Player Discussion Rasmus Andersson breakout

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
How? He's statistically been one of the best shutdown dmen 4 out of the last 5 seasons?
"advanced" metrics for defense are more than flawed, they're practically useless since they are all corsi/shot based. He's an excellent offensive defenseman, which massively skews those numbers.

Kahvi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I'd re-sign him, if he's willing to do a reasonable deal. 6 years at maybe $7M per*. Make sure you know what he wants to do, and if there's no clear reply, see what the market is at the TDL, 50% retained if needed.

If there isn't good enough deal, wait until July, and see again if he's willing to sign, and if not, trade him.

So basically it all depends what he's asking for.
*no idea what's the market price for Andersson calibre players.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Well considering he is still under contract for 2 years and his next contract will almost double his AAV at likely max term, your suggestion is we keep him for 2-3 out of 8 good years left? Seems like flawed logic
I used the wrong word. Elite is what I meant. You trade Rasmus and you’ll be searching for another Rasmus for a long time.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
We just drafted Parekh who's ceiling is much higher than Ras's. Had we not gone from last to arguably 1st in RD prospect depth since last year I would have been completely on board with extending him
I’m starting to see the logic on both sides. On one hand we have strong internal replacements, so if we can trade Andersson to fix our hole at C prospects you do it. On the other hand, a 6 year deal for Andersson makes this an extremely smooth transition to handing over the reigns to one of Brzustewicz or more likely Parekh. They’ll be 24-25 as the deal hits it last year or two, and should be fully ready to take the mantle. Also helps us ease them in over the next few years, if we trade Andersson we have absolutely no one to insulate them behind.

Bahl-Andersson
Weegar-Parekh
X-Brzustewicz

That could take us right back to having an elite defense in 4-5 years.

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
If Ras keeps up his play he'll be wanting at minimum $9+ mil for 7/8 years for his next contract. We could get an absolute haul for him if we traded him (way more than Hanifin IMO), but you look at teams like San Jose or Chicago who went full tear down and have no d-men and look to be bad (like really really bad) teams for 3+ more years before becoming just mediocre. Buffalo had to draft two first overalls and I'd argue the Flames still have a better d-core overall.

^^^ if Flames have faith in Parekh and Bru, I move him, they're both projected to be top 4ish guys and if you sign Ras long term one of them is either playing LD, or bottom pairing going forward.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
If Ras keeps up his play he'll be wanting at minimum $9+ mil for 7/8 years for his next contract. We could get an absolute haul for him if we traded him (way more than Hanifin IMO), but you look at teams like San Jose or Chicago who went full tear down and have no d-men and look to be bad (like really really bad) teams for 3+ more years before becoming just mediocre. Buffalo had to draft two first overalls and I'd argue the Flames still have a better d-core overall.

^^^ if Flames have faith in Parekh and Bru, I move him, they're both projected to be top 4ish guys and if you sign Ras long term one of them is either playing LD, or bottom pairing going forward.
Bottom pairing until about the age of 23-24, a young age for a defenseman still and an age where it’s still not the worst idea to be sheltered. Bottom pairing isn’t equivocal to playing 4th line forward where offensive opportunities and ice time are limited, defense can grow their game extremely well there and still can see up to 17 minutes a night in the role. Parekh would almost be able to see 18-19 minutes in the role given the almost foregone conclusion he’d be our top PPQB as well, and would still be able to learn the defensive side of the game against weaker forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad