Player Discussion Rasmus Dahlin Part 3- D (1st Overall, 2018, Frölunda HC, SHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
80 point 27 minute a night superstar dman.

The McDavid/Crosby of defensemen.

Dahlins potential and ceiling absolutely dwarfs Eichels. After 4 years its safe to say Eichel was a little overhyped and isn't even a top 10 forward, let alone one of the top 5 who would be competing with McDavid for Art Ross trophies. Eichel is likely going to be this eras Mike Modano. ~80-85 points a season and a star player but never considered a superstar or top 10 player in the league.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
People seem to forget about Modano's growth from an offense only guy to a two way guy once Hitch got a hold of him.

It was also a similar transformation that Yzerman and Sakic made as they matured as pros.

Yep all three won rings because they learned how to be good players in every zone. I await being told again that expressing concern about Jack getting better there isn’t his job. :biglaugh:

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
Yep all three won rings because they learned how to be good players in every zone. I await being told again that expressing concern about Jack getting better there isn’t his job. :biglaugh:
He absolutely needs to improve there. But with age, I believe he gets better.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He absolutely needs to improve there. But with age, I believe he gets better.

There is something to be said for maturity resulting in improvement. One of the things that impresses me about Rasmus is how mature he already is. Jack just seems to be getting to that now. Having both of them dealing with the team in a professional manner, treating it like their vocation, is only going to be good for all of us. We’re going to get to see what they do in tandem on the ice. Hopefully it will be glorious.

Bringing this back around to being about the key person in this thread… No no, not Miro Heiskanen, Dahlin with this summer of training and this year of experience could be a most remarkable 19-year-old next year.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
People seem to forget about Modano's growth from an offense only guy to a two way guy once Hitch got a hold of him.

It was also a similar transformation that Yzerman and Sakic made as they matured as pros.
This is one of the reasons I would like to see a coach with a strong defensive focus. Drill those defensive fundamentals into these guys for a couple years. Even if that coach doesn't ultimately take them where they want to go. Those lessons will be ingrained and be a huge boon for guys like Jack and his growth as a player.

Reactions: Goathead

Hellinator

Mar 30, 2013
Buffalo
Okay, so now that it's not 5:30 AM, let's talk bonuses. There are two different categories of bonuses, "A" bonuses and "B" bonuses. For each set there is a maximum amount of money that can be assigned to that category (total) and also a maximum amount that can go for each item in that category (for "A" bonuses).
So for "A" bonuses, the total amount cannot exceed $850k. Furthermore, there cannot be more than $212.5k assigned to any specific item (that is to say, while a player may earn up to $850k in "A" bonuses, he cannot earn more than $212.5k in bonuses for the number of goals he scores). There are 10 different things for which a defenseman can earn "A" bonuses. Note that we do not know what the specific requirements were for Dahlin, but there are minimum standards that are required for the various items so we can know whether or not Dahlin would be eligible to earn a bonus under that item.
i) Ice time. A player must be in the top 4 in ice time on his team to qualify (a player may receive bonuses both for total ice time and ice time per game, but they cannot total more than $212.5k). In Dahlin's case, he was either third or fourth on the team in average ice time (it is unclear whether or not Montour qualifies, I'd assume he doesn't) and second in total ice time. So Dahlin could receive a bonus based on his ice time.
ii) Goals. A defenseman must score at least 10 goals to be eligible for a bonus here. Dahlin does not qualify.
iii) Assists. A minimum of 25 is required here, which Dahlin meets. I'll note here that while 25 is the minimum number of assists that a player can receive a bonus for, that is not necessarily what Dahlin's bonus is for. Also, while he could hit a bonus for 25 assists, he could also receive a further bonus for a higher number, so long as those bonuses do not total more than $212.5k.
iv) Points. 40 points are the minimum for bonus eligibility here, so Dahlin could also receive bonuses in this category.
v) Points per game. .49 points per game is the minimum qualification here, so Dahlin again qualifies.
vi) Plus-Minus. The player must be among the top three defensemen on the team in that category. Considering game played requirements, it looks like Dahlin is tied for third here, which means he should be eligible.
vii) Blocked shots. The player must be among the top two defensemen on the team to qualify. Dahlin is 5th here, so does not qualify.
viii) Making the NHL All-Rookie Team. We do not have the results here yet, but it seems a given that Dahlin will make it, so he will be eligible here.
ix) Selected for the NHL All-Star Game. This did not happen. Dahlin is not eligible for bonuses here.
x) All-Star Game MVP. Likewise, it's hard to be the All-Star MVP when you aren't selected in the first place.

So what we have learned so far is pretty much nothing. There are numerous bonuses that Dahlin hypothetically is eligible for, but we have no idea what was actually written into his contract. We only know there are a few things that Dahlin could not have gotten bonuses for as he did not meet the minimum requirements to be eligible for a bonus there, but we do not know how many, if any, of those were things for which he had a bonus in his contract.

On to "B" bonuses. "B" bonuses are based on league awards or league-wide achievements. While the League itself gives out bonuses for these items, teams are likewise able to give their own bonuses beyond what the League provides, noting that there are some areas where the league may grant a bonus but the team cannot, and also provided that the team cannot assign more than $2M in potential "B" bonuses in a season.
The team can give bonuses for the following awards: Hart, Richard, Vezina, Jennings, Norris, Conn Smythe, Selke. That's it. While the league gives out bonuses for a few other awards (such as the Byng and Calder, or being a First or Second Team All-Star), teams cannot. So Dahlin is not eligible for any "B" bonuses from the Sabres due to being a Calder finalist.
Furthermore, defensemen can earn bonuses for being top-1o in the league (among defensemen) in the following categories: Goals, Assists, Points, Ice Time, Points Per Game. Dahlin was tied for 29th in goals, tied for 21st in assists, tied for 21st in points, 70th in Ice Time per game, 38th in aggregate Ice Time and tied for 29th in points per game. So he does not qualify for any bonuses either from the League or from the Sabres here.

So, to sum everything up, while Dahlin may have met any or all of the "A" bonuses negotiated between himself and the team, it appears he did not meet any of the "B" bonuses. While he will receive a bonus from the league based on his Calder finish, he will not receive any bonus from the Sabres for doing so. The maximum amount in bonuses that Dahlin could have met this season is $850k.

This is a noteworthy contribution. Thank you for taking the time!

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I'd love to see a highlight reel of some of the creativity he displayed that didn't lead to a Sabres goal this year. I feel like it'd be quite the montage.

I particularly recall a couple of dangles mid-season: one in which he turned Malkin inside-out, and another when he danced around pretty much the entire opposition in the o-zone after holding the puck in at the line (Minnesota, maybe?).

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I'd love to see a highlight reel of some of the creativity he displayed that didn't lead to a Sabres goal this year. I feel like it'd be quite the montage.

I particularly recall a couple of dangles mid-season: one in which he turned Malkin inside-out, and another when he danced around pretty much the entire opposition in the o-zone after holding the puck in at the line (Minnesota, maybe?).
I've started my re-watching and video-collecting of this season, and in the very first game I already had to grab like 3 random little things he did that amazed me. Now, I'm filming with a potato so it's not going to be high quality video but I'll try and remember to make/post a video collage of things he does that we've all forgotten

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016

Yes, against the Wild. He showed amazing strength with one hand on his stick, edgework too of course.

Don't forget his Datsyukian move against the Predators.

Strexvale

Mar 8, 2007
East Aurora, NY

This one's got some of those in it.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Was dying to find out if the freezer was full of ice cream treats

I thought the Frolunda Indians jerseys were pretty cool

valet

obviously adhd
Sponsor
Jan 26, 2017
buffalo
There is something to be said for maturity resulting in improvement. One of the things that impresses me about Rasmus is how mature he already is. Jack just seems to be getting to that now. Having both of them dealing with the team in a professional manner, treating it like their vocation, is only going to be good for all of us. We’re going to get to see what they do in tandem on the ice. Hopefully it will be glorious.

Bringing this back around to being about the key person in this thread… No no, not Miro Heiskanen, Dahlin with this summer of training and this year of experience could be a most remarkable 19-year-old next year.
he could be a 60 pt dman at the age of 19.... sounds kind of crazy to say, but he wasn't all that far off in his first year

Reactions: Chainshot

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Given the number of primary scoring chances he set up as an 18 year old and a powerplay that was middling at its best there is easy room to hit 60 next year with just a little luck and a powerplay that he is consistently on and doesn’t vanish for long long long stretches. His ice time will go up some too.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Modano was considered both a superstar and top 10 player in the league

Modano was not a top 10 player in the league. Maybe top 10 forward. He only scored more then 85 twice and that was the early 90s when LaFontaine was scoring 148 points and Mogo 76 goals. He was pretty much a 75-85 point player every year which Eichel is now.

When there was guys Fedorov, Yzerman, Pavel Bure,Sakic, Forsberg, Jagr, Lemieux, Gretzky, Sundin, Messier, Kariya, Hull, Turgeon,Selanne etc Modano was never a top 5 player and was not a superstar. Superstar is Jagr, Gretzky, Sakic, Yzerman,Forsberg etc. Modano was in the 2nd tier as a star player with Adam Oates, Sundin, Francis etc. Still very good but never one of the very best.

From 1990-2004 Modano was the 10th highest scorer but when you factor in ppg he drops to 22nd. Again he was never a top 10 player aside from maybe 2 seasons. He averaged virtually exactly a ppg from 90-04. 82 points a season is very good not superstar. Not bashing Modano at all but if Eichel is "only" a Modano level then again its a little disappointing when he was hyped up as a budding future superstar. Superstar is scoring 100+ points and carrying a team. 80-85 points a season is not a superstar just a star.

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
Swedish piece on Dahlin at home in Buffalo
Looks like Mittelstadt was hiding some snus there :laugh: I could be wrong though.

The story about that Thornton stick was shocking to Dahlin as it was Thornton who asked if he could get Rasmus' stick. Rasmus then asked if he could get Thornton's stick and that's why it's there.

Reactions: Chainshot

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
Modano was not a top 10 player in the league. Maybe top 10 forward. He only scored more then 85 twice and that was the early 90s when LaFontaine was scoring 148 points and Mogo 76 goals. He was pretty much a 75-85 point player every year which Eichel is now.

When there was guys Fedorov, Yzerman, Pavel Bure,Sakic, Forsberg, Jagr, Lemieux, Gretzky, Sundin, Messier, Kariya, Hull, Turgeon,Selanne etc Modano was never a top 5 player and was not a superstar. Superstar is Jagr, Gretzky, Sakic, Yzerman,Forsberg etc. Modano was in the 2nd tier as a star player with Adam Oates, Sundin, Francis etc. Still very good but never one of the very best.

From 1990-2004 Modano was the 10th highest scorer but when you factor in ppg he drops to 22nd. Again he was never a top 10 player aside from maybe 2 seasons. He averaged virtually exactly a ppg from 90-04. 82 points a season is very good not superstar. Not bashing Modano at all but if Eichel is "only" a Modano level then again its a little disappointing when he was hyped up as a budding future superstar. Superstar is scoring 100+ points and carrying a team. 80-85 points a season is not a superstar just a star.

Modano was one of the best players I have ever watched in the history of the league and I will straight up fight anyone who says otherwise, I could give a flying f*** what the point totals say. If you paired him with Mogilny, Selanne, Hull, or one of those Oilers teams he would have straight up scored 200 points. He single-handedly carried that dumpster fire of a team in Minnesota to relevance as a teenager. On top of that, like Yzerman, he quickly learned that his 200' game needed to mature if he was ever going to win the cup. The only, and I mean only, good thing that came out of that '99 final was seeing one of my childhood idols raise the cup (on tape delay, I was way too pissed to watch it live).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad