Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 3- D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
There is no blank check contract in the NH, the most any one player can be signed for is 20% of the salary cap. McDavid could have gotten that but gave Edmonton a discount in order to put good players around him.

Projecting Dahlin to become the best player in the sport seems a tad bold.

Dahlin doesn't have to be the best player in the game to become the highest paid player in the game.

Look at the NFL. The highest paid player is usually the latest franchise QB to sign a contract and not the best player in the game.

Right now, Auston Matthews is set to have the second highest cap hit in the league next season. But, he isn't the second best player in the game. He's making that much because his contract is so fresh.

Reactions: jc17

Dahlin 2 Eichel

Sep 21, 2013
Roaming The Sewers
Dahlin doesn't have to be the best player in the game to become the highest paid player in the game.

Look at the NFL. The highest paid player is usually the latest franchise QB to sign a contract and not the best player in the game.

Right now, Auston Matthews is set to have the second highest cap hit in the league next season. But, he isn't the second best player in the game. He's making that much because his contract is so fresh.

And Dubas is an idiot.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
cut.jpg

Calder Trophy winner debated by NHL.com

The Calder Trophy is a three-player race between defenseman Rasmus Dahlin of the Buffalo Sabres, forward Elias Pettersson of the Vancouver Canucks and goalie Jordan Binnington of the St. Louis Blues. Who will win the honor of best rookie when it is handed out during the 2019 NHL Awards presented by Bridgestone in Las Vegas on June 19? That remains to be seen, but we had five members of the NHL.com staff debate the merits of the finalists to see how the voting among the Professional Hockey Writers' Association could shake out.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
“Dahlin and Binnington each had great seasons but neither produced more nor helped their team more than Pettersson.”

This is a hilarious line. The forward produced more than the defenseman and the goalie guys. And Binnington helped his team more.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
cut.jpg

Calder Trophy winner debated by NHL.com

The Calder Trophy is a three-player race between defenseman Rasmus Dahlin of the Buffalo Sabres, forward Elias Pettersson of the Vancouver Canucks and goalie Jordan Binnington of the St. Louis Blues. Who will win the honor of best rookie when it is handed out during the 2019 NHL Awards presented by Bridgestone in Las Vegas on June 19? That remains to be seen, but we had five members of the NHL.com staff debate the merits of the finalists to see how the voting among the Professional Hockey Writers' Association could shake out.

Spoiler: Not one of them picks Dahlin. Like, do people not realize that no 18-year-old D has been able to come into the league and do what Dahlin did since the 1980s? Or do they see that and think "nah, the goalie who played 30 games/the forward who had the type of rookie season we see at least once every couple years is clearly more impressive"?

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Spoiler: Not one of them picks Dahlin. Like, do people not realize that no 18-year-old D has been able to come into the league and do what Dahlin did since the 1980s? Or do they see that and think "nah, the goalie who played 30 games/the forward who had the type of rookie season we see at least once every couple years is clearly more impressive"?
Seriously, Barzal had a better season literally LAST YEAR.

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
“Dahlin and Binnington each had great seasons but neither produced more nor helped their team more than Pettersson.”

This is a hilarious line. The forward produced more than the defenseman and the goalie guys. And Binnington helped his team more.

Hard to produce more than the best ever at your age/position (pretty sure the player formerly known as our HC played some F)

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Says Buffalo told him to hit the gym instead of WC and that he trusts the management’s judgement. Indicates that he would have liked to play but throws no shade over the club and might use it as an excuse.

Rasmus Dahlin: Därför nobbade jag VM
He didn't mention it to the Buffalo media because he's due some substantial bonus money and didn't want to say the wrong thing and get traded. Have to respect him for that. A lot of players in the same situation would go for the trade. :sarcasm:

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
idk about the Calder this year. Putting my bias aside as well as I can it still seems like dahlin had a more impressive season than Peterson. I only watched maybe 5 Canucks games throughout the year but Peterson seemed to slow down a TON as the year went on, whereas dahlin seemed to only get better

Binnington, who cares. He played like 30 games. Good year and he won the cup but in my book he is still only going to be a slightly above average NHL goalie, if that. Right place right time

Reactions: Fearnot

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
idk about the Calder this year. Putting my bias aside as well as I can it still seems like dahlin had a more impressive season than Peterson. I only watched maybe 5 Canucks games throughout the year but Peterson seemed to slow down a TON as the year went on, whereas dahlin seemed to only get better

Binnington, who cares. He played like 30 games. Good year and he won the cup but in my book he is still only going to be a slightly above average NHL goalie, if that. Right place right time
But Peterson had the type of historic rookie season that hadn't been seen since Mat Barzal last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad