
If you are not a fan of penny pinching, might I suggest becoming a Leafs fan. They don't penny pinch anyone and have plenty of stars on the team. You also have the added advantage of losing in the first round every year and then declaring next to be "the year"

minimal

Apr 12, 2024

There's enough money to give both of them 8.5/year. Is that an overpay or underpay for you? They're going to get signed, don't be silly.

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Sugar-free Rock Star
May 11, 2023

What? They're not remotely tight. 8.5M x8 would be big contracts for them. It's not remotely tight. They can sign them to that tomorrow without doing anything. If they need an extra million, they can drop down a contract to the AHL.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Not really.

You don't know why the GM is being more careful about potential 8 year deals with RFAs than a 1 year deal with a UFA?
No, I don't.

What? They're not remotely tight. 8.5M x8 would be big contracts for them. It's not remotely tight. They can sign them to that tomorrow without doing anything. If they need an extra million, they can drop down a contract to the AHL.
What I mean by that is Yzerman is being "tight", penny pinching it seems when he's got enough to pay both, but willing to pay out for Kane easily.

I agree with you. I can't think of a reason Seider specifically is not signed 8.5x8 right now. Unless he's the one pushing for a bridge deal.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad