Value of: Rasmus Andersson to Montreal?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WentWughes

Apr 16, 2023
With Montreals current situation, trying to accelerate the rebuild and acquire quality players that fit a need but don’t compromise the long term. What would be the likely asking price for Andersson? Montreal has significant strength on the left side but they are very young and unproven on the right side with Reinbacher and Mailloux in the pipeline and could benefit with a more experienced well rounded dman like Rasmus with Savard being a flawed and aging player. Is this a player the Flames would part ways with? If so what would it likely cost the Habs?

Added after : this would be all depending if we could have sone degree of certainty of him signing longer term. Also not before this season begins but the following tdl or off season when Savard is slated to part ways with the Canadiens.

Last edited:

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Would the Flames part ways with Andersson? Absolutely, whether they want to say it publicly or not the team is in a rebuild.

What would the cost be? no idea, I imagine there would be several teams interested with his bargain contract. Flames still have 2 retention slots also if the offer is really good. Based on what Conroy has done so far they'd want back a player who can play now (not a pure cap dump) and some form of futures.

kyne

Oct 24, 2007
Andersson is a good player and I think he would fit in with the Habs. I suspect Hughes wants to see how the kids play before making any kind of move They do have Savard and several lefties like Guhle and Arber who can play right.

Last edited:

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Accelerating the rebuild isn't a bad idea to consider, but Andersson would be too costly to bring in, considering his aquisition cost and the Habs prospect pool.

I also think other teams would value him higher than the Habs do (given their pool), and would be outbid for that reason.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
With Montreals current situation, trying to accelerate the rebuild and acquire quality players that fit a need but don’t compromise the long term. What would be the likely asking price for Andersson? Montreal has significant strength on the left side but they are very young and unproven on the right side with Reinbacher and Mailloux in the pipeline and could benefit with a more experienced well rounded dman like Rasmus with Savard being a flawed and aging player. Is this a player the Flames would part ways with? If so what would it likely cost the Habs?
fun one.

Andsersson for Savard (TDL value) + Anderson (2026 TDL value/cap dump negative value) + Mailloux + Beck + 2025 1st (top 2 protection)+ Mesar + 2nd.

This is a trade the Flames have to win to make. Otherwise there is no incentive to make it.

Savard brings back at least a 2nd in 2025 when he’s traded at the deadline.

Last edited:

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Montreal's window probably doesn't open for another three or so seasons. So I'm not sure that Andersson fits the logical timeline when factoring in acquisition cost.

The Habs are better off letting things play out and developing their prospects with favorable icetime. They're not all going to hit and some will need to be moved for these types of established pieces in future years.

The biggest hole right now is the lack of a true #1 center and more often than not, competitive teams get that from the draft.

Last edited:

WentWughes

Apr 16, 2023
Montreal's window probably doesn't open for another three or so seasons. So I'm not sure that Andersson fits the logical timeline when factoring in acquisition cost.

The Habs are better off letting things play out and developing their prospects with favorable icetime. They're not all going to hit and done will need to be moved for these types of established pieces.

The biggest hole right now is the lack of a true #1 center and more often than not, competitive teams get that from the draft.
The counter argument would be that when Montreal is ready to compete in 2-3 years Anderson would be 30 ish with plenty of tread left on the tires. Also Suzuki is by no means an elite or franchise centre but he is certainly a #1 centre at this point. This would be a move for when they part ways with Savard to have a long term top 4 RHD and veteran presence with all of the young and developing dmen.

A bunch of solid but not great prospects. Mesar looks bustish. Beck is a middle six guy as his best case.

Calgary may want more quality. I do like Mailloux. He’s the key.
Plus a 1st and 2nd? As well as moving Josh Anderson for not any real reason? Possibly the worst trade proposal I have ever seen. We can wait for the Anderson contract to expire and not part ways with quality pieces for no reason.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The counter argument would be that when Montreal is ready to compete in 2-3 years Anderson would be 30 ish with plenty of tread left on the tires. Also Suzuki is by no means an elite or franchise centre but he is certainly a #1 centre at this point. This would be a move for when they part ways with Savard to have a long term top 4 RHD and veteran presence with all of the young and developing dmen.

Plus a 1st and 2nd? As well as moving Josh Anderson for not any real reason? Possibly the worst trade proposal I have ever seen. We can wait for the Anderson contract to expire and not part ways with quality pieces for no reason.
But why waste the assets to dump contracts that aren't hurting the team now? Andersson's favorable cap number now doesn't really bring much to the table for Montreal knowing they're a bubble team today at best.

When comparing Suzuki to the centers he'll have to face on the road to a Cup Final, he doesn't show well. It's a noticeable weakness of the Montreal roster. Their wing depth and D depth are certainly coming together though.

Reactions: Ciao

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida

You’re getting your top pair RHD in this trade. It’s going to cost a fortune. You realize this don’t you.

Reactions: bert

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
fun one.

Andsersson for Savard (TDL value) + Anderson (2026 TDL value/cap dump negative value) + Mailloux + Beck + 2025 1st (top 2 protection)+ Mesar + 2nd.

This is a trade the Flames have to win to make. Otherwise there is no incentive to make it.

Savard brings back at least a 2nd in 2025 when he’s traded at the deadline.
Hahahaha

Massive overpayment, must be a joke

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
How could we possibly acquire a top pairing dman and not sacrifice the long term?

WentWughes

Apr 16, 2023
How could we possibly acquire a top pairing dman and not sacrifice the long term?
Kent Hughes, that is how. But on a serious note parting ways with some assets I wouldn’t consider sacrificing long term especially If Andersson ended up extending with the Habs. We have a surplus of draft picks and prospects that could be used in combination with a younger player to get the deal done. As long as it was not a massive overpayment I would not consider it sacrificing the future.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Habs top 5 prospects are untouchable. Especially for a D like Anderson who's not a bonafide #1D. We already have Guhle with a similar skil set

Their 2025 1st isnt for sale either unless there is a top20 protection on it.

I can see a world where Habs give their 2026 1st rder, a prospect not named Beck Mailloux Demidov Hage or Reinbacher and a roster player like Anderson

• Haha
Reactions: MisterT and Haatley

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It’s not a trade that makes sense for Montreal. He doesn’t fit their timeline and they’ve invested heavily in D with draft picks. Winnipeg or St Louis are better trade partners. Maybe Minnesota?

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
If Andersson is still a Flames next year draft and MTL pick is +/- top 10 i would offer as a base

Mailloux and the first for Andersson

WentWughes

Apr 16, 2023
Should have clarified, this move for me would not be this off season that I would prefer but rather the following off season or trade deadline when Savard is either traded or walks. No sense doing it at this point but if he is on the market at the tdl this year or during the summer I think he would be a fantastic long term answer. The main part would be if management believe they could extend him of course as even next year having him just for a season would be counter productive. It would not be sacrificing the future by moving assets for him because the idea is he would be part of that future for 5-6 years.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
It’s not a trade that makes sense for Montreal. He doesn’t fit their timeline and they’ve invested heavily in D with draft picks. Winnipeg or St Louis are better trade partners. Maybe Minnesota?
They have in fact invested a lot in D prospects in the last 5 years. However, it’s not a matter of pool as much as a problem of experience and growing as a D core, specifically on the right side.

The Habs cannot send out Reinbacher and Mailloux as RD1 and RD2 for the next 4 years, they’ll get caved in. Habs have a huge gap in experience thanks to the previous regime. They pretty much have to get a guy like Andersson for the next 5 or 6 years to help the development of the 2 above and protect them early on. Getting him or an equivalent is a necessity from my point of view. Also, Habs have been using their prized LD (Ghule) on the right for the last two seasons. This needs to stop as early as can be.

So ya, I’d pay a lot for Andersson or equivalent. The first picks in 25 and 26 are on the table, also the Pitts 25 2nd rounder and the Cbus 26 second rounder as well. A combo of one each gets the ball rolling and a prospect that fits CGY needs. obviously not the big ones (Habs can’t trade a RD in that trade, unless Barron but whatev with him).

WentWughes

Apr 16, 2023
They have in fact invested a lot in D prospects in the last 5 years. However, it’s not a matter of pool as much as a problem of experience and growing as a D core, specifically on the right side.

The Habs cannot send out Reinbacher and Mailloux as RD1 and RD2 for the next 4 years, they’ll get caved in. Habs have a huge gap in experience thanks to the previous regime. They pretty much have to get a guy like Andersson for the next 5 or 6 years to help the development of the 2 above and protect them early on. Getting him or an equivalent is a necessity from my point of view. Also, Habs have been using their prized LD (Ghule) on the right for the last two seasons. This needs to stop as early as can be.

So ya, I’d pay a lot for Andersson or equivalent. The first picks in 25 and 26 are on the table, also the Pitts 25 2nd rounder and the Cbus 26 second rounder as well. A combo of one each gets the ball rolling and a prospect that fits CGY needs. obviously not the big ones (Habs can’t trade a RD in that trade, unless Barron but whatev with him).
Agreed on every point stated and very well said.

Reactions: Gustave

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008

Shit three prospects, a top 10 and a second, fantasy land, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad