Rumor: Rantanen Extension is Close???

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
I'd be ready to bet Rantanen will be part of this team a year from now.
He's in a perfect position for success so I don't see him wanting to leave the only NHL team he has played for. It has to be home to him by now, and all his professional successes have come with this group. I'd imagine that would be hard to leave. How much does it matter to a super rich person if they can make 2-3 million dollars more somewhere else, when they make over 10 million a year? Greed isn't actually celebrated or appreciated in his culture either. What does a Finn need that much money for? You can only retire in one lakeside cabin.

Obviously the agent will tell him to hold and raise his value as much as possible before opening negotiations. His job is to get the biggest penny from it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He's in a perfect position for success so I don't see him wanting to leave the only NHL team he has played for. It has to be home to him by now, and all his professional successes have come with this group. I'd imagine that would be hard to leave. How much does it matter to a super rich person if they can make 2-3 million dollars more somewhere else, when they make over 10 million a year? Greed isn't actually celebrated or appreciated in his culture either. What does a Finn need that much money for? You can only retire in one lakeside cabin.

Obviously the agent will tell him to hold and raise his value as much as possible before opening negotiations. His job is to get the biggest penny from it.
He pushed his contract as far as he reasonably could the last time, it is reasonable he will do the same here. I think he will sign, but there isn't any real reason he shouldn't push for as much as he can get.

Reactions: Marioesque

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
but there isn't any real reason he shouldn't push for as much as he can get.

The reason why Panthers players sign cheap deals. Easier to have success when a couple of people don't cost half the roster, like Leafs. If winning is the goal then taking a bit less might help in that. If he just wants to maximize money, he'll get that elsewhere.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland

Also Rantanen doesn't seem to me to be that kind of greedy. I mean, to the level that "Fine, I'll go elsewhere". And absolutely the agent tried to get as good contract as possible done.

There's very few cases in somewhat recent history where a player of this caliber actually moved. Panarin and Tavares for example. Both moved from a "never won a cup and doesn't look all that great right now either"-team to some kind of a dream destination. I don't think Rantanen has such a destination and no matter how badly you think Avalanche sucks based on last night, they still are one of the "pretty much contenders"-teams of the NHL.

Also, even if the media now says "Rantanen leaving Colorado?!?! :eek3:",I think I can find for every single similar level player that didn't sign an extension instantly a similar story - along with a story that tells how he is now signed and is extremely happy to stay there.

The reason why Panthers players sign cheap deals. Easier to have success when a couple of people don't cost half the roster, like Leafs. If winning is the goal then taking a bit less might help in that. If he just wants to maximize money, he'll get that elsewhere.
While I'm not saying you are wrong, I say that taxes is one reason for that.

I'd also remind of the information that Florida has absolutely dominated East. Has any other state team this decade won Eastern Finals?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He can get it here if he pushes it. The Avs lose more than Rantanen does if he walks. Rants as a UFA pushes $14 AAV and would have 25+ teams offering him. I'm guessing he'll give the Avs some break, but he's not signing for less than 11m... probably not less than 12m. If it was announced $13m x 8 here tomorrow, it wouldn't be all at surprising.

If Rantanen wasn't pushing for MacKish level money, this contract would have been done in July. If it was 11.25m x8... CMac would have agreed before Rants could think twice.

Reactions: Marioesque

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Looks the public negotiating has begun. It may not be pretty but I think it'll get done.

Plus, it must be any day now according to Jesse. No, any minute.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
He pushed his contract as far as he reasonably could the last time, it is reasonable he will do the same here. I think he will sign, but there isn't any real reason he shouldn't push for as much as he can get.
Him and Drai have the same agents drai signed… what gives

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
I think this team needs a re-tool badly but losing Rants for nothing would be brutal. Simply not acceptable.

If this was our plan.. it's a very poor plan. Rather trade him at the draft and move on and improve the depth of the team and goaltending.

Although I have to admit Landy and Nuke situations have done things extremely hard.

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont
I think this team needs a re-tool badly but losing Rants for nothing would be brutal. Simply not acceptable.

If this was our plan.. it's a very poor plan. Rather trade him at the draft and move on and improve the depth of the team and goaltending.

Although I have to admit Landy and Nuke situations have done things extremely hard.
I am in no hurry for a retool.

Landy getting that contract and then injured has really hurt us and Nuke pulling his shit after his contract has hurt us. We could have had another cup or 2 if not for those situations.

With those happening, we still were highly competitive during the season and made the playoffs.

I still remember the shit years and am in no hurry to return to them, the team as is constructed this minute isn't likely to win a cup, but is very likely to still make the playoffs, and as long as they can keep doing that, I am in no hurry for a tear down.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
What NHL city is geographically closest to his hometown ?

He'll sign there for the minimum.
Montreal, so in addition to a shorter commute at the beginning and end of the season, he would be playing with Laine. He might actually help Pat get back on track. Teach him to be an alpha dog.

You think we could get Carey Price from them in exchange?

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Him and Drai have the same agents drai signed… what gives

Edmonton paid up. Clearly the Avs haven't and probably won't.

The Avs will badly need a retool after this year and, IMO, that starts with cutting Rantanen loose. But, f***, that usually involved trading Rantenen when his value is at it's highest. Aka this last summer or the summer before that. Now the best they're getting for him is your standard star player rental package.

But I fully expect the Avs to hardball him all the way to him walking on July 1st.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
How is letting Rantanen walk a solution?

The guy is way too valuable to this team to let go. Even if it’s only to keep the window alive for a couple more years, you sign him.

Also… how big of an ‘L’ is it for the reporter who said the deal ‘should be done soon’ ages ago? He obviously just guessed, hoping to be right. Bad reporting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad